Saturday, August 5, 2006

"... I need to make one thing clear about Dumbledore: he is dead."

And right there, JKR broke my heart in a hundred little pieces all over again. *sniff* Does her viciousness have no limit?


... Some of the more tantalising tid-bits she let fall are that although Albus Dumbledore—the headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry—was murdered in The Half-Blood Prince, he would still have an important role in the final book, and furthermore, his killer Severus Snape (whose role is assayed by Alan Rickman in the Harry Potter films) is actually a good character.

The latter bit, which had been a topic of much debate and speculation among Potter fans, was first voiced at the concert by author Salman Rushdie, who offered his theory that Snape and Dumbledore were in cahoots (over the latter’s murder) and that Dumbledore’s death was a hoax.

“In my opinion, Snape is good,” he declared.

Rowling’s answer: “And your opinion is right, but I feel I need to make one thing clear about Dumbledore: he is dead.”


I am in the group that thinks Snape is good and that Dumbledore and him planned his death and it was all a hoax. Hoping for too much I guess. I forgot about Rowling’s blood thirsty nature. Grrr.


Other items the usually-reticent author let fall were that Harry’s hateful aunt Petunia Dursley would have a very important part in the final book, and heavily implied that Harry and his two friends Ron and Hermione would survive in the book, whose title Rowling is still thinking up.


Who cares about the Dursleys! (Though I find them all extremely amusing; love it when they’re faced with the magical world, especially with Mr. Weasley! LOL)


Rowling also said—in response to Stephen King’s question whether Harry Potter’s rival Draco Malfoy would be redeemed—that all her characters, barring the villain Lord Voldemort, “appear redeemable” and that Harry firmly believed that Draco Malfoy was not evil. This may or may not point to her claim earlier this year that while writing the book, one of her characters had been redeemed whom she hadn’t thought of redeeming earlier.


Draco can be eaten by Blast-Ended Skrewts for all I care. Is she bringing Sirius and Dumbledore back is what I want to know! BTW, was I the only one with a crush on Sirius? ’Cause I’m really starting to worry over my obsession with him...


Later on, at a meeting with fans, Rowling also said that the final book would explain the deep connection between a wizard and his wand.


I thought this was explained in book four! Maybe I should pay more attention to the wand and less to Sirius in my next reread. *g*

Labels:


28 comment(s):

Blogger Claudia said...

hmm...although i really haven't read the books (did see the first movie...), it seems to me that she would insist he's dead, because that is how she wrote it. To say he isn't would be to give away anything that might happen in the final book. Then...having read and seen the Lord come back stronger than before??? hmmm...all to be seen (even though if she kills off Harry...she deserves to be slapped silly and then some!) As for Draco..I'm with you.

8/05/2006 03:13:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I love Sirius as well, but not like you! *rolls eyes* Also seeing Gary Oldman (great actor but he is soooo NOT Sirius!) plays him, kinda ruined the hot badboy fantasy for me. :/

I've always thought Dumbledore and Snape are in cohoots with each other. I think on book 6, it all came down to saving that blasted bugger Malfoy. Grr.

I love Snape. LOL I mean he's despicable and all but his character, the way he's created by JRK, i love it! And i've always thought (after book 1, i thought he was the baddie there) that he is on the good side. Uh-hmm. ;-P

C, READ HARRY POTTER!!!!

8/05/2006 10:10:00 AM  

Blogger Sherry said...

Loved your last post, as did many others - lots of comments.

JKR gets more vicious with every book sale and I keep adding to the $ka-ching. I'm with you VT, I hope that it is all a hoax.

Love your blog BB's!

C - you do need to read the books!

8/05/2006 10:46:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hi Sherry! :)

Petra, i agree. When DD found out about the Unbreakable Vow, and that Lord Voldy had a task for Malfoy, i think he asked Snape that whatever it was, save Malfoy from it. Or something like that. DD would give his life for everyone's good cause, he'd surely die to save Snape and Malfoy.

Snape was sooo angry when they were fleeing Hogwarts. Especially when Harry called him a coward after he just killed DD. He was livid! The way he kept blocking Harry's attacts but not hitting him back, it seemed like he was teaching him: "Blocked again and again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter."

Oh god, JKR better be working on that book 7!!! LOL

8/05/2006 11:23:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Oh... thanks for this Trollop!

I can't believe JKR leaked some stuff! I mean, she's usually tight-lipped about what she's working on.

I think Dumbledore will never come back but he'll still be in book 7. Anyway, he's now one of the portraits in the HeadMaster's office, so he's still in Hogwarts, Harry can still see him there and ask him for some guidance.

8/05/2006 12:31:00 PM  

Blogger Krista said...

i wasn't actually an HP fan, but i read the first book out of curiosity (just recently). It's pretty good. My friend said she'll be lending me her other HP books. I think i'd do that.

First time i came across your blog btw, and me likes it ;) have a good one!

8/05/2006 01:38:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Trollop, Dumbledore is dead.

Dead
Dead
DEAD

So is Sirius.

DEAD
DEAD
DEAD
DEAD!!!

No way to bring them back. Non. Nope. Nay. Nada. Zippididooda.


Er,
Anonymous

8/05/2006 02:00:00 PM  

Blogger C... said...

The connection between the wizard and his wand. I think that just has phallic written all over it.
Petunia has some hidden secrets - maybe a wand of her own.

8/05/2006 02:01:00 PM  

Blogger Lola Lovegood said...

I agree with Trollop about Dumbledore. It would sadden me to see him participating in the book from a picture frame =(

Harlot, are you sure you're not J.K. Rowling in disguise? You are as blood thirsty as she is! =P

8/05/2006 02:03:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I'm so glad to hear JKR spared Ron and Hermione! Killing those two would be as bad as killing Harry! Well maybe not exactly as bad. But still! What a relief really. :P

8/05/2006 02:05:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Sherry,
Don't listen to evil woman Trollop. Everyone knows i'm the good one. ;)


Lola,
Er, whatever do you mean? :-P


C,
>>>Petunia has some hidden secrets - maybe a wand of her own.

Oh too funny! That would be a surprise alright. That woman is as alergic to magic as i am with bugs! LOL

8/05/2006 02:25:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Trollop, I agree with you. I would hate to see Dumbledore stuck in one of those damn portraits. :(

But Harry needs him. And Dumbledore is the force that would bring Harry back to Hogwarts (he said in the end of book 6 that he won't be coming back to school).

Harry has yet to discover the other horcruxes. He certainly needs all the help he could get to defeat Lord V. Dumbledore has to be there for Harry.

8/05/2006 02:32:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hiding?

Hiding from who?

*gasp* Babe, are you suggesting Petunia is hiding Dumbledore and Sirius?!?!!

8/05/2006 02:40:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

You girls are too funny! LOL LOL Thanks for making my boring Saturday a good one. :D

Anyway, I agree about Dumbledore not coming back. There's no way he could. Also, I have a question. This is bothering me since book 5, anybody has a clue of what is behind that veil in the Ministry of Magic? Sirius fell in there. I know Dumbledore is dead but Sirius, I want to think he's still alive.

8/05/2006 02:50:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Fawkes? I think he's dead too, babe. :/ Yep. Or, hmm, since Phoenix can't die, maybe, er, is he hiding too???

Oh me me me! I also think Harry's scar is the last horcrux. :D

8/05/2006 03:00:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Well, yeah he flew away! A red bird like that, easy to see. Uh-huh. Anyone can just shoot him down and barbeque him and eat him or something. He can't revive himself then now, could he?

8/05/2006 03:20:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

Harlot, Trollop, you two are going to be the death of me! LMAO

So is it confirmed then? Harry, Ron and Hermione, none of them are going to die? Well, that's good! :D

About the horcrux, I too believe Harry is the last of it. Anyway, aren't there ghosts in the other side of that veil?

8/05/2006 05:54:00 PM  

Blogger Sherry said...

Ah, seems that I missed out on the fun yet again :-(

I love both you bitches - and all of the other frequent fab commenter's here.

Everyone have a great weekend!

8/05/2006 06:18:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

OMG you two, that's funny! LOL Harlot, you are one bloodthirsty woman LOL

I agree with Harlot about Snape. I think he would be a key to Harry's success in book 7. For one, Snape could teach Harry a thing or two about curses and potions. Plus, he has a lot of inside knowledge about the Death Eaters.

I agree with Trollop about Harry being the last horcrux and that Fawkes should have stayed with him. I wonder where that bird is or if he'd even come back.

Who's Abeforth again?

I'm with Isabella about Sirius. In book 5, he just, well, disappeared. I too believe he might still be alive. Dumbledore is dead. :( I can't come up with a logical reason why would he fake his own death (not to mention distract everyone with mourning) when the whole wizarding world is depending on him.

8/05/2006 06:19:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peace...

8/05/2006 08:54:00 PM  

Blogger Maroo said...

Hello Book Bitches:

I've been reading your awesome blog for awhile but didn't feel the need to ever comment or participate - I'm playing the poor starving college student and can't afford to buy rad romance books.

There is a relationship between Dumbledore and the pheonix story. Dumbledore had to die so that he can come back to life; he is the pheonix. Snape knew it and I figured that Dumbledore and Snape planned his death at the right time for the evil side to fully trust Snape.

I think that we will be seeing a much younger but still wise Dumbledore in the next book.

Go Team Snape.

8/05/2006 09:15:00 PM  

Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

I'm gonna go with Mr. Maroo on this one... Look Out Ladies!

Hey, where is GWB? Look Out Ladies!

Does Snape drink Snapple? Ink Wiring Mimes want to know... Look Out Ladies!

8/06/2006 12:36:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Babe, Fawkes is red. Gold? Oh good god, you really want him to die! Flying with golden feathers, he'll reflect more of the sun's rays and savages can see him better. :-P


Maroo,
Love your theory! I'm not sure i would like a very young Dumbledore though. Hmm.


Scott,
Just Butterbeer and Firewhisky. *g*

8/06/2006 12:47:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Btw, i too didn't like all the snogging. But that Won Won thing was pretty funny LOL.

8/06/2006 12:58:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Oh I love any news about HP. And this one is the best one so far, thanks Trollop. :D Anyway, I agree about Sirius' locket being one of the horcruxes. Isn't it in Grimuld's Place?

I think that veil is a doorway too. Probably some portal that would lead to the "underworld". I can only hope Sirius is there and can come back to life. Maybe Harry can retrieve him or something? Too much? LOL

About book 7's release, isn't it going to be next year? Probably July again.

8/06/2006 01:03:00 AM  

Blogger Claudia said...

Harlot,
I know! I must read HP!! I'm just scared that once I start, I won't be able to stop--I'll hole myself up and ignore all my other responsibilites (primarily school)until I've read every last morsel and weeks later, I'll emerge and be completely discombobulated by actual sunshine!! I'll have to pace myself!!

8/07/2006 12:14:00 AM  

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Hi,

First time I've visited your blog - looks good. I'll be back.

I love Sirius. But he should have been played by Alan Rickman. They were made for each other.

I have been convinced that Snape is a goody ever since I read the last book.

Surely Harry has to die? Either that or be in therapy for the rest of his life.

8/11/2006 05:00:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Ok VT, is it Sirius or Gary Oldman because you know, there might be a fine line of difference.

Hmmm. Of course, I'm no theraphist, but I think Sirius was sexy. Do I think he's a spongey-worthy sexy? Not sure yet, but sexy.

10/02/2006 10:49:00 AM