Thursday, January 17, 2008

(BRIS-ing-gr)

Oh, rejoice, rejoice, ye dragon lovin’ fans of Christopher Paolini! The cover, title and new on-sale date for Book 3 in his “Inheritance Cycle” has been announced yesterday, yay!

Nope, the title isn’t “Empire” (as rumored it would be amongst obsessive folks) but Brisingr (BRIS-ing-gr), an Old Norse word for fire.

I know. *lesigh* Why must it be the hard-to-spell-and-difficult-to-remember title?


BRISINGR is one of the first words I thought of for this title, and it’s always felt right to me,” said Christopher Paolini. “As the first ancient-language word that Eragon learns, it has held particular significance for his legacy as a Dragon Rider. In this new book, it will be revealed to be even more meaningful than even Eragon could have known.”


“Bris-watsis” was supposed to be the last book of a trilogy but Chris started imagining more dragony stuff. Hence, the trilogy became a “cycle” with a promise of (at least) a fourth book. Uh-hmm. Hopefully he’s not planning to do it like La Nora and her gazillion “Dead” books.

Oh-kay. Chris, darling boy, I’m a terrible speller who can’t pronounce weird languages. You understand if I stick with “Empire”? Goody! Now, originally slated for release on September 23, 2008, “Empire” will go on sale at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, September 20. The cover—featuring the gold dragon, G something—was drawn by the renowned John Jude Palencar, illustrator of both the Eragon and Eldest covers. Pretty goldy, huh?

Labels:


6 comment(s):

Blogger M.Amanda said...

Cool. I don't usually like fantasy, but I really enjoyed the first two books. They really were so much better than the movie. I can't wait to find out what happens to Murtagh. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read the second book, but I wasn't happy that the turn in his life was thrown at us right at the end, then we're left hanging. I liked him. Together, I thought he and Eragon would make everything right.

1/17/2008 11:54:00 AM  

Blogger Mallie said...

Definitely looking forward to it, even if I can't pronounce the title and.. well tis a little bit of a LOTR rip off, I do enjoy the books - they're like LOTR without the overly descriptive passages. Though I am sad to see it becoming a 4 book series instead of a trilogy like I was promised *lesigh*

1/17/2008 12:10:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I haven't read the books or seen the movie. Is the story funny, dramatic? Does it have a love story or just dragon loving? I didn't really enjoy LOTR, but I did like the movies. I guess it's just not for me.

1/17/2008 02:10:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I never read the books either (or seen the movie), despite that I have sort of a thing for dragons (Robin McKinley's Dragonhaven, by the way, is superb).

Never got into the LOTR books, but I did like the movies.

1/17/2008 04:57:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Me too. Haven't read ERAGON. Actually, i read the first few chapters and had to stop. Until now have yet to continue reading.

I saw the movie. Not bad. But not particularly good either. It's fun though heh.

Now, LOTR. *lesigh* I don't think anyone can dispute that LOTR is a magnificent SUPERB fantasy story. Just the imagination behind it... i am deeply awed. But i don't think it's a truly great literature. The way Tolkien wrote the books.. erm.

Not dissing Tolkien, who am i to do that LOL. And he's an uber master of myths and languages. But as an author, dunno... There were parts when i was reading his books that i felt so bored. Long stretches of boring stuff. So flat. Long sentences with nothing happening. LOTR's story and its myth are fantastic but Tolkien's text, i'm no fan.

This is why i prefer the movies because Peter Jackson is a better story teller. Middle Earth, everything about it, it all belong to Tolkien. It's his and his world alone. But Peter told the story of that world better than Tolkien did.

1/17/2008 06:34:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

So, this Inheritance is like LOTR slash Temeraire?

1/19/2008 05:33:00 AM