Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Book Bitches interview with Janet Evanovich

Mrs. Evanovich, I fell in love with your writing a couple of years ago when I was recommended by my book club to try your Stephanie Plum series. “It’s so funny you’ll pee in your pants, plus the men are HOT!” LOL, that’s all I heard over and over again—so needless to say I had to get it. I mean, hot men that make you laugh? It’s my biggest weakness—after Nutella covered hot men that is. *wink*

After I read the first three I was hooked. Stephanie is such a fun fresh character, unlike anything that I’d come across in the market. She is funny and endearingly silly like Bridget Jones, strong and hard-headed like Scarlett O’Hara, and she continually defies convention like Elizabeth Bennet. These are, of course, my favorite heroines in literature, and Stephanie embodies them all. Is this what you were looking for when you first created her, or has she taken a life of her own and sort of created herself?



“I was just trying to create a heroine who was accessible and entertaining. I wanted someone who was normal but had an eccentric job.”

Janet explains that, “If Mickey Spillane wrote Archie and Veronica, Stephanie would be Betty. I got the idea for a bounty hunter while watching Midnight Run with Grodin and DeNiro. I created the Stephanie character from my experience as a romance writer, relying heavily on the Original Heroine of the Regency—and I gave her some of my history.”


While waiting for book six, I was left with a thirst for more of your writing. I found some of your previous work, which I wasn’t acquainted with, and was surprised that they were straight forward romance novels. After writing 12 romance novels, you decided to move on to writing chick-lit/mystery. Why the change? And which genre do you now prefer?


“I actually think I write an adventure novel and it’s the genre I prefer.”

Janet says, “I wrote series romance for five years. It was a rewarding experience, but after 12 romance novels I ran out of sexual positions. By about the sixth romance I knew I wasn’t in exactly the right place. I liked writing action. And I wanted to write a book with a little more edge than I was allowed in romance (remember this was over thirteen years ago when there were a lot of rules associated with romance).”

“I really enjoy genre fiction,” she says. “I wanted to write in the first person, and this is one of the only areas in which you can do that. I think I write adventure novels, rather than mysteries, like, um, Indiana Jones—in Trenton, New Jersey.”


I’m still undecided between Ranger and Morelli. *sigh* One of them wears briefs, the other goes commando; you’d think that would have made me swing towards Ranger! LOL But somehow Morelli seems just as sexy wearing something as Ranger is wearing nothing. Which of them is your favorite? And please please please, do tell (just a secret between you and me, of course): how come Ranger owns a pair of black silk boxers if he wears NOTHING under those black pants? *wink* Are they for especial occasions, to wear perhaps with a tux or something? *g*


“We don’t know for sure that Ranger goes commando. We only know Stephanie didn’t find any underwear.”


Lula is my favorite character in the series; she makes me laugh until my sides hurt. And Grandma Mazur! She’s crazy and whacky and totally over the top—yet she seems incredibly real, like the crazy relative everyone has. And yes, *sigh* here comes the questions I’m sure you get asked ALL the time: Are they based on someone you know? Sorry, *sniff* just HAD to ask. :P


“Lula is entirely fictional. She’s actually Stephanie ramped up a couple degrees.”

“Grandma Mazur is actually my Aunt Lena with a little bit of my Grand-mother Schneider thrown in. When I was a little girl, all the ladies would have coffee and read the obituaries in the newspaper, then go to visit the recently departed. This was before there were shopping malls, and in that part of New Jersey back then, the only evening recreation available was funeral parlors. They would even visit people they didn’t know.”


Tell us a bit about Twelve Sharp?


“A woman begins stalking Stephanie and the woman tells Stephanie she’s Ranger’s wife.”

FIRST A STRANGER APPEARS
While chasing down the usual cast of miscreants and weirdos Stephanie discovers that a crazed woman is stalking her.

THEN, THE STRANGER REVEALS HER SECRETS
The woman dresses in black, carries a 9mm GLOCK, has a bad attitude and a mysterious connection to dark and dangerous Carlos Manoso... street name, Ranger.

NEXT, SOMEBODY DIES
The action turns deadly serious, and Stephanie goes from hunting skips to hunting a murderer.

SOON, THE CHASE IS ON
Ranger needs Stephanie for more reasons than he can say. And now, the two are working together to find a killer, rescue a missing child, and stop a lunatic from raising the body count. When Stephanie Plum and Ranger get too close for comfort, Vice Cop Joe Morelli (her on-again, off-again boyfriend) steps in.


Do you have any idea where Stephanie is going from here and who is going with her?


“More pizza, more sex, more grandma, more doughnuts, more fun.”


Now, for the silly questions. *g* What was the best thing before sliced bread?


“Cranberry nut muffins.”


What are the things you should never EVER do in bed?


“Smoke cigars and eat Cheez Doodles.”


*Visit Janet’s site to read some excerpts. And while you’re there, don’t forget to check out the other fun stuff the site has to offer—especially her daughter Alex’s Batster! :D
*http://www.bookthink.com/0070/70eva1.htm
*http://www.bookpage.com/0007bp/janet_evanovich.html
*http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/jan99/evanovch.htm



Related:

Labels:


29 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh thanks BBs! :D

Speaking of Twelve Sharp, I just got my copy today! HOORAH!!!

6/20/2006 01:07:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the interview!

Hi to Ms. Evanovich. :) She's probably very busy with her book tour.

6/20/2006 02:08:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Love the interview BBs. :D

So I visited Janet's site and you're right Trollop, Batster is so cute! LOL

Petra, are you getting Twelve Sharp soon? I'm pretty sure it's not yet available here. Arrrrggh!

6/20/2006 02:10:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I love Grandma Mazur! She's just fucking hilarious. LOL

So who do you girls prefer: Ranger or Morelli? :P

Also i've been hearing about adopting the series into a movie but until now, still nothing. :/ Wonder who will play these characters..

6/20/2006 03:15:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE THESE BOOKS! One of my coworkers also reads them and we have convinced quite a few in our office to read them. We haven't discussed who to play the other roles but definitely we all agree that Sophia from Golden Girls would be excellent as Grandma.

Hmmm, Ranger or Morelli? Hard choice, can't I have both like Stephanie does? I married a Morelli 22 years ago, stable as a rock but sure dated a lot of Rangers before that.

Nice blog. :)

6/20/2006 03:22:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I think Sandra Bullock is the top choice to play Stephanie. She's perfect I think. But my sister thinks Cameron Diaz or Drew Barrymore, LOL.

For Ranger, hhmmm, I'm not sure yet. But I would love to see Hugh Jackman to play Morelli. :D

6/20/2006 03:31:00 PM  

Blogger Serendipity said...

I heard Reese Witherspoon for Stephanie Plum. She'll probably be good at it since she's a really good actor...but I don't know anything else besides that.

6/20/2006 03:46:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Man, that's a tough call. I'm going with Morelli just because he's a bit stable than Ranger.

About the casting. I agree with the Sandra Bullock casting. She's perfect. For Ranger, I'm thinking Vin Diesel. Morelli, I want George Clooney but hey, that's me. ;-)

6/20/2006 03:49:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Oh yes! Serendipity, Reese W is a great choice too!

6/20/2006 03:51:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

Morelli, she at least has a chance at a future with him. There is no future with Ranger but boy he sure could make the present very worthwhile.

6/20/2006 04:02:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the interview ladies. :)

Is Janet coming by later?

Olly

6/20/2006 04:13:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, about the casting, yes I agree with Serendipity, Reese will be great. Vin Diesel too for Ranger. I'm a Morelli girl so I'm going with my one true love, Hugh Jackman. LOL

6/20/2006 04:15:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Olly, no. :( As Trollop mentioned yesterday, Janet was kind enough to answer our questions and we're grateful really, we know how busy she must be. Also Alex, Janet's daughter, emailed us and said that the book tour has begun and unfortunately, they just don't have enough time.

But we're sending all comments to her so if you have anything to say to Janet or Alex, just post. We'll be glad to send them. :)

6/20/2006 04:33:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

I have recommended these books to so many people!!! Twelve Sharp doesnt come out here for another week or so but I can't wait to get hold of it!

And I am a Morelli cupcake!

6/20/2006 04:48:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I'm a Ranger babe!!!

They say that The Rock will play him in the movies, euw! I want Vin Diesel!

6/20/2006 05:07:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I'm a Ranger babe!

About the cast, I think I prefer Sandra bullock over Reese. But please, no Cameron Diaz!

Also I think Queen Latifah would be perfect to play Lula.

Love the interview. Thanks BBs! :)

6/20/2006 05:59:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Oh yeah, I think I want to see Shirley McLaine as Grandma Mazur.

6/20/2006 06:00:00 PM  

Blogger Bartolina said...

Great blog.
Greets from Chile,
Bartolina

6/20/2006 06:25:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Antonio Banderas would be a fab Ranger. And yes, I'm a Ranger babe. :D

As for Morelli, I'll have to think about it. But yes Jolie, please, not Cameron Diaz as Stephanie!

6/20/2006 06:33:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

I'm a Ranger gal. Very sexy. LOL

I think Vin Diesel is fine to play Ranger. But, I don't know. I hate it when books I love are adopted into movies. They usually end up disappointing me.

Love the interview, ladies. :)

6/20/2006 07:02:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I agree with Kat. Antonio Banderas for Ranger. However, I am a Morelli cupcake. I'm still not sure who should play him.

Why don't you girls like Cameron Diaz? LOL. But yeah, I would love to see Sandra play Stephanie. :)

6/20/2006 07:38:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Morelli!

I also want Queen Latifah to play Lula, with Sandra Bullock as Stephanie. I think that would be a good movie. The men though are hard to pick. I have to think about this.

6/20/2006 07:49:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Queen Latifah would be perfect to be Lula! For Grandma Mazur, Sophia from the Golden Girls is good, but Shirley MacLaine has more spunk. Did you gals see her in that awful movie with Jennifer Aniston? Yes, definitely MacLaine.

6/20/2006 08:41:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I love Ranger :D

How about Benjamin Bratt for Ranger? He and Sandra worked before in Miss Congeniality. I think Ben could be a very sexy Ranger.

Jordis, I love Shirley MacLaine LOL. She'll be great! How old is she now? Same as Grandma Mazur? 70s? Anyway, I like Queen Latifah too. Now I'm excited for the movie LOL. Wonder when it's actually coming out.

6/20/2006 08:53:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

How could anyone not love Stephanie Plum? This series is one of my favorites together with Harry Potter, LOTR and Anne of Green Gables.

And I am a Morelli cupcake.

6/20/2006 10:26:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I'm also going with Sandra Bullock to play Stephanie. Vin Diesel for Ranger, Hugh Jackman for Morelli.

I've never thought of Shirley McLaine but now that I think about it, she is an excellent choice to be Grandma Mazur. Also Queen Latifah for Lula. Perfect casting is important.

6/20/2006 10:30:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Petra, I'm with you on this one. As much as I love Stephanie and the gang, the series has to end sooner or later. Aren't you curious how Janet will do it? I mean, who will Stephanie end up with? Is she actually going to settle? Very interesting. :)

6/21/2006 02:45:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous interview! Morelli rocks!

6/21/2006 04:47:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stoolie, stoolie, you spend way too much time worrying about Stephanie's love life. The logical way to go after the last book is with Ranger.

6/26/2006 02:41:00 PM