Monday, May 22, 2006

Julia London part deux (that's two in french, I think)

Julia, what can you tell us about your new historical series that’s coming out this June? What is the first book, The Hazards of Hunting a Duke, going to be about, and how will it knit the upcoming books together?


“The Desperate Debutantes” is a new series about two sisters and a cousin who are society darlings in the early 19th century. But then their mother and aunt dies unexpectedly, and her money goes to the stepfather who is intent on marrying them off to the first person to ask. So the three of them must pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get creative to avoid marrying someone without the social stature they desire.

The first book,
The Hazards of Hunting a Duke was fun to write. The idea came to me during the Charles and Camilla nuptials. I wondered what would have happened if Charles had fallen in love with Diana after they married? When her mother dies, Ava, the oldest of Phoebe and Greer, determines she must marry well to keep them in good standing among the ton. But she’s not settling for the first guy that comes along. She has her sights set on a really great catch, Jared Broderick, the Marquis of Middleton and the sole heir to the Duchy of Redford.

As it happens, Jared’s father has been hounding him to marry and provide heirs. Jared is happy to oblige, but the problem is, he can’t abide the woman his father has hand-picked for him. He finally succumbs to the pressure to marry and provide an heir, but chooses Ava because he likes her spunk. They strike a devil’s bargain—her womb for his status. Ava is happy that she has married a man of standing that will allow her to live in the style she adores, but then she goes and falls in love with him... only he doesn’t seem to love her.

The next two books in the series will be about Ava’s sister and cousin and what they do to avoid being married off to some stuffy old lord. The next book, The Prince’s Prisoner, is set in a gloomy old castle in Wales and is about Greer, the cousin.


In addition there are your latest comtemporaries, Extreme Bachelor and the anthology Hot Ticket. Both are already available—guys, don’t forget to check those out too.

Tell us, Julia, do you ever read Amazon reviews for your own books? What’s the funniest/most maddening review you’ve read so far?



I don’t as a rule because my skin is just not thick enough, LOL. Some of the reviews are wonderful. Some are funny because you can tell the reviewer did not read the book—the names and events are wrong, and it sounds like they guessed what happens after reading the back cover. Some reviews are mean. It doesn’t happen very often, but I have had readers talk about how stupid my characters or story is, and how they threw it across the room it was so bad. You know, life is too short to search that sort of thing out! I’d rather just live in ignorant bliss like I normally do.


The readers are, of course, entitled to their opinion, but were I an author, I too wouldn’t torture myself reading bad/mean reviews about my books LOL. Speaking of books and bitches who love them, *g* do you stop by The Book Bitches blog often; and if not, WHY aren’t you?


Well, I am now! I didn’t know about you bitches until a week or so ago, and I can’t believe I missed you! I love a good snarkfest. You guys sound like the women at my blog, The Whine Sisters, where all we do is kvetch about celebrities, men, and shopping. Not books so much, because we just have so many things to complain about in front of books.


Trollop and I love dishing about those topics too! Especially male models; we’re a bit obsessed with them, you see (check out our fave Raoul here). *wink* I thank the heavens everyday I was born a girl—you know, we do all have the fun! LOL

Okay, now for the silly question: What do you think Victoria’s secret is?



She’s a fatty.


Personally I think her secret is she’s a transvestite. A fatty transvestite perhaps?

After imagining Arthur grilling something for me a la
naked chef, you know, just to remove those horrible VS images from my mind—don’t think I’ll forget that soon!—Julia, Trollop and I want to thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions. But before you go, one last question: What would you like to ask your fans and The Book Bitches readers?


First, let me say thanks so much for inviting me! I loved the interview and I love your site, and I am honored you actually wanted to talk to me.

Here is my question: Which sort of romance do you and your readers like best: the kind that is hero-centric, or is essentially about a guy as opposed to a girl—my “Thrillseeker Anonymous” books are an example—or that kind that is heroine-centric, like the “Desperate Debutantes” series I am starting with Hazards of Hunting a Duke?


Related:

Labels:


16 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss London, I love the interview!

Love your books. I'll be getting the new one soon. :)

Min

5/22/2006 07:59:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an excellent question, I've never thought about it. Sometimes I think I like the hero-centric books more but I think that's b/c I love getting more into the male mind (The sexy male mind *wink*). But really as long as the chemistry is there and both hero and heroine are characters I can enjoy I really don't have a preference.

Ms. London, I think it is very cool of you to stop by and allow the Book Bitches to interview you. It's been a pleasure getting to know you and I look forward to reading your books. BTW, thank you for the beginner recs!

P.S. Ladies, did anyone else get giddy when your question was asked? Ah, am I just a loser? LOL

5/22/2006 10:48:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny interview. I've been waiting for the desperate debutante series for some months now. Cannot wait to get the hands on it!

I like books where the heros are the main focus. I think seeing how they feel and act when not around the woman they love brings much character to the story. I would love to read a male chick-lit book, like marian keyes' but with a man as a lead. Maybe some day -smile-

5/22/2006 10:52:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhh I can not believe I almost missed the interviews! I have to go and read them both and the comments. Do I get to ask a question?

5/22/2006 11:04:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I love books where it shows POVs of the hero. Like Die Hure said, having an insight about how these men feel when the heroines are not around, or seeing what they really think add so much to the story. :)

5/22/2006 11:46:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the interview, Ms. London. :D

Have no preference. Just a requirement of good story and well develop characters. :)

5/23/2006 12:03:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

I have to admit that I am more partial to hero-centric novels. As long as the hero is good I'm happy!

5/23/2006 05:36:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julia,

I love books that focuses more on the hero.

Great interview and I love your answers. It's so nice to see you visit and answer the Book Bitches questions. :)

5/23/2006 06:05:00 AM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

I don't really have a preference, as long as there's a good story and witty dialogues, and the main characters have good chemistry and are well-developed.

Love the interview, Ms. London. :) Harlot and Trollop, great job for your first author interview!

5/23/2006 06:34:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great interview ladies!

Ms. London, I must say very cool that you're here answering all the questions.

Oh, and I prefer hero-centric novels. :)

5/23/2006 07:20:00 AM  

Blogger Gatxan said...

I really like those stories told from the perspective of both the hero and heroine. The same situation seen from both points of view. If it is written with humor sense, they are usually hilarious. And when they fall in love is great to see both their thoughts… I guess this is not a good answer for your question, Julia, sorry… ;)

Loved the whole interview and thanks for the beginners’ recs. I’ll go through Amazon right now.

5/23/2006 07:30:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Such a fun interview ladies.

I might as well chime in my thoughts lol. I love books that show men's perspective. It surely add something to the flow of the story. It's great for me as a reader to see how the hero truly feels for the heroine or what he really think, even when his actions say differently.

Ms. London, looking forward to reading one of your books.

5/23/2006 09:24:00 AM  

Blogger Leesha said...

Thanks for some great reading!!!
I haven't actually read any of Julias books, but I am heading to Whitcoulls tonight to see what is available.
I have no preference to whos perspective the book is in - as long as the characters are "real" enough, I'm a sucker for anything!!!

~Leesha~

5/23/2006 04:28:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Julia! So sorry, am SO late. Long story.. :(

Anyway, just a big hug and thank you again for answering all our questions, even the crazy ones LOL, and for being such a good sport. Really glad you had fun. :D

And yes, Raoul is MINE. So hands off!

:P

5/24/2006 01:25:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, I almost missed this part two! Can I still ask a question? :(

Sigh. To answer Julia's question, I prefer something of both :) lol I'm not being helpful I see. :P

Great interview ladies!

5/24/2006 01:36:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the interview. Can I just say I love your books Ms. London. I just got the new one. :)

5/24/2006 01:51:00 AM