Friday, January 4, 2008

Too many In Death?

I’ve been curious about reading J.D. Robb’s (AKA Nora Roberts) “In Death” series for some time now. Everyone seems to love it, and really, the odds on going wrong with NR are slim to none; even her “bad” stuff is good LOL.

I hopped on to Amazon to find out the order of the series (I don’t really care much for order but if I can find the books as they go I’ll read them that way; if not I can’t be bothered waiting) and there are 31 FREAKING “IN DEATH” BOOKS!

I need to know if this series is really worth reading—I mean, 31 books?!?!?! That requires major investment on my part. Also, being 100% honest here, what are the chances these stories don’t go to hell after the 3rd book?


Related:

Labels: ,


17 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

31??! Wow. And here i thought 7 books is pushing already (besides beloved Harry of course, heh).

Wonder if there's any series--in any genre--that can surpass that 31 books in one series by Nora. And i should really start reading her.. :/

1/04/2008 12:10:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I got kinda bored with the series after 8-ish books (I know it was more than 5 and less than 10, though I couldn't tell you which titles they were).

Maybe it had something to do with not reading from the beginning or in order, but there wasn't enough of whatever it is I like - change, character development, mostly, relationship issues (not that I wanted Eve and Rourke to break up, but their relationship is a little too stagnant/pat/HEA for me) - to keep my interest.

And in the full interest of disclosure, I should add that I'm not a huge fan of NR books - I'll read them, maybe, if there's nothing else around - though I do like her online persona.

1/04/2008 01:37:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

*or interest of full disclosure. or however that line is supposed to go. *sigh*

1/04/2008 01:38:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I'm confused. Is it true that the whole series is about this ONE couple? I mean 31 books and all about ONE couple? How old are they now, 70? :/

1/04/2008 01:44:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Yeah, the main romance/characters is just Eve/Roark, though there are a host of secondary characters who do things too.

I don't know how much time passes between the books, possibly only a few weeks or days in some cases. I think they're in their mid 30s? throughout most of it.

1/04/2008 03:09:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

But 31 books??! I don't think even a book titled "The Dramatic Life of Brit Brit Spears" can be that long. :/

1/04/2008 03:54:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

I find it hard to believe anyone can make 31 books about the same couple good. Hell, authors can't even write 31 good books through-out their careers let alone a series.

I'll give the first couple a try later on, but just thinking about such a long series has taken all the curiousness out of me LOL

1/04/2008 04:30:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

It's a bit procedural, like, say, "House" or "Bones", if each book is like an episode, I guess, only more self-contained.

The courtship part happens pretty quickly and after that, their relationship to me kind of coasts along, with maybe a few minor bumps here and there.

I'd definitely try them - I like them a little more than I do NR's "Nora Roberts" books - but they're not ones that are Must Reads, for me. And 31 books is pretty daunting.

1/04/2008 05:03:00 PM  

Blogger Holly said...

Oh, I love this series. I know 31 books seems like a lot to focus on one couple, but they're really worth it.

Each book focuses on a case Eve is working, with some relationship stuff (along with some amazing secondary characters) thrown in. The dynamics of Eve and Roarke's relationship are amazing.

Plus, he's a billionaire, sexy as hell with blue eyes, and Irish to boot. What more do you need?

1/04/2008 06:15:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

I am up to book 12 of this series, and definitely haven't got bored or anything like that!

Roarke is to die for, there is humour, there is mystery, Roarke is to die for, there is romance, there is depth. Oh, and Roarke is to die for!

Definitely give it a go!

1/04/2008 06:29:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this series. Good writing, good mystery. I'm not certain I have read each and every one of the 31 books but I do love Eve and Roarke. They're my favorite characters from all of Nora's books.

Start with Naked in Death. It will give you a lot of background on the main characters.

Olly

1/04/2008 07:03:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my favorite series of all time. I started reading them in high school and 13 years later I'm still buying every new book JD Robb puts out. (Yeah, I've read all 27 that's currently out.) Eve is probably one of my favorite (if not the favorite) heroine. And Roarke, well to quote Marg, he's "to die for." Other heroes now pale in comparison. JD Robb/Nora Roberts is so prolific that each new book is still fresh and interesting. I like the mysteries and how Eve solves her cases, but most of all I enjoy exploring the couple's life and marriage after they've achieved that HEA. (In other romances you close the book when they get together.) I highly recommend that you give it try. Read the first 3-5 books (start with Naked in Death - that's still my favorite) and if you don't like it, well, you can say you gave it a try. Good Readings to the New Year!

1/04/2008 10:18:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please give it a go! Start from the first one, Naked in Death. I personally, are hooked on them and will continue buying her new in death books. Happy Reading!

1/05/2008 12:40:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Ok, you guys have won me over!

Holly, you hit the nail in the head "he's a billionaire, sexy as hell with blue eyes, and Irish to boot" that is ALL I need to be told to run and get a book LOL

I love me some rich and hunky heroes and men with Irish/English accents are my weakness *sigh*

1/05/2008 08:17:00 AM  

Blogger Syren said...

The series is a good one. There are a lot of books, and the main center is one couple, but there are so many interesting 'other' characters that they more than make up for the only one couple thing.
If you like crime type novels, you'll like these I think.

1/07/2008 02:49:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I love this series! You should try it Trollop.

1/08/2008 01:49:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am up to the fifth and reading them in order. They are working for me till now. A real lot to go its true...

1/09/2008 01:42:00 PM