Friday, May 12, 2006

Julie Garwood, more of the same

Opposing popular belief, it needs to be said that, not all romance books are the same. Though in general, they basically pursue the “boy meets girl” format, there is a wide array of plots and situations from which to choose from. In respect to characters, settings, eras and development, they are as wide-ranging as any other genre of literature.

The same might not so for specific authors and their novels. In this case, I’m particularly referring to Julie Garwood and her broad assortment of books.

For some years now I’ve enjoyed Mrs. Garwood’s stories. I have not read them in a continuous space of time, and therefore had barely noticed the immense similarities in her plot lines and characters. This past weekend I had the misfortune of reading The Gift. Because the story line was so weak and the characters so annoying, instead of being engrossed by the writing (as I usually am), I had ample time to mule over other details of the book.

JG’s stories are all the same! Her characters are cookie-cutter versions of each other. The heroes are always described as incredibly arrogant and domineering. They are curt and rude to the point where you find yourself exasperatedly amused by their behavior. And best of all, they are handsome giants who are a head taller than everyone else; hard all over, baby!

The heroines are usually raving beauties with a sprinkling of freckles dusting their nose. They are kindhearted, extremely naïve and overly clumsy, but somehow they are described to us as strong and courageous. This, I think, because they all refuse to blindly obey their all-knowing husbands and continually land themselves into a heap of trouble.

Do I mind any of this? Not at all. I love Garwood’s writing style; she is witty and funny and more often than not makes her characters incredibly likable and amusing.

I just hope no more of her books that I’ve yet to read are anything like The Gift. I could not stand reading about another inept idiot that cries at the drop of a hat and who is stupid enough to untie ropes on a ship—not to mention freakishly strong, because those things are damn hard to loosen up! She drove me nuts! And Nathan, the hero? If I had to hear one more time about his loins bursting with lust, I would have tied myself by the nipples to a running vehicle just to stop the insanity.

Reviewing here, for those that haven’t caught on; The Gift is a very bad—a very, very bad book LOL.

Labels: ,


9 comment(s):

Blogger sufferwords said...

I write romance stories

Sufferwords

5/12/2006 02:49:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I LOVE Julie Garwood. But i have to agree with Trollop on this one: THE GIFT, bad. LOL Stupid heroine you'd want to drown. THE WEDDING is another book of hers i didn't like, ack.

But the rest that i've read, specifically HONOR'S SPENDOUR, THE PRIZE, SAVING GRACE, LION'S LADY, THE BRIDE, those are in my touch-and-you-die shelf. ;)

5/12/2006 02:23:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not read the author Julie Garwood.

Loins bursting with lust? Nipples tied to moving vehicle? my stomach hurts from the laughing!

5/12/2006 02:33:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

I love "The Gift" LOL. I thought Sara was a handful but she's adorable. But you're right Trollop, Julie Garwood's stories are all the same! But I still love them. ;)

5/12/2006 08:23:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked The Gift too. LOL. I also love those books Harlot mentioned. :D

5/12/2006 08:55:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading Saving Grace right now and loving it!

The Gift is actually the only book I've read of hers I don't like. I liked that wedding one Harlot didn't. Don't remember much of it, but know i didn't hate it.

5/12/2006 09:24:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LUV Julie Garwood, But it's more at a respectful kind of distance sort of love. I've read one or two and 'Honours Spelndor' has pride of place on book self between 'I, Claudius' and Jasper Ffordes the 'eyre affair'. But I would hate to ruin the realtionship by over doing it. After reading this I realise that it was wiser to leave it thus!!

5/13/2006 02:48:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, finally, someone else has noticed this! I thought I was the only one. I have also found that Karen Marie Moning is cookie cutting her characters too. In her last 3-4 books all her heroines are uni students who are study ancient history or something close to that, all are petite virgins, the first sexual encounter has the hero bending over the heroine taking her from behind (just to name a few things) ....yep formula writing at it's best...just change the title of the book.

5/13/2006 04:41:00 PM  

Blogger Kate Diamond said...

I loathe "The Gift." What a fabulously horrific end to an otherwise good series.

Though I prefer Garwood's Highlanders to her Regencies. Her cookie-cutter brooding belligerant male is more believable (and sexy) when he's wearing a kilt and swinging a claymore.

Mmm... kilt...

5/14/2006 09:24:00 PM