Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Bronze Horseman's Harlot


I discovered Paullina Simons by accident three years ago in a UBS when the books I’d gone to buy were not available. Since I refused to go home without purchasing at least one title, I dived into a mountain pile of possible new finds and came across a novel titled The Bronze Horseman.

Hmmm, I thought, acceptable cover, no half-naked man groping some buxom plastic blonde doll on a legless horse, interesting title too, kinda sounds kinky—one can only hope LOL. Not to mention, it has a plot I lurve: an epic drama with a love story alongside war (I need lovin’ on my books *g* no matter what genre, as I tend to get bored without it). So, even though I’ve never heard of this TBH, or its author, I decided to give it a try.

I thought I was just getting another WWII romance; but, oh boy... could I have ever been more wrong???

Never had I imagined the imprint TBH would leave on me. No other book has ever touched me like it did. EVER. It felt... like being a virgin—book virgin—touched for the very first time!—and TBH is this big, throbbing, powerful... er, book! The main characters’ (Alexander and Tatiana) love for each other is so overwhelming, so INCREDIBLY intense that I cannot help but feel their anguish, their adversity, their every passionate thought and pleasurable sensation. It can almost be likened to having mind-blowing sex that generates a drumbeat, pounding and pounding and pounding, until it feels like you can’t breathe and your soul and your heart will burst! Oh, my... *sigh* UNBELIEVABLY GOOD.

One can even say TBH spoiled me for other books; especially when you pair it with its wonderful and A MUST read sequel** Tatiana and Alexander (it’s surprisingly excellent when sequels don’t usually fare that well—like an unexpected second orgasm *wink*). I mean, how can I find any more exceptional reads when faced against such a compellingly beautiful story, unforgettable characters that will probably haunt me forever, and an exquisite love that burns the pages and my heart? *sniff* Like refusing to have sex with an ugly guy with a small cock who doesn’t know what foreplay means and will only last a minute, I refused to read terrible writers and their equally dreadful work marring the beautiful memory of my beloved Alexander and Tatiana. It even came to a point when I was already asking, what am I going to do now? How am I going to move on? How, how, how?!? *sob*

As of now, all books seem to pale in comparison with TBH and T&A. Of course there are other equally outstanding books (the Harry Potter series always come to mind), but never will there be another TBH/T&A for me. But, who knows, maybe I’ll get lucky and another stellar one will come by; I’m still yearning, hoping and looking. However, after all this time, after all the books I’ve read... I’m beginning to doubt there will actually ever be another Tatia and her Shura...

**In other countries, Tatiana and Alexander was released under a different title, The Bridge to Holy Cross.
***A third installment for this series has just been released last year, The Summer Garden. Though, I’m still looking for a copy, the injustice. *sniff*


P.S. It has come to my attention that a lot of people have now read/been reading TBH/T&A (even TSG!) because of my pushing. *big grin* I just want to say that these books are very special to me so it’s truly my pleasure as, apparently, they all loved it. Unfortunately, the one who should be reading it (Trollop!) is actually the only one who hasn’t yet—and to think she’s the only one I actually sent a copy of TBH to!!! Grrr... (See here how I first tried to convince Trollop to read TBH, that evil woman. Afer this post, she better read it now, especially when you think she’d rather read a lot of crap! Seriously!)


Related:

Labels:


37 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot, you're hilarious.
I've been throwing the idea around of getting TBH. I wasn't going to read it because it's so damn long, lol, but this blog may have put me over the edge. I can't remember ever hearing anyone talk about any book with so much passion before. Oh, wait maybe Trollop and Paradise?
I'm still working on getting Princess by GF that you rec'd, B&N so slow. errrr.
I may have to take a break from this blog for awhile,LOL, my TBR list is insane with your recs and I am spending SO much money on books!

3/21/2006 09:48:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know? Most times it is difficult for me to find the books you talk about in my country. Today, however, after searching it on the web page of a bookshop I've discovered they do have TBH!!!!! And there are many comments from other readers saying this is one of the best books they have ever read! Can't wait to get it!

3/21/2006 11:17:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Vixen, you have to read TBH!

Hope you get PRINCESS soon. Don't listen to Trollop about GF. She'd only read LORD OF ICE (have to admit, not a good one), and then based every GF book in it. *rolleyes*

Her ASCENSION trilogy is one of my fave romance series. I really loved it. :D

And, oh yeah, GET TBH!!! :P

3/21/2006 11:23:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hi Anon, welcome! Hope you can give us a name or if you prefer a nickname we can call you by so it won't be hard to recognize you ;) especially now that you're planning to get TBH. :D I love TBH lovers LOL. Of course, if you prefer to stay Anon, no problem really. LOL

I also live in a country where books are not that easily accessible. PS's books are not released here, but somehow i manage through good finds in the UBS.

I really hope you love TBH and please tell us what you think about it afterwards. :D

3/21/2006 11:31:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Sorry babe, like Anon, didn't see your comment immediately. :S

Anyway.. you Trollop, READ TBH!!! I don't care if you think you'll even cry blood, JUST READ IT!!!!!!!

3/21/2006 11:38:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm the Anon who has problems getting your books. My problem is that I don't have a blog (too shy, and too boring, maybe nothing interesting to say). Anyway, for your blog (that I true love) you can call me Gatxan.
You girls are great.
Gatxan.

3/21/2006 01:08:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this blog from FABB but have been lurking on your page for awhile now. I just recently read TBH and it was SO WORTH IT! It took me 2 all nighters (well 3am) and a chunk of another day but I read it in 3 days and would have in 1 or 2 if I didn't have to work. I agree it is seriously the best book I have ever read, I think even JM's Paradise pales in comparison. And don't worry, it does have sex! The first night I made the mistake of deciding to read until I got to the first sex scene so I wouldn't go to bed THAT depressed but it just didn't happen, the first real sex scene isn't till like page 400 or so but worth the wait. And I recommend having T and A on hand so you don't have to wait with the cliffhanger ending like I am. I think it is so well written that even though the situation in the book is the most horrifying and depressing stuff one can imagine, the love story is so strong and so well written that it doesn't seem as bad. I didn't think it was anywhere near as depressing as An Estate of Memory, Night, or other WWII books. A must read.
Angie B

3/21/2006 07:58:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hotmama,
Well you have to read TBH to know. :P Esp if you actually read OUTLANDER. Err, btw, 3 of it? :S

I love PARADISE and Matt Farrell is my fave hero ever, but its a different book from TBH. There's no comparison whatsoever.

>>>Harlot, this isn't a rave like the NOTEBOOK craze is it? Cuz I never read it and never will...Is TBH a "sensual" love story or just a love story??wink*
Um, what NOTEBOOK craze? TBH is more than a love story, it is a GIFT to all who love romance. ;)

3/21/2006 09:56:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hi Gatxan!

Oh honey, don't be shy. If you're worried about Trollop, i swear she doesn't bite. :D Hope we'll hear more from you, and thanks for liking our blog. :)


Hey Angie, welcome!
Glad you join us and that you love TBH too. :D Have you read TSG?

3/21/2006 10:01:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Harlot,

This is Jo.

I'm sure you recall my struggles with TBH. I adored Tatiana from the start, but just could not stand Alexander, remember? :)

Well, I may not be a big fan of Alexander but TBH is a powerful book and I'm very glad I read it.

Thanks for recommending it.

Take care,

Jo

3/21/2006 10:24:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot
Thanks. I haven't read TSG, actually I'm waiting for T&A come, it worked out perfectly as I finished reading it Sunday afternoon and as soon as I finished I looked for it on ebay and there was a copy going for only $5.00 so I'm impatiently waiting for it to arrive (I get almost all my books on ebay/half.com due to being a broke college student/military spouse since they have better prices than any used bookstore I've seen.) I already started looking for TSG and it seems nowhere to be found, especially in the U.S., but I guess it's being released in England in June so in the meantime I'm waiting like you.Though the review on Amazon says it isn't as good as the first two.
Angie

3/21/2006 11:13:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. Finished TBH Sunday, won T&A on ebay a few minutes after finishing TBH- to clarify my confusing msg above.
Angie

3/21/2006 11:14:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hi Jo,
Oh i remember LOL. Thoguh i wasn't that active in the BB anymore by taht time. :S Aynway, really glad though that you continued reading esp after Gina and Liya's encouragement. :D Take care and hi to the girls!


Hotmama,
Ack, the only book i read by NS i hated. I assure you, PS is NOTHING like NS.


Angie,
You got T&A for $5? Wow that's cheap. :D I really like T&A. Although it can't actually replace TBH, i do think it is better than the first installment (also because of the ending lol). The thing about these books, for me TBH and T&A are just one book since it is only one story. You can't have one without the other. :D

3/21/2006 11:39:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot, which NS book did you read and hate? Just curious...

3/21/2006 11:50:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay Harlot...if I find a cheap used paperback of The Summer Garden (the final in this trilogy) from Trade Me (NZ version of Ebay)...do you want me to send it to you? (Just hope I have better like sending it than I did to our lovely Shosh in Texas...grr).

Tart

3/21/2006 11:58:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl,

Kiki here! Been awhile hasn't it? haha. I love that you've FINALLY written a piece on TBH! Wonderful, wonderful book. T&A as well.

It has also come to my attention that someone is trying to talk you out of reading TSG! How DARE she! LOL Anyway, I hope you still read it. There are a couple rough spots but over all it's fantastic.

Take care hun.

3/21/2006 11:58:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erhmm, that should be better "luck" not "like"...sorry, brain hurts.

3/21/2006 11:58:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Vixen,
I read that one with the poor heroine with poor poor kid who cant undersntand/talk much and they got rescued by dashing perfect fireman hero after car accident. Boring, with stupid dialogues. Honestly, one of the most overrated books i've ever encountered. Yuck.



Tart!
Where have you been??? We missed you! Did you get tied on the bed again for days by BF? :P Anyway don't send TSG! I think i have problem with my post office. It's either they are stealing my stuff or they are way too late, like three months late. I already missed two packages. :S Thanks for the offer though! Smooch



Kiki!
How are you? I heard you're leaving your job. You should leave horrible employers, they don't deserve you.

LOL Don't worry i will still read TSG. It's still Shura and Tatia's story. ;)

3/22/2006 12:06:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, Harlot!
I believe that was The Rescue? Not sure but that sounds right.
It's funny, I used to love NS (Still really love Notebook and The Wedding - it's sequel) but that was my pre-romance stage so I was clueless as to what I was missing. Now his books just don't work for me anymore. He's got nothing on some of my fav. romance authors!

3/22/2006 12:12:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot,

So happy you're still going to read it :D I hope you won't be disappointed!!!

Yes I'm quitting. Eventually. Thanks for saying they don't deserve me. I like hearing stuff like that. lol Anywho, sometime when you're available (which is NEVER) we should chat again. Miss yah girl!!

3/22/2006 12:17:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was able to get copies of all these on Trade Me (New Zealand version of ebay) for about $4 or $5 NZ $ each (About $3 U.S.) plus postage.
I also live in a large city in N.Z. (Auckland) and they have huge book fairs every three months or so and I pick up copies of all your favourites for about $2 N.Z. ($1.50 US)
Then I on-sell them to the rest of the country via our Trade Me (ebay)
after I've read them and it finances my next book purchases.

3/22/2006 04:31:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

Hey Harlot,

I am so glad you are pimping for these books...absolutely fantastic reads!

I read started TBH one night after work, probably about 8pm, finished it at 6am the next morning, after calling in sick to work I went to the bookstore got TBTHC and then read that all night. Unfortunately I couldn't call in sick again so I went to work after not having slept at all. Talk about a zombie!!! Such amazing books.

I have read TSG, and whilst I read it, it did, as someone else said, have a few bumpy patches, but it was a fitting conclusion to a great trilogy! (There's a review somewhere on my blog!) Love them!!

Harlot, if you can't get hold of TSG let me know and I'll send it to you.

3/22/2006 05:55:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Marg, thanks for the offer. :D really appreaciate it. But since i have missed two packages already from post office, i think it's better not to send anyhing till i know what happened to those missing ones.



Anon,
Is that a proposition? LOL Err, anyway, like anything else, i believe preferences for sizes vary for all. :P But since i was using that phrase in relation to books, "small" means a disappointing/bad book. ;)

3/23/2006 02:23:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SPOLERS:

Harlot, I am truly loving this book. Just to part where Alexander see's Dimitri and he doesn't tell him about seeing Tatiana or Dasha's death. Evil Dimitri, I hate him.
I wish I had more time to read, I know I could sit for hours but my children seem to think I shouldn't spend my day with face in a book. Someday they'll get it.
Anyway, this book is breaking my heart though. It seems about every couple of pages I want to break down and cry but I just keep reading it.
Here is what I love about...
In the beginning Tatiana seems so weak, immature and clueless. But she grows so much and it turns out she is the strongest, smartest and bravest of them all (except Alexander who I believe is the reason she has changed). Its refreshing b/c I didn't really like her in the beginning at all.
I just wanted to share that while I was thinking about it.
Am off to read more!

3/26/2006 03:55:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Harlot!This is rebelheart from PS forum,hope you remember me!
I loved this post of yours,and I can only quote and re-quote and underline every single word of it!
I keep reading other books all the time,but Tania and Shura,are just stuck in my heart!^__^

3/26/2006 05:13:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Vixen,
I'm really glad you're beginning to love the book. I hate Dimitri, that evil, ugly bastard!

I know what you mean about crying for TBH. LOL Wait till you get to the last 1/3 of the book. There were parts in there that will just squish your heart and it'll feel like you couldn't breathe.

I have to say i didn't liek Tatiana in the beginning. She's too childish and just clueless. I used to think that she doesn't deserve Alexander. :P But then, without her, there's no question about it, he wouldn't make it. And the same goes to her about him. Theirs is a powerful love one can only hope to have (although i would wish for lesser sacrifices LOL).

3/26/2006 11:07:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hi Rebelheart!
Hope things are fine with you. :) Glad you decided to drop by!

Oh, thanks for liking my post. :D It's my pleasure to share TBH/T&A to others who haven't heard of them yet. Paullina is an amazing author and her books are a treasure to find. :)

3/26/2006 11:14:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure that many people,reading your post,have decided to give it a try!
I enjoy this blog,it's really funny and interesting!And may I say...some male pics here are..well...let's censor myself!^^

3/27/2006 05:54:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey....ive read all of the tania/shura series....im gunna re-read them, but was wondering if anyone could tell me in detail why tania calls alexander 'Shura' and what the nickname actually means....prob sounds dumb but i cant remember why??? lol...thanx to anyone you replies...(littleangel_ns@hotmail.com)

4/01/2006 02:16:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hi Anon, welcome!

I asked a Russian friend (Ent :P) of mine about this too. LOL She said that Shura is the Russian nick for Alexander (like Tatiana is Tania, Tatiasha, Tatiashka). Shura is also short for Sasha (Alexander in Russia).

Someone also mentioned that he knows a Russian guy from school named Sasa (pronounced as Sasha), but he gets called Alex. Hope that helps. :D

4/01/2006 05:58:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Okay, for those who are wondering about "Shura":

There are different Russian nicknames depending on how close you are to a person. Let's take the example of Alexander:

A stranger would call him ALEXANDER. A friend of his would call him SASHA. A very close person, such as a lover, would call him SHURA.

Shura doesn't exactly mean darling, but it's close since only a very close person could call him that way.

(Thanks to Swtblueeyes! :D)

4/01/2006 06:02:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Harlot,

I've read many of your posts on JM's board and love them. Because of your strong recommmendation, I ordered the TBH from Amazon and the shipment fees cost me over half of the book price. I have all the trilogy now. For the past one and half weeks, I don't want to do anything except reading. When I go to bed, I think about Tania and Shura; when I'm at work, I lurk on PS's board. One day, I closed my office door and pretended that I was on a conference call, but actually was reading the end of TBH and weeping. I've never had the courage to write to anyone online before but I feel grateful for your letting me know PS's work. Thanks.

Jasmine

4/04/2006 02:37:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Aw Jasmine.. *sniff* it's truly my pleasure, honey. And i'm really glad you too loved Tania and Shura's story. I wasn't kidding when i said these two would probably haunt me forever. Oh well, such a little thing to pay for knowing their story.

Have you heard of our planned TBH discussion this coming last week of April? We would love it if you'll be able to join us. :)

Btw, that closing the office door and pretending there's a conference call was genius. LOL Hmm.. should try that in the future. And not only for reading purposes ;)

4/04/2006 03:05:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot,

I would be on vacation that week and the week after. It might be difficult to find the access to internet. But Tania found Shura in the concentration camp, right? So I'll definitely try.

Jasmine

4/05/2006 01:45:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Jasmine,

Ooh vacation! I hope it's in a paradise somewhere with your studly BF--or if you're still looking, an island full of yummy gorgeous men. *sigh*

Don't worry about internet access by then, i probably wouldn't LOL. I'll be busy looking for a hot, sexy guy to kiss. :P Now if you did that, tell us about it, okay? ;) LOL Have a safe trip!

4/05/2006 03:15:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, tis Charlotte here! LOVE the review, sums it up perfectly! :D

12/11/2006 02:20:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this comment is horrendously late but I cant bring myself to care.
I read all three books this year and I cant even begin to describe how much I loved them. Tatiana and Alexander were the greatest! I cried sooo hard when I finished the third one... I never wanted it to end... *sigh*

12/21/2006 04:45:00 AM