Monday, June 5, 2006

Karen Hawkins part deux

Karen, tell us about your latest book Her Officer and Gentleman...


It’s the final book (for now) in my world’s shortest series, “Just Ask Reeves.” That’s right—it’s the world’s only two-book series!

Reeves is a butler extraordinaire who is sent by his now-deceased master, the late earl of Rochester, to go out into the world and find his two lost sons, teach them society manners, and make bring them into fashion.

The first book was
Her Master and Commander, which was about the oldest of a set of twins, who was a pirate until he sailed with Nelson in the Battle of Trafalgar. This next book, Her Officer and Gentleman, is about the second brother, Christian, who was a highwayman until Reeves convinced him to assume his newly inherited title and wealth. Christian agrees to do so and sets out to find the person responsible for his mother’s death.

Things get complicated when Christian uses sprightly Lady Elizabeth to get closer to her reclusive grandfather, his prime suspect. Christian is immediately drawn to Lady Elizabeth, which complicates things as he knows she will be deeply affected if her dear grandfather is implicated in something as horrible as the death of Christian’s mother.

Christian is thus caught between his quest for vengeance, and his growing attraction to the lovely Beth.

I loved writing this story!


Ohhhh, sounds divine—can’t wait to get my greedy little hands on Christian, *cough* I mean on the book!

Now for our horrible question LOL. Would you be willing to give up sex for one year if you knew it would give you a much deeper sense of peace than you have now?



NO.

Let me restate that, HECK NO.


I hear you, I hear you! LOL

Do writers ever get food cravings, or fall into specific food patterns, while writing a novel? And if so, are you willing to share recipes?



Writing or not, I crave anything with chocolate, any time of the day or night. This tendency might be something genetic, as my mother is the same way. However it is, I was delighted to discover that chocolate actually has great antioxidant properties. So I get to eat good food that tastes good, too! What’s not to love?

I am just learning to cook (I know, I know! My 18-year-old daughter is moving to college and she said, “NOW you’re learning to cook? Life is so unfair!”) and I have been trying a ton of recipes!

Right now, my newest recipe success was:

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
Ingredients:
4 oz. semi-sweet dark chocolate
½ cup butter
1 ¼ cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 large eggs, beaten
3 oz. semi-sweet dark chocolate, grated

Cooking instructions:
Preheat over to 325 degrees F.
Grease a shallow 8 x 12 in. baking pan and line with wax paper.
Melt first measure of chocolate in a double-broiler over simmering water.
When melted, remove from heat and add sugar, flour, baking powder, and eggs.
Mix until smooth.
Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 25 minutes or until skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and, while hot, sprinkle with grated chocolate.
Leave to cool, then cut into 20 squares with serrated knife.
EAT!


*YUMMMM* I can feel my thighs getting fatter just thinking about it. You are evil!!!

Karen, I really had fun talking to you. Though, seriously, that phone call, what was that about? Come on, give a girl some info!

Oh, alright. :P Anyway, thank you so much for your time. But before you run to *cough* make another phone call, one last question you would like to ask your fans and The Book Bitches readers.



Which secondary character from my previous books would you like to see in a follow-up book?


Related:

Labels:


21 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

So sorry this was published late. :S LOL Trollop and i were just busy, not to mention blogger and its problem..

Anyway, Karen thanks for the recipe! :D Not that i can bake. :S I love love love brownies though!

As for your question. I've already gotten the book of the secondary character i like from the Talisman series. So will just go with Herbert! :P LOL He's so funny!

6/05/2006 08:50:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Love your answers, Ms. Hawkins, I mean to say, Trampolina, LOL. And thank you for the yummy recipe. :)

If questions are still allowed, I would like to ask (I hope this is OK), as the Book Bitches have pointed out from their last Wednesday's post, what does Ms. Hawkins think of the sad occurrence that's been happening lately between authors attacking each others on bulletin boards.

6/05/2006 10:32:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also not one to trade sex for ANYTHING! LOL

Ms. Trampolina (LOL love this name!) I have to say I haven't read all of your books. But I did love "Seduction of Sara". :D I'm not sure if Marcus, the Marquis of Treymount, has any book yet. If he doesn't, then I would love to read more of him please. :D

Olly

6/05/2006 10:47:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Ohh, i love chocolate brownies! And this one looks so easy. I too am just learning how to cook, LOL. Better late than never, right. :P

Karen, love your answers! Glad you're spending time with us. :) This is such a great place to meet fellow book lovers and discuss any topic with them. Not to mention all the wonderful eye-candy Harlot provides, LOL.

That's a good question, Lorelei. I hope Karen doesn't mind...

6/05/2006 11:03:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marcus's story is in LADY IN RED. He was a ton of fun to write and his relationship with Honoria was a pure joy to create. They just SPARKED off each other. I love that!

As for the bulletin boards, I don't know what incidents you are talking about, but I am always saddened to see anyone get attacked; reader or author. It's sad when that happens and, in my opinion, it's a form of censorship.

Weak people try to intimidate those who disagree with them. The attackers would rather try to embarrass the person who has a differing opinion rather than offering logical thinking to support their own ideas.

It's paltry. It's silly. And it's childish.

I've seen posters disagree with certain comments and then, with the corniest of high drama, ACT as if the reply is a personal attack. That's soooo tacky. I cringe every time I see this.

Sometimes, readers disagree. Sometimes, authors disagree. Thank goodness for that or every book would be exactly the same.

We are adults, people. Reader boards and blogs are for discussion and heaven help us if all we do is sit around and tell each other how wonderful we are. We could all learn something from each other. We should all be mature enough that when someone disagrees with us, we take it in a kind spirit and disucss the issue with maturity.

That's my opinion, anyway! I'll climb off my soapbox now. I'd jump, but I have on these LOVELY strappy red heels and I'm afraid I'll twist my ankle.

I'm off to bed now, but I'll check back in the morning and see if you all have any last questions!

Trampolina

PS Trollop, may I have the photoshopped pics of me with Hugh? I LOVE THEM! although ... the pic with me draped over the piano? I didn't have thighs that thin when I was six.

6/06/2006 12:09:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! I'd pop cherries with Naked Chef Brian anytime.

KH: Me too - re Virgins/Historicals?

& Aggie - your getting dyslexic. (Too much Wanker Partying and Tequila at the w/end)
I think you mean 'the girls' and 'Heroines' yes?

And all the probs with Blogger are because it's 666 day! WOoooh!

6/06/2006 05:11:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

The never ending saga of the authors who belittle other authors and attack even the fans. Just sad. :S

Anyway, Karen, thank you for answering all our questions and for being such a good sport! Now i know we're kindred spirits when it comes to being in love with Nutella. I hope you'll still visit us once in a while. We would love to hear from our Trampolina whenever you have the time. You and your piano canoodling self are always welcome here in our little home. :) Of course if you drag Hugh along with you, we'll even throw you a party! We give good parties here, you know. *wink*

Hugs,
Harlot

6/06/2006 06:59:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Aggie,

LEAVE MY RAOUL OUT OF YOUR DIRTY DEEDS!!!!

With that said, i'm willing to take part in any fun parties you girls can come up with. Trollop and i will bring the tequila and Nutella. Now Karen can bring Hugh. LOL :P

6/06/2006 07:08:00 AM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

Are we going to have a party again? I want Naked Brian too and wanker please!!!

Trampolina, LOL, love your answers. About the sex part, will you give it up for one year if it could bring your favourite book character to life? And who might that be? :P

6/06/2006 07:17:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me but Naked Chef Brian is mine!!!! I am sure I saw him first! The others you all can share :)

6/06/2006 08:08:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trampolina, it was a pleasure getting to know you! Have a beautiful day!

6/06/2006 08:09:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naked parties? I was not invited to that. When is it again? :D

Karen you are too funny. I too have not have thighs that thin, EVER. :P

I also want to know about the virgin heroines. DO you think it would ruin the magic of a historical if they'd had a previous sexual partner? It bothers me the more when they are married for many the years and never have sex and then the husband dies and they find someone else and do have sex. What's with that? :s

6/06/2006 08:28:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, guys! And thank you, Trollop and Harlot, for having me here.

As for virgins in my books -- very few. Most have either 1) been married before (Confessions of a Scoundrel, The Seduction of Sara, Her Master and Commander), or 2) have been with the hero before (A Belated Bride, novella in Lady Whistledown Strikes Back) or 3) in one book, had been with another man before (And The Bride Wore Plaid). I have some, of course, but not a whole lot.

It's been awesome, guys! Just terrific. I look forward to sneaking in again when I'm off deadline. In the meantime, I've bookmarked you and I'll be reading the blog with a huge smile of my face, a smudge of nutella on my chin. :)

Hugs!
Trampolina, who is off to meet her next deadline ... Byyyyyyeeeeee!!!

6/06/2006 08:30:00 AM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

Vixen, all the men in here are fair game, except I think Raoul, LOL. Can't afford to mess up with the Harlot and Trollop. But I have no problem with you taking Chef Brian. I just want a lick. ;)

(Really, I'm more partial with the farm boys, hee-ya! LOL)

6/06/2006 08:36:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trollop, I LOVE you guys, I really LOVE you! Looking for my lover, you're so good to me! I will see what I can find out about Naked Chef Brian (yes, I'm certain he has a very sexy last name). I shall begin my stalking ASAP.

6/06/2006 08:37:00 AM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

Looking forward to seeing you again, Ms Hawkins! :D

6/06/2006 08:38:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CB, you're so sweet about NCB that you can def. have a lick :) I am after all good at sharing.

6/06/2006 08:41:00 AM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

Vixen, I'd like to say call me Carrie, LOL, but Casey will do. :D

Oh, I'll help look for Chef Brian too. Maybe he'll bring his other naked chef buddies with him!! LOL

6/06/2006 08:46:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen, it was such a pleasure talking to you. You're been great! Will definitely try that recipe. Thanks! :D

6/06/2006 09:16:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot, are we having another party this weekend? :P

6/06/2006 10:38:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Aggie, one of my romance pet peeves, virgin widows. Ack. Seriously, there better be a good explanation for that!

I know what you mean about those virgins who can't even kiss then, in a snap, can suddenly teach her own sex ed class. But, hmm, you know, i've never been anything but a Harlot so.. LOL ;)


Chaptechie, welcome! Hope you'll post often! :D


Vanessa, not sure about the party this weekend. We'll see.. :P

6/06/2006 09:49:00 PM