Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Summer reading

Today is the official start of summer (except in Harlotland where she claims summer started in March!!! :/) and please, let me tell you that I HATE SUMMER!

I hate the abnormal amount of sweating that comes with it and the bouncy annoying kids that are everywhere, now that school is out. I hate the sun, and the beach before dark. There’s really nothing I can think of that I like about this season—except, perhaps, the great books that are published around this time of year; this is the only silver lining in the middle of the unbearable heat I’m living in!

There is a long list of books that I’m dying to get my greedy little hands on, and they’re all coming out soon. :) These are the books on my To Buy List:
Though, in all truth I should not be buying anymore books as my TBR will topple over if I add one more novel to it LOL, I just keep buying and buying books and then forgetting to read them. Even those I thought I would die if I didn’t get right away, are collecting dust in my bookshelves. I think I need an intervention!

There is also quite a list of audiobooks** I want to get through this summer—especially now that I’m back at the gym, I need my iPod to keep me company and not let me get bored to tears. These are the ones I want to get through in the next couple of months:
I’ve also put together a list of articles about other’s summer reading lists. There are some really interesting choices you might want to look into:
What about you? What are you reading this summer?

**All except The Undomestic Goddess are rereads.

Labels:


23 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently I need an intervention too b/c I cannot stop buying books, despite DH saying I am on a "Spending Freeze". I just got Something Blue. Once I finish Something Borrowed I had to get the next book.

My list is pretty similiar to yours, Trollop, I can't wait to read Jane Green's new one. I also want to pick up Marian Keyes new book. There are just too many to list.

Now, the GYM! Did you go today (it's your start day, right?). How did it go?

6/21/2006 01:45:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Petra, I forgot about LV's Patience. How could I forget that one?

And what's this? A new NR? I'll have to look into Angels Fall I didn't even know she had a knew one coming out. Tks for heads up on that one.

6/21/2006 02:02:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

"Twelve Sharp" is on top of my list. Also, "The Kept Woman" by Susan Donovan, "On the Way to the Wedding" by Julia Quinn, "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen, "Suite Francaise" by Irene Nemirovsky. Um, who else? I'll come back later for more. LOL

Trollop, good luck with gym! :D

6/21/2006 02:17:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Trollop, I love summer! I love going to the beach and of course, all the parties. :P

Ok here's my list:
Twelve Sharp by J Evanovich
Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas - I LOVE LK!!!
On the Way to the Wedding by Julia Quinn
Only a Duke Will Do by Sabrina Jeffries
Dakr Side of the Moon by Sherrilyn Kenyon

6/21/2006 02:29:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Ladies, "PATIENCE" is not coming out this August. Here's what's on Lisa Valdez's site:

Dear Friends and Fans,

I regret to inform you that PATIENCE will not be released in August. This is no fault of Berkley's—the responsibility is completely mine. I ran so late with this book, that it became impossible to meet the production schedule. As a reader, I know how frustrating it can be to have to wait for a book, and I hope you will all bear with me. But ultimately, I would rather offer you a strong book, than a rushed book.

The good news is that Berkley has found room in their schedule for November or December. So PATIENCE will be on shelves this year. Thank you all for your support and patience. All I can say is that this book has definitely lived up to its name!

Nov or Dec? Too long. :(

6/21/2006 03:10:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I'm rereading as well. Devil Wears Prada before I go see the movie. Who else is going to see it? Very interesting as Meryl Streep plays Miranda Priestly.

Trollop, summer is also great for movies. Superman Returns is coming out soon, and also Pirates of the Caribbean 2! Woohoo!

6/21/2006 04:38:00 PM  

Blogger T-girl said...

OMG! I swear we have the same unread TBR pile. I have half those books in mine also! How funny! I also and anticpating many of your "I wants!" I have been hunting high and low for the JQ book hoping some poor schmuck put it out early here. LMAO Can't wait to read it, I am reading Angels and Demon right now... when I have time. Not bad, I am enjoying it quiet a bit, le tme know when you read it, I am dying to talk to someone about it but no one I know likes that deep a read. LMAO

6/21/2006 04:52:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

I'm waiting for Linda Howard's Cover of the Night. Also LKH Danse Macabre.

AS for the movies, I'm definitely watching Devil Wears Prada. How bad could it be? Like Jordis said, Meryl Streep is there.

Trollop, hope you have fun at the gym. :) Good book list!

6/21/2006 05:46:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Oh I have a lot in my list too. LOL

Lisa Kleypas - Scandal in Spring
Tara Jenzen - Crazy Love
Candice Hern - Just One of Those Flings
Celeste Bradley - Seducing the Spy

I also got two new Liz Carlyle books, A Woman Scorned and One Little Sin. Susan Elizabeth Phillip's Match Me, also Angels and Demons by DB.

6/21/2006 09:06:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I have Angels and Demons audiobook. I think I'll try the Harry Potter series next. As for the new releases, all I want is Twelve Sharp.

I try not to buy books all at once because I can't read them all. LOL. I stack them up and usually dispose of them before actually reading a page. Yeah, I know, terrible.

6/21/2006 09:28:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I too am waiting for Pirates!!! *sigh* Captain Jack. :P Probably the most awaited movie for me this year. I think the only other time i've been this excited for a movie was during 2002-2003, while waiting for the other two LOTR movies. :P

6/21/2006 09:58:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read either AaD or TDVC by DB. I am open to many literary genres, but these books don't seem to interest me in the least.

I am probably one of the only people that does get through her TBR, in fact, half the time I'm worried about the few books I have left and how I have to stock up. What I do is, for every book I add to my TBR I have to read one w/o buying a new one. This works pretty well, at least it has after my TBR reached obscene proportions and my hubby wanted to kill me as there was no place in our bedroom that was not full of paperbacks :-)

I wont be buying anything soon, since I just over-indulged in the Harry Potter complete audio set that Trollop is listening to and keeps recommending, so there went my whole book allowence for the summer! LOL Still, will love to hear whateverone else thinks of the books they get. :-)

6/21/2006 10:04:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading Emma Donoghue's Life Mask. For those who liked Slammerkin, you should read this one too. Very interesting.

6/21/2006 10:21:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Darling? Do you WANT to know little kids? Cuz I can help you there. LOLLOL

Hugs,
Dakota :)

6/21/2006 10:48:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

I'm waiting for Twelve Sharp and Lisa Kleypas' Scandal in Spring. I love her Wallflower series.

Right now I'm reading Eleven on Top and Ranger is looking pretty delicious. LOL. Based from yesterday's interview, I father we're also getting more of Ranger in the next book.

Hi Dakota! :D

6/21/2006 10:56:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Hey, gorgeous!

DC :)

6/21/2006 11:24:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I'm reading The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue. I prefer Angels & Demons than the widely discussed Da Vinci Code.

6/22/2006 08:49:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG a friend let me borrow her copy of JR Ward's Dark Lover. WOW! Now that was a hot read. Ran out and bought her second book today, Lover Eternal. From the few pages I read so far, it looks like I've found a new auto buy author. Linda Howard, step aside, you bore me. Hello JR!

6/23/2006 12:01:00 AM  

Blogger Summer said...

Do you all use fetchbook.info? I've snagged some great deals this way. I'm off the fun books right now as I'm reading about buying a horse. Now, if I could just convince my husband to ride it in some armor, it would be all good... he!he!

6/23/2006 04:01:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

HM,
I have like two Cherry Adair books on my TBR pile but always pass them when i pick something to read.. :/ I don't know why LOL.


Tazza,
I've never read JR Ward but lately, everyone seems to be reading her. She's good then? Does she writes like LH?


Summer,
Never heard of Fetchbook.info so i checked it out. And wow, very helpful! Thanks :D

You're buying a horse??? Oh do tell. :D Um, maybe your darling hubby just needs some convincing LOL. You know like they say, even the most hardened knight, when it comes to his lovely lady, he ALWAYS yields. ;)

6/23/2006 11:53:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot, it's hard to explain her writing. I hate vampire romances, and she writes vampire romances... but she does it in a way that it seems so normal. Her heroes are larger than life and OMG the steamy sex scenes (fanning myself). I recommend you try Dark Lover. If you like that one, you'll be hooked. Check out her website and read her interview with the Brothers to get a feel for the books when you have time. She's the only author I know who interacts so much with her fan base. She plans on writing a series of books based on the Black Dagger Brotherhood ( she drops plenty of hints on her forum).

http://www.jrward.com/
http://www.jrward.com/forum/index.php

6/23/2006 12:49:00 PM  

Blogger Summer said...

Fetchbook is wonderful! One of the best resources I have ever found. I usually get all of my romance goodies for 75 cents if I wait long enough. Actually, try half.com before Amazon, too. I'm all about finding the most thrifty ways to get my drugs er, books!

Yes, going to get a horse soon. My first one. Will keep you posted if I can actually get him on the thing.

6/23/2006 02:52:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hotmama, read Dark Lover..the first in the series. There is a good synopsis on JR Ward's website so you can get a feel for her books.

6/25/2006 10:02:00 PM