Monday, May 22, 2006

The Book Bitches interview with Julia London

Welcome Julia! Or is it more appropriate to welcome someone from Austin, Texas with a “howdy!”? Er, in any case, I want to say it’s a big pleasure that you’re letting us interview you, especially since the girl doing it goes by the name of Harlot. *g*


We answer to just about anything here. And we love a good harlot for the most part.


Gosh, *blush* why thank you. (You hear that, Trollop?!) I am a good harlot. *big grin* Anyway, I started reading your books with The Beautiful Stranger and fell in love with Arthur and Kerry’s story. I didn’t know it was part of a series, and when I found out there were two more books, I immediately went and got the rest. Oh, I do love those sexy “Rogues of Regent Street.” *sigh* Could I please borrow one of them? Even for just a day? Pretty please... I promise to treat them, er, very nicely. :P


Yep, those were some men, weren’t they? I think Arthur was my favorite of the lot.


He’s my favorite too! I knew I’d like you! Oh, speaking of hot men you can cover with Nutella—I mean, glorious characters that make my knees weak, who is your favorite character? If you could bring one to life, who would it be?


I don’t really have a favorite favorite. But of the men, if I could bring one to life, it would be Michael from Devil’s Love, because he was so damn cute in my eyes. Or Eli from Wedding Survivor because who doesn’t love a cowboy loner? But then there’s Arthur, another personal favorite, and I was also partial to the Highlander boys, Liam (Highlander Unbound), Griffin (Highlander in Disguise) and Payton (Highlander in Love). Oh, Payton! He made me cry.


Hey, I said one. Don’t be greedy, leave some for the rest of us! LOL Oh, alright. I would love to see them all come to life too. I could put all those Nutella jars I’ve got stashed to good use. Hmmm, yum...

What is the most romantic thing that’s ever been done for you, and did it inspire a scene in one of your books?



My husband and I were engaged for YEARS before we got married. I was the hold-up. There just always seemed to be something in the way of planning it. So he took the bull by the horns, so to speak, and arranged the most beautiful wedding and week for just the two of us in Lake Tahoe. He got the pastor, the flowers, the location, the resort hotel. He planned all the meals, all the activities—all I had to do was show up and say I do. It was absolutely wonderful and he was very romantic. And no, it hasn’t inspired a scene yet—I sort of want to keep it for myself. But you never know!


He did all that? *sigh* Boy, you are lucky! *sniff*

When it comes to your characters, Do you ever find them in situations that are hard to write them out of?



All the time! I always have a general idea where a book is going, but getting from point A to point B is a lot harder than it looks. Sometimes, I throw out whole sections and start over because I can’t figure out how to get the characters out of a hole I’ve written them into. Right now, I am working on the third book of the “Thrillseekers Anonymous” book, American Diva, and I’ve got the hero and heroine on a private island, alone... but they just met. I can’t let them fall into the sack just yet, so what are they going to do? Hell if I know, LOL. I’ll see where they take me.


We see a trend starting to develop in the romance genre. It seems that authors are starting to diverge from romance by either getting a bit more “chick lit,” or in the other hand, getting hotter sex scenes and writing more erotically. How do you think romance has changed in the years since you were first published? Where do you see it headed in the future?


Interesting question. If by chick lit, you mean the type of heroine and the lack of explicit sex, I don’t know what that’s all about. For a while, everyone was jumping on the chick lit bandwagon, but there seems to be a glut of chick lit titles now. When you walk into a store, who do you distinguish one pink confection-y cover from the next? But readers—especially younger readers—were flocking to the trade-sized format and the younger, single heroine. Now, I think the whole contemporary side of the market is in flux. I think good stories about men and women, with or without explicit sex, will always sell. I don’t know where the contemporary market is headed, but I sure wish I had a road map!

As for hotter sex scenes and erotica, YES, that is happening across the board. I feel a great deal of pressure to write hotter and more sex into books, especially in historical romance. But the hotter books sell well, and the publisher wants to sell books. I want to sell books. Sometimes, though, I wish I didn’t have to write out the whole, insert-tab-a-into-slot-b thing. Don’t get me wrong—everyone likes sex, me included, but some of it has gotten so graphic that nothing is left to the imagination, or is so integral to the plot that the romance and sexual tension goes missing. But I want to sell books so I can afford the cushy lifestyle to which I was obviously born to have, so I write hot, steamy sex!

Where is romance going? I don’t think anywhere, really. It will continue to morph and nothing will remain the same except the fundamental fact that most women and some men love a good love story.


You know, I’m happy you said that because me likey some hot sex LOL. But please, no half-naked people swinging from trees on the cover! While we’re on the subject, do tell us, do you have any input in your covers? Have there been covers that you didn’t like but were irreversibly stuck with them?


I don’t have much input at all! The publisher always asks me if I like the design, but that’s about it.

Them: Here’s your new cover! Do you like it?
Me: I do! But do you think you could change his shoes?
Them: No! But thanks for the input.
Me: Wait, don’t hang up! What about his pants?
Them: Click.

That’s a bit of an exaggeration. And I’ve been really lucky—I haven’t had any real clunkers. I think Wedding Survivor appealed to some and not others. And
Material Girl was voted the worst cover at some site, hahaha. But I liked that one!


Oh LOL, that cracked me up! So you mean they’re the ones who choose the models for the cover art? *thinking* You know, I’d want to be that girl on the cover with her feet up, ready for some fun. Oh, I would definitely love that! Perhaps I should send some pictures of my purrty self to your publishers so I can be in the cover of your next novel. *wink*


Related:

Labels:


17 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's a great interview! Harlot, is Julia coming over later? :D

5/22/2006 10:18:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the cover of Material Girl!

I've yet to read Julia's newest books but i do like her Highlanders. Hehe. :P My fave is Liam. Sigh.

5/22/2006 10:39:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia, that's a great story about you and your darling hubby. :D

Payton made me cry too you know. :)

Lisa

5/22/2006 11:39:00 AM  

Blogger Gatxan said...

Great interview!! So different from those usually boring interviews talking about “how did you build up that incredibly neurotic character?” LOL!!!
Didn’t know Julia London but she seems fun!!!

5/22/2006 12:09:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms Julia,

Great interview! I'll be waiting for part two. :)

5/22/2006 12:47:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the interview so far Julia. Big fan, I too loved the Material Girl cover and Jake!!!

Two questions if I can. The Hazards of Hunting a Duke is this a series?

Do you enjoy writing series books?

5/22/2006 01:29:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Julia! Love your books and the interview too!

Already ordered "Hazards" and really excited to start reading your new series. It sounds great. :)

If I may ask, what's your top 5 books by other authors? :) Thanks!

5/22/2006 01:40:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

Julia, I love your books!

First book of yours I read "Devil's Love" and I loved it and Michael. Yum LOL

Picking up "Hazards of Hunting A Duke" this weekend. Keep on writing!

5/22/2006 02:20:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great interview!
Hi Julia, first I love your dogs, they're adorable! I have 2 large dogs myself (1 yellow lab, 1 black lab) don't get me started on the dog hair around here LOL.

I have not read one of your books yet but I am very much looking forward to reading many.
Is there a book that you would suggest I start with or should I just dive right in?

I have more questions but I'll save them to see if they're answered in the rest of your interiew. I'm looking forward to the second part.

Have a beautiful day!

5/22/2006 02:39:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

I am glad that Eli is one of your favourites! He is definitely one of mine! And Extreme Bachelor is supposed to be here any day now....can't wait. Even just the excerpt makes me want more!

Jake from Material Girl is also one of my faves! He's hot, hot, hot!

Must work on the Rogues books...they're the only ones I haven't read yet by Julia.

5/22/2006 04:02:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Julia, great interview! I love your books and your answers :)

5/22/2006 06:08:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I've heard a lot of good things about HERE BE DRAGONS. So it's really good huh? Now i have to get a copy LOL. Love Philippa Gregory books!

Did i mention i love brownies too? Sigh. They're definitely one of my comfort foods.

So, Julia, that motorcycle dude on the cover, that's your hubby? :P

5/22/2006 07:17:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read most of your books. I'm still trying to get my hands on some of your older releases.

Julia, love the interview! :)

5/22/2006 07:21:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you mrs. london. I loved material girl too, don't remember the cover so much, will have to check.

Do you really do your own shopping? I thought maybe famous writers send the maid or something LOL :P we don't have many maids here, so I don't know how that is to work ;)

5/22/2006 10:55:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

Harlot...you so have to get Sharon Penman books - she writes really meaty historical fiction....so good!

5/23/2006 05:31:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

Oh, and in Material Girl...hot scene involving a motorbike...man. I think I need to go and get the book out to reread a couple of parts!

5/23/2006 05:34:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

>> I make the old man do it.

Smile :D If he has some free time could you send him over to Germany? :P

5/23/2006 07:04:00 PM