Saturday, September 16, 2006

Άνανδρος**

I have a confession to make.

I’m scared of sharing this since you guys will all think that I’m a yellow-bellied, lily-livered coward, but, er, I’ve sort of uhhh, *ahem* well, you know... *cough* IhaventfinishedreadingTheOtherBoleynGirl. *cough* There I said it!

But, really, who can blame me? I’m terrified!!! I already know horrible things will happen to Anne and George and I honestly like them both (even if Anne is such a cruel twisted bitch). I got so emotionally invested in these characters I don’t want to see them suffer horrible deaths. So as long as I don’t carry on reading, they’re all safe in my mind. Does that make any sense?

Oh god, I know I’m pathetic. The worst thing is, this isn’t even the first time this happens! I hate sad books. Even in romance novels, I’ll usually skip the conflict parts when I reread (hard to do the first time since then you won’t know what the hell is going on) and if a book is truly troubling me, I’ll just go right to the last couple of pages and read the end.

Does this happen to anyone else, or am I a freak of nature?***

**Greek for “coward.”
***Harlot, no smart-ass comments!

Labels: ,


16 comment(s):

Blogger Girlie said...

I feel same way about books...then I buckle up and suffer anyway.

Go, suffer now, go!

9/16/2006 05:45:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh, אדם מוזר**

I told you, learn to read with your eyes closed. :/

Love,
θεά Harlot


**אדם מוזר
That's Hebrew for "my poor babe".

9/16/2006 06:41:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Trollop, this happens to me too. I can't continue reading for fear of something bad happening to the characters. LOL But you should read TOBG! Really good book. :)

9/16/2006 07:35:00 PM  

Blogger Sherry said...

Trollop, you can always pull a "Joey" and put the book in the freezer :-p

Getting emotionally invested in the characters is what makes the story more real and personal and it's also proof of a great writer. Finish reading it!

9/16/2006 08:52:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

trollop, i was gonna suggest pull a joey but sherry beat me to it. ;p harlot, lol!

9/16/2006 08:57:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Trollop, finish the book. LOL Besides you already know what's going to happen to them anyway. ;)

9/16/2006 10:41:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Trollop, I think everyone feels the same way about good books. But that doesn't mean you should stop reading. LOL :)

9/16/2006 11:18:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I remember, my lit prof said that reading is an adventure. I agree. As Dickinson said, there's no frigate like a book to take us lands away. When the author is really good, you feel like you're inside the book experiencing the story with the characters and get emotionally invested in them. This is why i cried buckets for Tatia and Shura, *sniff* and this is why JKR SHOULD NEVER EVEN THINK OF KILLING HARRY/RON/HERMIONE! I'm still mourning Dumbledore, for crying out loud!!!

Speaking of HP, babe, i don't think you should read book 7. It might kill you.. :/

9/16/2006 11:42:00 PM  

Blogger Tisty said...

Actually I too didn't finish The other bolyen girl for much the same reason!!!! I read my first Henry VIII when I was 13 and just learning to read properly (Yeah I know, Slow but gifted :-D). And I cried for a week over the demise of Anne. I've since read several fictional accounts and ever time My stomach just turns at the brutality.

This time I just said enough was enough. I know what happens and no matter how cleverly the writer deals with the matterial I just can't!! It must be a hereditary thing because my sister can't bare to talk about the guilotine and the thought of it quite literally makes her go white. You should have seen the look on her face when I made her sit through the scarlet pimpernal!!

But then, what are big sisters For :-D

9/17/2006 02:27:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I used to be a very big Elizabeth I and Anne Boleyn history buff (still am) read non-fiction books about the six wives of Henry VIII. He's a real ass and I would never want to read about him in any type of fictional plot setting (well I have already, many books, including the royal princess diaries: Elizabeth the Tudor Rose and The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn).

9/17/2006 07:59:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Maybe I'm a freak too but I love when a book makes me cry, lol. I mean I love a good conflict but I hate those that won't end in happy ending.

9/17/2006 11:01:00 AM  

Blogger Claudia said...

I am so with you! I also can't finish reading a book if I know it ends badly for the characters!!

9/17/2006 11:50:00 AM  

Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

: )

9/17/2006 03:55:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I'm with you, Trollop. When a book is giving me so much pain, I just stop reading it. LOL

9/17/2006 05:33:00 PM  

Blogger Mailyn said...

LOL. I still haven't even cracked this book open. I think I'm waiting for the movie version or something. I don't mind torture and mayhem so long as the ending is happy. Otherwise the torture and mayhem is no fun!

9/18/2006 10:47:00 AM  

Blogger Girlie said...

I have a brilliant idea Trollop. Have your boyfriend handcuff you to a chair or bed, and then play the audio of the book you can't bear to read.

Make sure he has chocolates handy to sooth you as you get depressed about the story.

9/24/2006 12:19:00 PM