Thursday, March 9, 2006

AAR 2005 Annual Reader Poll

AAR has posted the results of their 2005 Annual Reader Poll.

As usual, I didn’t end up voting (too lazy) but I am quite interested to see the results and to see where my favourite reads of 2005 ended up.

Favourite Funny - Match Me If You Can, Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Most Luscious Love Story - Passion, Lisa Valdez

Best New Author - Lisa Valdez

Best Contemporary - Match Me If You Can, Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Strongest Heroine - Eve Dallas (“In Death” series by J.D. Robb)

Best Heroine - Blair Mallory (To Die For, Linda Howard)

I’d agree with all those above.

I didn’t read Diana Gabaldon’s latest (I gave up after the fourth one!) and I think I’ve got a few Loretta Chase books in my TBR pile, so I might have to drag those out. The most glommed author was Anne Stuart (never read her stuff, any good?) and Mary Balogh (really don’t like her writing at all).

What’s interesting about this poll is that often two novels or characters feature in two categories.

For example, Blair Mallory was named Best Heroine and Most Annoying Lead. Passion by Lisa Valdez was voted Most Luscious Love Story and Worst Read. Kind of goes to show how polarising books can be.

I really liked Passion, thought it was well written, evocative, erotic and emotional. But, I guess the pretty graphic nature of the sex scenes really put a lot of readers off. (Note that it was also voted Most Purple-est Prose, which I disagree with, it was explicit but not purple!)

What’s good about having this kind of poll is that it gives me a list of books and authors to keep an eye out for. Nothing like adding a few more books to the bookshelves.

Labels:


6 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

I've never heard of Lisa Valdez before but looked her up when i saw her on Tart's list of top reads last year. Most luscious love story? Definitely want to read taht one. LOL

Julie Garwood: author you gave up on. :( I REALLY wish she'll go back to writing historicals. Her suspense/comtemps are just.. bad. Oh please, Ms Julie, stop wasting your time and bring back the REAL Garwood books we love!

I've yet to read Loretta Chase and Anne Stuart. But Nora Roberts, read her once and didn't like it.

3/09/2006 05:40:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the only author I've read on that list was SEP. I loved Match Me! I have read Nora Roberts but not her J.D. Robb stuff. Will have to look into these others, esp. Most Luscious Love Story, Passion.

Harlot, what Nora Roberts did you read? I've read a lot of her and have enjoyed most of it. Just curious.

3/09/2006 09:17:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hey Vixen,

I can't remember the title but it's about witches sisters. I do remember why i bought it though. LOL I jsut finished reading Jill Barnett's BEWITCHING at the time and really liked it. I thought to read another book with a witch for a heroine LOL but end up being disappointed.

Trollop likes some of her books though. She said i should try.. oh god i forgot the title too! :S It's about a jewel thief, she said (babe, what's the title again?). Let's see.. i'll try it one of these days as NR books are EVERYWHERE here.

3/09/2006 12:04:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Harlot. Not sure if witches one is the same I liked. The one I'm thinking was witch cousins. LOL. She might have tons of witch books for all I know. The woman spits books out like crazy. So many.
My fav. nr book is the MacKade brothers. Sexy brothers, four of them, FOUR! Yummy. There's my rec. if you feel like trying it. The first book about Rafe and Jared is my fav. I love Rafe. *sigh*
Did you ever read Bridget Jones? Do I remember right that you hadn't read that yet?

3/09/2006 12:31:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh yes.. LOVE Bridget :D Right now, rereading a Garwood historical. I want to see if it's as good as i remember it. And, somehow, it's actually better, especially after all the crappy ones i've read lately.

3/09/2006 01:57:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, loved Edge of Reason. Bridget gets crazier and crazier. Although, Edge of Reason movie, not as good as book. But loved first Bridget Jones movie as much as book.
Did that make sense?

3/09/2006 03:17:00 PM