Monday, June 18, 2007

Peek-a-boo(k)

I’m up to the ying yang with thesis, but my fear of The Blog Nazi Harlot will not allow me to advance until I’ve posted something; I live in fear of her wrath!

While I was breaking my head over what to write—something short and entertaining was my idea—I took a peek at the ending of After the Night by Linda Howard. You see, curiosity is killing me and at the rate my thesis is going, by the time I’m done, I’ll have forgotten what the book was about to begin with.

Then, of course, inspiration struck! Who peeks at endings?!? Come on, ladies, admit I’m smart! I got the perfect short and fun topic and didn’t even break a sweat LOL.

This is me: I peek at book endings. That is, unless I’m reading a mystery or a thriller—but then again, I don't read many of those so, yes, I admit to reading the last couple of pages on most type of other genres. Dramas, especially, give me the “peek-a-book” crazies. I get too curious and distracted, and unless I find out what happens in the end, I can’t concentrate.

So people, now that I’ve aired my dirty little secret you can come clean and confess that you peek too!

**Trollop here BTW. Too lazy to log into my own account. *sigh*

Labels:


19 comment(s):

Blogger Isabella said...

LOL Trollop. I do that too. I always try not to and then I give in and take a peek. I think it's safe in romance because we all know the hero and the heroine will be together anyway, but in other genre, I try not.

Good luck with thesis!

6/18/2007 08:25:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

After the Night is one of my favorites by Linda Howard. Gray... sigh.

Now, I always try not to peek because there are endings that will spoil the book for me if I "accidentally" read them before reading the whole book first. And the moment you read it, there's no way you can take it back. So Trollop, peek-a-book is a bad habit! LOL

6/18/2007 08:34:00 PM  

Blogger Menchie said...

I thought I was the only one who does this. I peek at all the books I read. And i also like knowing how a movie ends before I see it.

I have no willpower whatsoever.

Good luck on the thesis Trollop. :D

6/18/2007 09:08:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit...I'm a total NON-peeker. ;) I hate knowing anything about the ending before I actually get to it. Messes with the natural flow of reading for me. I like to be surprised and I like not knowing how things will turn out. I'm the same way with movies - hate knowing the ending before watching the film.

But I do think you're brilliant for coming up with this topic, Trollop (yes, that's me kissing up. Yes, I'm okay with the fact that I'm a kiss up! I am enlightened. ;) )

Cheers,
ms

6/18/2007 09:09:00 PM  

Blogger Maria said...

lol... I READ THE FIRST PAGE! If I don't like the first few sentences no matter how good the book.. it get's put down.. now if I am duped and the first page was good .. and the rest seems to more than suck.. I sadly continue reading!

Hence the reason I finsihed reading Paint it Black by Janet Finch *(White Orleander)* :(

Why I keep reading I'll never know.. I imagine it's some weird hope the book will get better!

All the best,
M

6/18/2007 09:24:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always, always, always peek. Just can't stand not knowing what is going to happen before I go to sleep and if I stayed up late enough to finish the book, I'd be sleeping on the job. Or when I'm getting ready in the morning and I'm reading a new book while drying my hair, etc., if I don't take a sneek peak, I take the book to work and close my office door. Bad me! Gotta know what's going to happen 'cause heaven knows whether or not there's a HEA in romance books.

6/18/2007 10:00:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I always peek. That says a lot about my willpower, LOL. We all know romance books end HEA but I still want to know for sure that the characters will indeed get HEA, or I want to know how "happy" they will be (pregnancy, kids, marriage, new castle, etc).

6/18/2007 10:47:00 PM  

Blogger Duvy said...

I do it, too. I think the worst time was during Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and I was just skimming through the last few chapters when I saw who died! I wanted to kick myself the entire rest of the book. I also wanted to kick Harry for the entire rest of the book for not using the dang mirror in the first place!

*ahem*

I try not to, but sometimes a book will reach a dull part and seeing something that's coming up makes me want to get to it quicker. :P

6/18/2007 11:15:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I don't peek! That will ruin the book for me. That's without saying there were times I really, really wanted to know the ending already, I couldn't wait and I was very tempted to take a peek! My solution: to read faster. Hey, doesn't that make you loose weight? ;)

6/19/2007 12:06:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I'm guilty of this too. I can't help myself and then I regret it whenever I read a line or two that will spoil the story for me. Aaagrh!

Duvy, I did that with book 5! I was warned that someone will die and I just had to take a look!

6/19/2007 12:33:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

Mirror? Duvy, I think you mean Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, not the Half-Blood Prince. ;)

6/19/2007 12:37:00 AM  

Blogger Stacia said...

I'm a total peeker, absolutely. I'm going to bind the new HP novel with rubber bands to try and stop myself...but I doubt it will help.

I look at the endings of books before I even leave the store with it, I'm so bad about it.

6/19/2007 02:10:00 AM  

Blogger Duvy said...

Oh, oops, you're right Petra I did mean Order of the Phoenix! But I cheated in Half Blood Prince, too.... argh....

6/19/2007 02:36:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did that until I peeked at the last chapter of Wilbur Smith's Triumph of the Sun - and the book was totally ruined for me. Never did it again lol.

6/19/2007 12:32:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only read the epilogues ;-)

Olly

6/19/2007 07:45:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I'm a peeker too! I need to know pronto if a book has a happy or sad ending.

6/19/2007 09:11:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

I always cheat and peek. lol That says a lot about my willpower. I can't stand not knowing what will happen in the end and since I can't read the whole book within a few minutes, I take a peek.

6/19/2007 10:04:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am proud to say I'm a non-peeker :D For me, peeking upsets the balance of things. I don't want to know the end before I read the start, middle part and how and why things happen in the first place.

6/19/2007 11:00:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO, No, no peeking at the ending ... E V A H!!!

6/26/2007 03:24:00 PM