Thursday, April 13, 2006

The "meh" files

There’s a list I have, a mental list, of those authors that others love, but I don’t. I’ve tried and read several of their books, but I just can’t see the appeal. I call them my “meh” files.

My “meh” authors:
  • Nora Roberts (though I love her writing as J.D. Robb)
  • Elizabeth Lowell
  • Jude Deveraux
  • Stephanie Laurens
  • Lori Foster
  • Christina Dodd
  • Elizabeth Beverley
  • Eloisa James
  • Celeste Bradley
  • Brenda Joyce
  • Sherrilyn Kenyon
  • Christine Feehan
  • Sandra Brown
  • Catherine Coulter
  • Angela Knight
I have another list, this time of authors who are on the verge of joining my “meh” list... I love these authors, but have been disappointed with their recent offerings.
  • Jayne Ann Krentz
  • Judith McNaught
  • Rachel Gibson
  • Susan Andersen
  • Madeline Hunter
  • Julie Garwood
  • Laurell K. Hamilton (she’s already joined my “meh” list!)
  • Tami Hoag
  • Karen Robards
  • Linda Howard (it pains me to put her here, I love her writing)
  • Janet Evanovich
Gee, looking over the list, it’s not going to be long until I list nearly every bloody top selling romance author. I obviously need to find some great, previously undiscovered mid-list author and hopefully read some new, interesting and wonderful novels.

Originally published in Poptart - Musings of a Pop Culture Tart
Friday, July 01, 2005

Labels: ,


7 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey BB's! What do you girls think of Jennifer Weiner? I recently saw "In her Shoes" and with all movies adapted from books, figured the novel would be better. I don't see her on your List of the COndemned or Soon to be Condemned up there. If you have read her, any reccomendations?

--BTM

4/13/2006 09:46:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I have an auto-buy author, though I have many that I will make sure I look for their new releases. Some on your list (Howard, Hoag, Brown, Foster) I liked their earlier stuff, but not the more recent, heavy-suspense/mystery-light-on-the-romance releases.

4/13/2006 11:12:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTM, hi :D

I love Jen weinner. I haven't read her last two, but keep meaning to buy them!!! In her shoes and Good in bed are wonderful books. She is a very gifted writer.

I blogged about In her shoes In november. It's mostly book/movie related. Check it out :D

4/13/2006 11:32:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nora Roberts writing as J.D.Robb -- just finished the entire 18+ 'Death' series -- although I have to go get the new one 'Memory in Death'

4/14/2006 12:52:00 PM  

Blogger Rowena said...

I'm sad to say that I think Julie Garwood is going on my "meh" files, I used to love her books oh so much but lately, I don't even want to buy her books!

JM is another one, but I hear that her latest release Every Breath You Take was really good, so she's only on the verge of making my "meh" files.

I like NR but she's not an automatic buy for me...

Great list and great read, Tart!

4/14/2006 01:59:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I've tried Nora Roberts but didn't like her so she's on my "Don't Buy Again Authors" list. LOL

Jude Deveraux, i always see her books at UBS (like NR) but never felt getting her books, or read them for that matter.

Stephanie Laurens, ack! One of those "robotic" authors. Every book: same plot, same characters, same boring predictable stuff. Not worth my time and money.

Now Brenda Joyce, i only LOVE her "Deadly" series. Oh my Calder.. *sigh* Trollop said her other books suck LOL.

Many of Sandra Brown's books have "heroes" who doesn't deserve to touch a woman.

Now, Catherine Coulter. Euw, euw, euw!!! *shudder* Now her books are on my "Won't Even Touch with a Ten-Foot Pole" list. YUCK!

4/14/2006 06:50:00 PM  

Blogger 'aTiQaH SHaH R.d said...

u should try Neil Gaiman. his works are somewhat of a twisted fairy tale...but it's really fun!!

4/18/2006 02:41:00 AM