Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Again with Outlander!

Bawdy and I were just chatting about what happens when you buy a book expecting one thing, and it turns out to be something totally different; in this case, for example, looking for romance and ending up with sadistic violence.

Thought it would be interesting to share a bit of our chat:

Bawdy: Emma Holly is a terrible writer. She makes sex boring, even kinky stuff. This book sucked; dominatrix chick shoves whip up BF’s ass, hated it.
Trollop: How come you continued reading it? Well, not one to cast stones, I finished Outlander and then the sequel, but at least Gabaldon is a good writer. I just started skipping the disgusting parts, which were so many. The book could have been written in 100 pages or less.
Bawdy: Can you bring Outlander into any conversation???
Trollop: Sure! LOL Any mention of the words disgusting, sick, perverted, rape, S&M, beatings, bad, incredibly bad, pedophilia, stupid, moronic characters, idiot, push over twat, red haired imbecile, etc. And off I go.
Bawdy: *rolling eyes*
Trollop: Well, what do you want? LOL It’s god-awful book!
Bawdy: I swear we can be talking gas prices and you bring up that book. I think you secretly like it.
Trollop: I LIKE ripping it apart you mean. So much to say, it’s a masterpiece really, the epitome of a bad book.

Labels:


6 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a thing with author who makes interesting topic tedious, and gross. I do like Emma Holly's series about shape-shifters...or whatever they are. Have you read it Bawdy? But the new ones she's coming out with? It's totally boring. So there's sex and lots of it, but they're like runaway body parts banging away with other ranaway body parts.

It has no soul, no character! They might as well be the banging pistons of an oil well. Come to think of it, those pistons have more eroticism that those newest renderings she came up with.

1/25/2006 03:55:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bawdy, you might actually like OUTLANDER. Don't let VT scare you. Do you have the book?

Also, that spanking scene VT is so troubled about, it's like 4 pages out of a 979 page book...so the book is NOT about being perverse or whatever. E-mail me, I'll send you my copy. I think OUTLANDER is the best of the series. I can't get through Drums of Autumn. Have about 200 pages to go before I ground to a halt and hadn't moved since.

1/25/2006 10:17:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

I'm stuck on A Breath of Snow and Ashes...and don't even WANT to pick it up to finish it! I can't believe it!

1/26/2006 05:50:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of the Outlander series, but I am dying laughing at the above conversation.

Voyager is the one that drags for me.

Oh, and while lots of people do get raped in this series, nobody actually likes it. I can't stand to read one of those old bodice-rippers where the women enjoy being raped. Ugh.

1/26/2006 02:00:00 PM  

Blogger Serendipity said...

Ugh! I meant FEIRY CROSS. I actually like Drums of Autumn....it's just that on Fiery Cross, I didnt' really care about the Regulators" and they occupy a good 100 pages so that's the chasm I couldn't hurdle!

1/26/2006 03:20:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog, by the way.

Just found this from several days ago and wondered if it might have been my SCREECHING post from myfavauthor's BB that prompted your discussion on Emma Holly

I'm having trouble getting the contents of it(the book) out of my brain. Stuff I really really don't need in there!
And I will always pick up a book whose cover says very sensual,sexy
explicit, etc. I don't blame the author. I blame Berkley sensation.

Ii should have stopped reading it after the first 50pgs. I threw it away with about 30 left. my own fault..
tami

1/28/2006 06:15:00 PM