Sunday, August 19, 2007

Are we snobs?

A comment Harlot made in her weird elf whatsissomethingorother post made me wonder if we’re in fact blog snobs!

This is something I don’t very much think about because I act and react on our blog pretty much the same way I do in real life. However, I’m aware that “me” rubs some the wrong way at times. I don’t look for anyone, I don’t call anyone, I don’t care much if anyone likes me or not—I like myself well enough, thank you LOL—and I think this doesn’t sit too well with all types of people. Harlot’s comment made me wonder if, perhaps, this has translated to my online persona.

Maybe we are snobs even when we think we’re not (more Harlot, who has her own driver, than me of course)? Mmmm....

Labels:


20 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trollop you're such a snob! LOL.
I guess online interactions does leave something to be desired - sometimes I read a joke in a post and while I get it, I can understand how some people can misunderstand.

Online personas (personae? sp?) are very.. fragile, shall I say? I don't think you are a snob, Trollop, if I may be completely honest with you, you do project a certain devil may care attitude, and yes I did figure out the "I don't care much if anyone likes me" and that's cool, more power to you, but I know some people might think "who the hell are you to think that you don't need to impress anyone" or something like it. Mislead? Yes. But such is the way of the (online) world.

Ok I have no idea if the paragraph above is comprehensible - I'm sorry - I'm not good in explaining things.

About the personal driver thingy - I know that's a joke, but put like that it can make Harlot sound like a snob. But I have to defend her, sorry. You live in this part of the world, it's more about safety than anything else. If you can afford a driver for your precious daughter like Harlot *snicker*, you will hire one. I myself have had drivers all my life. It's not the common thing to do in most parts of the world, but really over here it's not that big a deal - drivers don't come that expensive. Neither do maids.

In my country, say I got into a car accident. Be it my fault or not, if I was a lone woman in the car, I will not get out of the freaking car - no smart woman will. I will stay in the car while waiting for my father, or some male friend to come help me sort it out, because:
1. You might be bullied just 'cause you are a woman.
2. You might just get robbed (this one doesn't really matter if you're a woman or a man) outside of the car.

There's many more reasons but it all comes down to the same thing: this part of the world is not the safest art on earth. And no this is no paranoia.

Sorry to ramble!

8/19/2007 08:01:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Snobs? TBB? pfft

I have always found you two very warm and very sweet. ;)

8/19/2007 12:54:00 PM  

Blogger Menchie said...

I don't think the two of you are snobs.

Agree with Babz. Having a driver and maids and nannies in this part of the world is the norm.

8/19/2007 10:38:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I am chuckling about this (though i'm not sure i know how to chuckle :/) because the last person i need defending from is Trollop. She is my babe after all. Evil, yes, but my only babe.

And yes, Babz, you are right about the driver. I think having a driver is a gift and a curse. Gift, because for example after school or shopping, i'm tired so i can sleep in the car on my way home if i want to. Curse, because it's always a trick ditching my driver when i'm into something i don't want my father to know. :/

8/20/2007 01:25:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Babe, i think our readers think you're a snob; no one's answering your question. :P

Oh, well, i dunno about me online but those who don't know me usually think i'm a snob. My siblings' friends, at school.. Trollop and i are the same in this in the sense that i don't call anyone, don't look for anyone, i don't care what others think about me really (though i get annoyed, and then i get protective :P) besides those individuals that matter to me.

Now, Trollop is nice to everyone. She is. Which, she knows, irritates me to no end. She always tries to please them, even those that don't deserve her smiles. It's because everyone is drawn to her warmth and she does her best to accommodate them. She knows i've always HATED it--HATE IT--that she does things for people when THEY can fucking do it themselves. Ugh.

8/20/2007 01:37:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I don't think you BB are snobs or blog snobs. What Trollop has said on the post, I think it's the right attitude to be honest. Why care about other people's misconception of you when they don't know you?

8/20/2007 02:32:00 AM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Not a snob per se but an elf snob. How can anyone HATE Legolas!!!!

8/20/2007 02:43:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Lily,
Not hate, just... unlove. *g*


Jolie,
My point exactly. ;)

8/20/2007 03:09:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

I want a driver. Sigh.

Hm? Oh, no. I don't think you guys are snobs. It's not a bad thing to know what you like. :)

8/20/2007 03:19:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

And what exactly is it you want Dean to drive? Please don't say the Impala! LOL (this term makes me snicker :P)

8/20/2007 03:32:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not defending you per say, Harlot, more like defending the notion of having a driver.

I don't drive yet, but when I go back and start uni in Jan I'd have to. I'm already stressed at the thought of the jam. THE JAM! Ugh.

8/20/2007 07:31:00 AM  

Blogger M.Amanda said...

I've never met either of you in person, but from the blog I'd not call you snobs at all. I'd say, if anything, you are just happy with who you are and don't need outside reassurance of your own worth. So why would you care what other people think? Why would you seek out other people just for the sake of company?

That is supposed to be a good thing, though it really ticks some people off because that means you don't feel obligated to kiss the ass of people who do need that reassurance.

That said, security issues aside (not a big concern in the American midwest), I'd only like a driver some of the time. Some roads are just too much fun to drive on to sit in the back seat. However, I would like to nap on the way home some days. Honestly, I'm more envious of how you girls managed to make it into your 20s without knowing how to clean your own clothes. Seriously, doing laundry sucks!

8/20/2007 09:35:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not caring what others think certainly is not argument for snobbery. I tend to like people more when they can just be themselves without caring about my oppinion or trying to impress me. I think that even though you bitches have drivers and can't do laundry (God, we live in different worlds), you are far from being snobs. Perhaps if you lived in the U.S. and had those things you might be. Or maybe not.
I think being a snob means that you think you are better than everyone else. Entitlement is another symptom. I don't get that stuff from you. You guys are so nice and welcoming to everyone.

8/20/2007 12:28:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Sparkling Cipher!
How are ya?

Oh yikes, the laundry bit. That was embarrassing really. :S

Well, Trollop now knows how to do it and she promised to do mine when i come visit her. :D


Karamia,
I think being a snob means that you think you are better than everyone else.

This is true. Really, Trollop and i are lucky to have smart and fab readers. *sniff* I blog because of her and she blogs because of me. It just so happen that there are people who like it and we are grateful, truly truly. :) Those who don't like me/Trollop/TBB, well, we're not forcing anyone to like us or read our stuff..

Though, *glaring eyes* everyone should read Twilight, TBH and HP!!! :P

8/20/2007 02:13:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I don't think you girls are snobs. Though, I totally agree with Sparkling Cipher, especially the part about the laundry. Even my daughter has to do laundry, lol.

8/20/2007 04:30:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I don't think you guys are snobs. I think you are the BEST. :)

8/20/2007 06:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I've been away from my family since I was 13, so I know how to do my own laundry. ;)

But yeah, if I lived with my parents until now, I probably won't know how to do a thing - my grandma is actually proud to say that her kids have never washed dishes even once in their lives, because she thinks it means she's been able to give them a better life, so to speak.

8/21/2007 03:40:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one here thinks you are snobs. I think you guys are fab-u-lous. ;-)

I think it's a good thing that you don't seek anyone's approval. Kissing someone's ass is never a good thing.

8/21/2007 12:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continue being yourselves.

8/21/2007 07:29:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

precisely what psm said.

i can't even imagine where this snob doubt question came from

all nutella to your heart's content!

8/22/2007 12:57:00 PM