Saturday, April 1, 2006

iPod Video: the new French Poodle

My very wonderful and adorable boyfriend got me an iPod Video for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. This is my first iPod/MP3 player. Actually, this is the first music gadget I’ve owned since I got a Discman for Christmas in eight grade LOL. So you will understand my confusion when I received an email from Amazon, requesting that I buy iPod accessories to “stand out from the crowd” followed by this picture...



Huh? Is this a fucking joke? Am I really expected to go out with my iPod dressed-up as freaking Gumbi? It never even occurred to me that I’d need to get “outfits” for this thing. I feel as if I’ve acquired one of those ridiculous dogs that wear diamond necklaces and dress to match their owners. What have I gotten myself into!?!



I decided to do a little research, find out what I should get (in case I actually did need something), and let me tell you, the amount of accessories for iPods are overwhelming. Just in Amazon there are over 1,720 options!!!

This is crazy! I need some help, people. Guide me the right way, or I’ll have to furnish up a room in my apartment just to keep my iPod to the nines LOL.

At this point, this is what I’m leaning towards:

MicroShield protects the body and screen of your iPod while providing unobstructed access to the Dock Connector and headphone jack. It also includes an optional play-through Click Wheel protector. This crystal clear, two-piece shield snaps securely onto the front and back of your iPod and comes with two rear panels: one with an integrated, low-profile belt clip, and one without.

Share your iPod MP3 collection with the world using the Griffin iTrip FM Transmitter that lets you play your dockable iPod through any FM radio. The transmitter tunes to any FM frequency for the best possible performance and the battery-free design receives power directly from your iPod. Great for listening to your iPod in the car.

A travel kit that comes complete with a power charger, car adapter and the USB Charge/Sync cable. Perfect for users on the go. Compact design allows for ease of travel.

I also have a question about downloading audiobooks. Do we actually have to pay all that money to download a book? *shock* I think the prices are quite high, and was wondering if some of you knew about alternative options. *wink*

Thanks in advance for your help, guys. :D You rock!

Labels: ,


9 comment(s):

Blogger Marg said...

You are SOOO ahead of me!! I only just got my first CD walkman 6 months ago!!

Gonna be forever before I get any kind of MP3 player!

4/01/2006 05:53:00 AM  

Blogger Satan_My_Lord said...

the only thing you need for you iPod is fine music...have a look at my blog and you 'll find nice music suggestions, obviously without charge...enjoy!!

4/01/2006 06:16:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Uh, aren't you the same girl who was complaining weeks ago: "What am i gonna do with an iPod Video?!?" LOL

Your wonderful BF is right. LOL You'll love it babe. :D Now when you get those audiobooks, you better send me copies!

4/01/2006 12:36:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so lucky Trollop. I just have an IPod Shuffle which is the most basic I pod you can get. I love it because it's easy to carry around but would love one with more excitment! I'm with HM's DH, it's great that you can download your own cd's for free. I-Tunes also makes it pretty easy to download music too. I have no accessories for mine but the mircor shield (if you found a cool one) and thhe iTrip look cool. There are my two cents.
Let us know what you pick.

4/01/2006 02:13:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an iPod that's about 2 years old - used it constantly until I switched to a smartphone (Treo 650) that plays MP3s as well as getting my email remotely. Now instead of carrying my iPod, a PDA and a cell phone, it's all in one (and I can carry a smaller purse). :-)

You definitely need some sort of case to protect it. I have just a plan ol' "skin" that keeps it from getting scratched and absorbes bumps from minor falls.

The iTrip looks like a good idea, but the one that I had (not exactly the same one, but was supposed to do the same thing) didn't work. The music came thru very static-y and you couldn't turn it up very loud or the background fuzz would get real bad. I'd test it out, but be prepared to buy a wired FM modulator instead of wireless.

The one very annoying thing about MP3s, IMO, is that there is now so much security attached to them, that you have to be careful where you buy downloads from. I tried to buy a new song I liked, went to 2 different major sites, and I couldn't get either one to play on my MP3 player. Luckily is was just $2 bucks I blew, not an entire album or audio book. I eventually went to a questionably illegal site to get the download, but at least it worked. No wonder file sharing is so rampant.

Have funning playing with it!

4/01/2006 03:28:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

VT!!!! BF is too good to you. I think at this point, it is safe to say he doesn't treat you the way Alexander treats Tatia ;)

Have fun with your poodle, darling *grins*

4/01/2006 09:59:00 PM  

Blogger moonlissa said...

Love my iPod!! I'm on my second one. Just watch out...that iTrip won't work with the video iPod. They make a newer version that plugs into the dock connector on the bottom. There can be a little static with the fm transmitters, but if you don't have a tape player in your car they are they most cost effecient. I eventually (3 years in) got a new stereo in my car with a front input. Money well spent!!

4/02/2006 07:28:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marg, don't feel so bad. I have yet to even get a decent CD walkman. (In fact, I don't even think I have a CD walkman LOL).

I am so not into technology - I'd rather spend the $$ on clothes, shoes and bags LOL. (Considering the cost of an iPOD in NZ is more than a pair of funky Italian leather boots, I'm so going for the boots). :D

4/02/2006 10:33:00 PM  

Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Okay, I LOVVEE my ipod and I'm jealous of your video. The dh and I had an iTrip and it worked great, until it fell in the car from the seat to the floorboard. Not a long fall, and onto a carpeted surface - it never worked again, and the engineer husband took it apart and thought it was pretty flimsy construction, and failed the Monroe drop test, that's for sure.

Then we bought an Airplay, which we both loved. No problems there, but the dh upgraded to a ipod video and the Airplay didn't fit into the slot. Now he's using the PodFreq and says it's the best one he's had.

Was that WAY more information?

4/06/2006 12:43:00 AM