Saturday, July 22, 2006

Eloisa James

Last night I began reading my first Eloisa James book: Fool for Love.** When a book strikes a cord with me, be it a good or a bad one LOL, I usually feel the need to put a face to the “voice” I’m reading. When books are bad I always think I’ll find a middle aged woman with freezy hair down to her butt and a wart somewhere on her face—hopefully even a cheesy flower stuck in her hair somewhere? When books are good I am most positive there will be a kindly older woman in a classy beige suit looking into the camera. This is what I was expecting for Mrs. James: the kind smile, the suit, the shoulder length straight hair and the crinkly motherly eyes.

When I flipped to the back cover I was shocked. *gasp* This lady is bloody gorgeous! She has such a beautiful and fresh face. I was completely blown away by the surprise of it. She wasn’t what I expected to be for sure LOL. She looks like a blond Charlotte from Sex and the City. The photograph is classy and depicts her as an intelligent woman. Even if she were hideous, the style of the portrait is so simple it would be hard not to like it.

Sometimes writers have pictures that are too cluttered and overwhelming: A woman galloping barefoot on a horse, a man inside a convertible in front of a mansion, and (the worst I’ve seen) a lady that looks like a fortune teller dressed in black rags with her hair down to her knees in front of a moor and some rocks.

I’m not sure why I’ve been rambling incoherently for so long LOL, the whole point of my post was that EJ is bee-you-tiful, and I’m really enjoying her book! *g*

**Yes, I’ve just realized it’s the second book in the Duchess Quartet, and I have the first one too, so I should probably go back and start with that one. *sigh*

Labels: ,


15 comment(s):

Blogger Angela James said...

I met Eloisa James last year and was privelaged to have several meals with her at a conference we attended. Through all of the authors I've met in the past several years, she continues to be one of the most (if not the most) gracious and charming people I've ever encountered. She's a witty and interesting conversationalist, she was kind to all readers and authors who approached her to share a word about her books or to ask for advice, she gives great speeches and weaves a great story and yes, she is beautiful. I'm not a historical fan but I'd gladly recommend Eloisa James' books because she's just that damn nice, lolol.

7/22/2006 11:14:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I love Eloisa James and her Duchess series is great.

AngieW, thanks for sharing. :) I haven't met EJ yet and it's good to know she's as charming as she appears to be. She seems so nice. LOL And yes, beautiful.

7/22/2006 11:43:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Love Eloisa. I didn't like her Taming the Duke too. But I'm looking forward to her next one, Pleasure for Pleasure.

7/22/2006 12:57:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completely heterosexual?

Trollop, does that mean you and I have no chance? And I was hoping for a threesome with Harlot. :(

7/22/2006 02:08:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Anon,
The rumors aren't true: Trollop and i are not doing it. :S I still and always will prefer men. So no threesome with her. Get back to me if it's threesome with 2 gorgeous men. ;) LOL

7/22/2006 02:44:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Isn't Eloisa a Shakespeare porfessor? I love her books. Much Ado About You is my favorite in her Duchess series.

7/22/2006 04:19:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is really pretty. How old is she? She looks like a school girl in that picture LOL I have her books one of her series in my TBR, I think they're 4th or 5th on my list now :)

7/22/2006 04:41:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Simi, her Duchess quartet books are great. Start with Much Ado About You.

Eloisa James is beautiful. I didn't know she's a Shakepeare professor.

7/22/2006 06:03:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Oh God, the photos of authors on the back cover. I've always thought some of them look weird, or that if I were that author I would use another photo. I just think authors should wear something nice, elegant if you will, or a casual one but still very presentable. No sweatshirts or weird looking black dress that looks like someone would wear in a halloween party. Jeez.

7/22/2006 06:11:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I think Lisa Kleypas' pic on her back cover is very pretty. Also Kristin Hannah. Like Eloisa (i've always thought she looks so charming), their pics look fresh and very lovely.

Also, SEP's. Simple yet very elegant looking.

7/22/2006 06:51:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I swear i didn't know! I've never read her. :/ And please, you EVIL WOMAN, if you're the one praying for my soul, the one who PRETENDS she's praying to stare at altar boys, i have no chance in hell of being saved! (Er, pretty sure there's something wrong with that sentence. :S)

7/22/2006 07:10:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

OMG Trollop! Those pics are bad!!!!! LOL LOL LOL

7/22/2006 07:12:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Jesus who is that last woman on your list Trollop? Oh god my sides hurt from laughing!

I read a couple of BC novels in college. They were so short you could read one in a lecture and be done before the professor was through! No sex either. The girls were always virgins (and got married virgins) the men were always handsome and rich, and apparently had erectile disfunctions since they never got it on with the girls jajaja

7/22/2006 07:22:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

Trollop, those pictures are horrible! LOL

The backcover is the only source of info about an author. Unlike in the movies or TV, there are no other scenes, it's just that sole pic. If that's the case for me, I would certainly pick a very good one where people won't think, "Is this a joke?"

7/22/2006 11:18:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about Eloisa. I've always thought she was a classic beauty. You should check out her picture in a certain magazine where she did a feature article on traveling and living in Italy. One of the pictures is where she at a table with her husband, another shows her from the back wearing a really great skirt, but the whole photo is just lovely. I just can't remember the name of the magazine. katherine

7/23/2006 11:58:00 AM