Thursday, April 13, 2006

The "meh" files

There’s a list I have, a mental list, of those authors that others love, but I don’t. I’ve tried and read several of their books, but I just can’t see the appeal. I call them my “meh” files.

My “meh” authors:
  • Nora Roberts (though I love her writing as J.D. Robb)
  • Elizabeth Lowell
  • Jude Deveraux
  • Stephanie Laurens
  • Lori Foster
  • Christina Dodd
  • Elizabeth Beverley
  • Eloisa James
  • Celeste Bradley
  • Brenda Joyce
  • Sherrilyn Kenyon
  • Christine Feehan
  • Sandra Brown
  • Catherine Coulter
  • Angela Knight
I have another list, this time of authors who are on the verge of joining my “meh” list... I love these authors, but have been disappointed with their recent offerings.
  • Jayne Ann Krentz
  • Judith McNaught
  • Rachel Gibson
  • Susan Andersen
  • Madeline Hunter
  • Julie Garwood
  • Laurell K. Hamilton (she’s already joined my “meh” list!)
  • Tami Hoag
  • Karen Robards
  • Linda Howard (it pains me to put her here, I love her writing)
  • Janet Evanovich
Gee, looking over the list, it’s not going to be long until I list nearly every bloody top selling romance author. I obviously need to find some great, previously undiscovered mid-list author and hopefully read some new, interesting and wonderful novels.

Originally published in Poptart - Musings of a Pop Culture Tart
Friday, July 01, 2005

Labels: ,


9 comment(s):

Blogger Aggie said...

I find Nora Roberts is very hit & miss. Sometimes I like her stories and other times I think they suck. Her earlier stuff seems to be better. Same with Linda Howard - her last one sucked.
I'm sure the Publishers take a "theme" and make all the authors write on what they think has wide mass appeal - as they seem to come out with a similar story line in a very short space of time. I leave my Romance reading for months at a time if a theme I don't like starts appearing in more than one author. They need to get back to the kind of original writing that we began to love and buy them for. Stuff the Publishers!

4/13/2006 07:29:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey BB's! What do you girls think of Jennifer Weiner? I recently saw "In her Shoes" and with all movies adapted from books, figured the novel would be better. I don't see her on your List of the COndemned or Soon to be Condemned up there. If you have read her, any reccomendations?

--BTM

4/13/2006 09:46:00 AM  

Anonymous 2nd Amdt said...

I don't think I have an auto-buy author, though I have many that I will make sure I look for their new releases. Some on your list (Howard, Hoag, Brown, Foster) I liked their earlier stuff, but not the more recent, heavy-suspense/mystery-light-on-the-romance releases.

4/13/2006 11:12:00 AM  

Anonymous Trollop said...

BTM, hi :D

I love Jen weinner. I haven't read her last two, but keep meaning to buy them!!! In her shoes and Good in bed are wonderful books. She is a very gifted writer.

I blogged about In her shoes In november. It's mostly book/movie related. Check it out :D

4/13/2006 11:32:00 AM  

Blogger sara said...

Dear friend,
I saw your weblog and it was
interesting for me. I hope successful for you.
I would like to introduce an address that you will find very interesting and beautiful templates for your weblog that offer you.
Best Weblog Templates Pack

4/14/2006 05:57:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nora Roberts writing as J.D.Robb -- just finished the entire 18+ 'Death' series -- although I have to go get the new one 'Memory in Death'

4/14/2006 12:52:00 PM  

Blogger Dylan said...

I'm sad to say that I think Julie Garwood is going on my "meh" files, I used to love her books oh so much but lately, I don't even want to buy her books!

JM is another one, but I hear that her latest release Every Breath You Take was really good, so she's only on the verge of making my "meh" files.

I like NR but she's not an automatic buy for me...

Great list and great read, Tart!

4/14/2006 01:59:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I've tried Nora Roberts but didn't like her so she's on my "Don't Buy Again Authors" list. LOL

Jude Deveraux, i always see her books at UBS (like NR) but never felt getting her books, or read them for that matter.

Stephanie Laurens, ack! One of those "robotic" authors. Every book: same plot, same characters, same boring predictable stuff. Not worth my time and money.

Now Brenda Joyce, i only LOVE her "Deadly" series. Oh my Calder.. *sigh* Trollop said her other books suck LOL.

Many of Sandra Brown's books have "heroes" who doesn't deserve to touch a woman.

Now, Catherine Coulter. Euw, euw, euw!!! *shudder* Now her books are on my "Won't Even Touch with a Ten-Foot Pole" list. YUCK!

4/14/2006 06:50:00 PM  

Blogger 'aTiQaH SHaH R.d said...

u should try Neil Gaiman. his works are somewhat of a twisted fairy tale...but it's really fun!!

4/18/2006 02:41:00 AM