Monday, June 12, 2006

Dakota Cassidy part deux

Dakota, I was reading your new book Whose Bride is She Anyway? and honestly, was quite surprised not to see some weird stuff going on, that I’ve actually done those scenes. Er, I mean, I’ve always thought this genre is compose of stories with, say, 16-inch dildos like the ones Trollop has, orgies galore, animals (ack!), etc. Of course that’s me as the dumdum erotica-virgin talking, nothing to base that conclusion on. But in your book, the hero and heroine are the only ones doing it LOL—which is good for me because that’s what I prefer. Has that been a problem with you? I mean, do you feel that, for erotica writers, the characters need to be involved with kinkier stuff, or more than one person when he/she is on a sexual adventure/awakening?


OMG—ROFLMAO—No, I’m not much of a toy writer, but like I said, when I write, I’m thinking about amusing you. I’m not so much into how many people I can put in bed together as I am about making you like the characters I’m writing. But any good erotic author’s aim, even if they have an orgy in a book has that same goal. The sex is the offspring of any budding relationship and it’s natural that it will happen. I just use a naughty word or two when I write it :) Erotic romances don’t always have anything to do with men who are so well endowed they can’t walk properly, nor do they always involve kink or a quad, if you know what I mean. If they do, they are usually aliens or sci-fi based.

It only means there’s something for everyone. I write primarily H/H, some silly stuff, a conflict and eventually, love. I’ve done some light BDSM and finally did one ménage, but I had trouble keeping track of my toothpick people when they were in a clinch. The math for all those arms and legs was hard. So I don’t know if I’ll do another. LOL

My focus is more on the funny situation, the “what if.” Like in
Whose Bride is She Anyway? where I wondered if you could pay back the bitch who taunted you in HS on a global scale, would ya have the guts to do it? Or in my werewolf series where I kinda got to thinking that werewolves look like dogs and “what if” that werewolf was caught by the dog catchers and put in the ASPCA, then adopted by a hairdresser in Hoboken who turns out to be his lifemate :) Oh, and NO, NO and triple NO. They don’t have sex when he’s in his werewolf form. Any erotic author will tell you that’s bestiality and strictly forbidden at any e-pub I’ve written for.

And yeah, sometimes I’m all in a panic, asking my Changeling editor if I’ve made it hot enough to keep up. Like I said, the funny stuff is a blessing and a curse, but it’s what my heart knows how to write. It’s who I am when you meet me in person too.


I think you won’t be Dakota if you’re not funny. *smile* Tell us about your next book. What are you currently working on?


Right now I’m working on The Accidental Werewolf for my agent. It’s about a woman who sells cosmetics for a living. Sorta like Mary Kay. Think pink and color charts and moisturizer—only I call it Bobbie-Sue Cosmetics. My heroine, Marty is accidentally bitten by a werewolf when her teacup poodle Muffin attacks him. Thus, this means she’s a werewolf too and well, it takes a little adjusting on her part. LOLLOL


Is there a secret to writing a successful erotic love scene? And, *ahem* what does your *R* thinks of your books and its sex scenes? Do you consult with him sometimes how he might react to a certain scene you are writing—you know, for research? :P


The secret is to love what you do. Use your imagination and your heart when you write it. It doesn’t have to be over the top to be crazy hot :)

R is a HUGE help in my writing career. He’s come up with a bunch of my titles and he helps me plot all the time. He has no qualms telling anyone who’ll listen what I do for a living and he’s definitely a good helper when it comes to working out those sex scenes. LOL He is simply the best thing to have ever happened to me and if you ask my editor, she says the sex in my books got hotter after he and I began dating. I take the fifth. LOLLOL


So, your fans should really be thanking R then? Hmm, wonder what he’ll say if we ask him... I hope not the fifth too! LOL Now for the silly questions. *g* If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?


Well, I KNOW love is blind cuz R thinks I look good in a thong. LOLLOL. I’m kidding :)


Yes, just a thong and nothing at all. *wink* Feathers, whips, or cream? Or *gasp* chains?


You forgot duct tape—how on earth could you forget duct tape? LOL


Oh, no! I know I forgot something—oh, the shame!!!

Alright, *sniff* complete this sentence: Passionate, spontaneous sex on the kitchen floor is..?



Impossible in my house because I have two children a mother, four little puppies and two cats? LOLLOLLOLLOL


I’m sure you two have a lot of other ways. *g*

Dakota, babe, thank you very much for being here. Trollop and I really appreciate you answering all our questions, including the silly ones LOL. Any question you would like to ask your fans and The Book Bitches readers?



First, let me say that I’m honored to be your first e-author interviewed. AM I right about that? I was scared half out of my mind, thinking you’d eat me alive, but you’re both pussy cats. I swear, no one will ever hear me say that in mixed company. I know you have reputations to uphold. LOL Really, your questions were fun and new and I enjoyed every one of them. Well, except maybe the whips one. For virgin erotic reading chicks, you guys are kink-meisters, eh? LMAO

As to questions for you—well, I kinda wanna know what brought the Book Bitches into being and I wanna know what made you both decide to give e-books a try and if you plan to continue trying them? Don’t let my scary book frighten you. I swear there are loads of awesome e-authors that are NOTHING like me. LOL

As for my fans? Well, I only have like 20 and I think they all had lunch planned together today. So, they can’t make it. I’m so neglected. LOLLOL But I do want them to know that the support they show me, not just by buying my books, but the constant interaction and appreciation makes me a very grateful author. I adore each of them for their individuality and well, their vast sense of humor.

Thank you for having me!

Hugs to all,
Dakota Cassidy :)


Related:

Labels:


40 comment(s):

Blogger Maura Anderson said...

Dakota's werewolves are a HOOT!

And *R* is very good for her, even when sometimes she fights it a little.

She has far more than 20 fans, too! I think I made it in while it was barely shy of triple digits :)

Great interviews and I love the site! Though I have had to watch my boss walking in while I'm reading some of the posts!

6/12/2006 06:17:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

I'm in the triple digits? OMG--when did that happen? LOLLOL

Thanks, M--you're a peach!

6/12/2006 06:38:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Dakota, LOL, you're not suppose to be interviewing us! :P

Um, about your question (Trollop and i should really do that "About the Bitches" section. :/ Unfortunately, we're both lazy LOL) -

Once upon a time, in a far away land called Italy, two very beautiful women *wink* were having some delicious cheesecake in a posh cafe with the sexy Raoul. The redhead, Trollop, started complaining about a crappy book she was reading. Apparently, the exotic one, Harlot (the prettier one, uh-huh *nods* LOL) was also reading a crappy book at the time. So they had this idea that they should start a blog about, what else, books. :D Tell it as it is place for booklovers. Well, not just books. Everything they love/hate, anything they want to talk about. Including men, of course. :P (We are quite famous for providing eye-candy, you see LOL)

It started just for fun. I mean it still is, but we didn't expect many people to love what we write. *sniff* Really, we thank everyone who always visits, comments, shares their thoughts.. It's very humbling. And maybe no one will love this little home of ours as much as Trollop and i do, but everytime someone says he/she appreciates an article, it's worth all the hardship we've done to make this blog as it is now. :)

Now about ebooks, Trollop and i are both from a country where books we want are not that easy to acquire. So we resorted to ebooks. But to our unending regret, we didn't try erotica then. Just starting now. Really, i don't think ebooks will be out of our lives LOL (unless they invented something better). And you're right when you said that ebooks are very handy. It's easy, and even the old titles/out of prints you can't get from bookstores are usually available in ebook format. :)

6/12/2006 06:56:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dakota, it's nice to meet you. Love your answers. :D There is NO WAY you only have 20 fans. :)

Dakota, what are your favorite romance novels that will always be on your keeper's shelf? Top 5 maybe? Or even 10? Thanks!

6/12/2006 07:06:00 PM  

Blogger Maura Anderson said...

ooh - a peach, huh? That means round and fuzzy, right? LOL

Kristin - she lies. There's no way she has only 20 fans. Dakota tends to be the anti-diva sometimes -- unless it comes to tiaras, rhinestones and shiny things.

6/12/2006 07:17:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

ahhh, Harlot, you guys are from Italy? That's on my list of life things to do--go to Venice and ride a gondola, eat pasta and herd some sheep. LOL

How exciting that you live there and I hope you give more erotic e-books a shot in the future. I think you'll like them :)

Hmmm, Kristin--thinking...I'd have to say a Judith McNaught book is on my lkeeper shelf. Can't remember the title, but I've always loved her stuff. Also Sandra Hill's Vikings--they make me ROLL. And I love Jude Deveraux too.

Though, honestly, I don't have a keeper shelf. LOL. When I'm done, I'm done, so I don't linger.

I know, can u even believe I write romance? LOL

Dakota

6/12/2006 07:20:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

You know, I AM an anti-diva, huh? I mean, I love my girlie things--nails, pedis, hair and goop on my face, but I HATE PROMO 'ho's and promotion period. I stink at it--which explains my 20 fans. LOL

I'd much rather just hang out and chat. I'm better at that :)

DC

6/12/2006 07:22:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Dakota, great interview. R sounds such a wonderful guy. :D

I think your interview is my favorite yet LOL. Love the way you answer the questions.

I too have been trying ebooks lately. I spend a lot of time in front of my comp so why not try ebooks? Not to mention I can read when I'm at work LOL. :P

6/12/2006 07:27:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dakota, I love McNaught too! My favorite is Perfect. I've yet to try Sandra Hull though.

I've been reading ebooks for 2-3 yrs now. I've even read those with aliens. LOL. I'm definitely going to try yours before I try SH's. :) Thanks!

6/12/2006 07:32:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Dakota, we're definitely trying more erotic ebooks. Thanks to you. :D

But unfortunately, the Italy i mentioned, only represented Trollop's dream and mine. :( Though Trollop once lived in Rome, i have yet to visit Italy. *sniff* Hoprfully we'll go there soon. Doing my damnadest to remedy that you know. I too want to ride gondolas, eat pasta, and heard oh so yummy Italian men. LOL :P

6/12/2006 07:40:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Oh, Lorelei (love your name) that's SO true. I love the fact that you can sneak it in if need be when you hit a dull spot during your day. Course, writing is my day job now, so I don't have to sneak. LOL And, yeah--my honeybunny really is the BEST :)

Oh, Kristen--ya gotta give Sandra a shot. she's a HOOT I love her time traveling vikings--YUMMY. And Nina Bangs--she cracks me up too :)

Dakota :)

6/12/2006 07:41:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I mean, herd. LOL Damn, we need spell check here in comments! I have too many typos! :S

Anyone who knows how to put those here, please let us know.

6/12/2006 07:42:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

LOLLOL, Harlot--herd yummy Italian men. Can I come? ya think R would mind? LOL

DC :)

6/12/2006 07:42:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Dakota, darling, you are most welcome to join us. But i'm thinking R will drown Trollop and me while we're on the gondola. :/ LOL

6/12/2006 07:46:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

LOLLOL--well, how about I just spot the Italian sheep, er, MEN for ya? I can do that without actually HERDING :)

DC :)

6/12/2006 07:48:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Dakota, helping us spot the men are mighty welcome. Just no using of your *ahem* cane to sway the herd on your way! LOL :P

6/12/2006 07:58:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Oh, there's Dakota's polka dots thong! LOL LOL

Love the interview, ladies. :D

About e-books, I agree. I too can read at work because of them. It's such a big help especially when one is bored and one's boss is not around. LOL

6/12/2006 08:01:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Well, thanks, Petra--I'm pretty humbled by the good things that have happened to me, so I have nothing to be diva'd about. LOL

Hmmm, you know, that'd have to be Maddie in The Ex-Files-Mayhem and Maddie. She's part of a series and it was the first thing I wrote again, during my divorce. I was so stifled byt the whole process, but the publisher I primarily write for now just kept saying, "write me anything, Dakota. Just a line and I'll publish it." It was due to her encouragement that I used the end of my marriage and the the idea of moving ahead to begin writing again.

Plus, Maddie is MUCH like me. I love all of my heroines, but she's the most like me :)

DC :)

6/12/2006 08:03:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Oh thanks Dakota. You too have a lovely name. :)

I think I have a question. If you are going to be the heroine, who would you choose as your hero: a vampire, a werewolf, a warlock, or any of those guys from paranormal universe? ;)

6/12/2006 08:12:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Hmmm, that's a crap shoot for me because they each have some really cool super powers and some not so cool super powers, ya know? LOL

I'd go with werewolf. I'm one ahead of the game because I LOVE steak. LOL. Plus, no blood drinking involved :)

DC :)

6/12/2006 08:17:00 PM  

Blogger Michelle said...

Great interview, lemon twist ~smiles~. What a wonderful bunch of people there are here, I've bookmarked this site to visit again.

Michelle

6/12/2006 08:28:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Hey, chocolate chip cookie dough! Yeah, they're alright, eh? LOL

DC :)

6/12/2006 08:35:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dakota! It's me again, the porker LOL. Love the second part!

You've mentioned you wrote only one menage scene. LOL. Which of your books include that? :P

6/12/2006 08:51:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

LOL

I don't think I can take blood drinking too. But in the movies, they always portray vampires as the sexy creatures of the night. I think that's why I like them better LOL. Oh duh! Now I get it why the BBs used Underworld! LOL Yes, definitely so very you, Dakota. :D

6/12/2006 08:57:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

LOLLOL--I'm so sure you're not a porker :) Um, that's what's called a Hot Flash and I'm not sure when it'll be out.

Hot Flashes are very short stories--no more than 5 thousand words and they're sort of quick encounters of love! Mine is called Three Dog Night, cuz it's a werewolf :)

I love vamps, and I'm naturally a night owl, but I like food. LOL

DC :)

6/12/2006 09:06:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

LOVE your answers, Dakota. :)

I think I prefer werewolves too, LOL. Not sure if you know Kelley Armstrong but par Harlot's rec I read her book "Bitten" and loved it!

Btw, congrats with your R. He seems such a great guy. :)

May I know what you do before you turned to writing? That yogurt commercuial must be very special, LOL.

6/12/2006 09:49:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

LOL--R is the best--he really is what personifies a good man with a fab heart :)

I was a housewife--married for 19 years when I was divorced. So no formal profession. I'd only just begun writing then. Once I was on my feet again, it sort of exploded :)

The yogurt commercial was the Yoplait commercial where the hubby and wife are role playing. She's the French maid and he's the Lord of the manor and she's feeding him yugut and talking in a French accent and their little girl peeks in and looks at her friend and says, "My parents are SO weird" LOLLOL

DC :)

6/12/2006 09:56:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

19 years? How old were you when you got married? 12?

Dakota, you don't look like a woman who's been married that long and then got divorced. Man, does R has a single brother who might be good to me as R has to you? LOL :)

6/12/2006 10:07:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

LOLLOL--I was 18 and my sons are 16 and 12 and I'm almost 40. Hindsight says I wouldn't do it over again but for my boys :)

No, no single brothers. But I agree, he should be cloned :)

DC :)

6/12/2006 10:24:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peek-a-boo i love you!! LOL! You did a great job on the interview Dakota!!
Hugs!
Lisa R.

6/12/2006 10:43:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

aw, thanks, sweetheart! Love ya back :)

DC :)

6/12/2006 10:46:00 PM  

Blogger Erin the Innocent said...

I first read the R thinks you look good in a thong as you saying R looks good in a thong and I'm way too innocent to know that *g*

~Erin the Innocent

6/12/2006 10:56:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

I think I just snorted my Pepsi through my nose, Erin. LOLLOL

DC :)

6/12/2006 11:02:00 PM  

Blogger Jenn said...

I love this interview and now can't wait to get Whose Bride!! I love that you mix fun with erotica. As, sex should be funny. Think about it, you make the most awful expressions during, at least, you do if you're doing it right. *winks* Great interview Dakota. *whisks John away while she isn't looking*

6/12/2006 11:22:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Have u been to the Crystal meth lab today? Don't make me hafta come get John. I'm ALWAYS looking. LOL. Thanks for stopping in, babe :)

DC :)

6/12/2006 11:30:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but there will be no cloning. Oh... unless he works like, 3 days a week for me. And I get all the Dakota time!

And while I appreciate all the nice compliments about me being a great guy and all. But, Dakota did go to not one... not two... but THREE Nine Inch Nails concerts with me this year! If you ask me, I'm the lucky one here. :)

~R - The Lucky Champ

6/12/2006 11:31:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

aw, honey. I sooooo love you :)

DC :)

6/12/2006 11:33:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

And on that note--I'm going to bid everyone goodnight and MANY thanks for stopping by to chat! I hope to visit more with you all in the future on the BB!

H and T--thank YOU for the wonderful interview and the warmest of welcomes!

Hugs and kisses,
DC :)

6/12/2006 11:43:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh the famous R is here! Hullo. Anyone who makes Dakota very happy is always welcome here. Oh i love that NIN post. :) Now, about this Dakota statement: "... the sex in my books got hotter after he (*ahem* you) and i begun dating..." What say you to that? LOL :P


Dakota, thanks babe for answering all our questions and for being such a good sport! I hope you visit us often, and don't forget about what i said regarding Nutella, okay? I promise, YUM-MY. *wink* Trollop said your shiny pink whip is on the way!!!

Smooches,
Harlot

6/13/2006 06:30:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hey Aggie! :D

What do you mean? I see it fine now.. :S Were you clicking through ticker? Or archive?

Fuck Proudly


P.S. Thanks btw for letting us know about irregularities such as this. The other week, Petra emailed about certain old articles whose pics won't appear! Usually, we wouldn't have noticed if you guys didn't tell us. :)

6/13/2006 10:01:00 PM