Sunday, July 16, 2006

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

There’s actually a National Ice Cream Month! I had no bloody clue, or I would have been out today in my Sunday’s best hogging down ice cream and celebrating!

Apparently, in 1984, President Ronald Reagan thought these cold treats deserved to have a whole month dedicated to them and declared the third Sunday of July as National Ice Cream Day. No objection here LOL.

I, for one, have a torrid love affair with ice cream. It doesn’t matter what the occasion is: a children’s party, an elegant dinner or just a family get-together, if they’re offering it I’m there. *g* I’ll eat anything from plain cones to sundaes and root beer floats to banana splits and, *sigh* my all time favorite, brownie à la mode. Oh my my my. Make no mistake, wherever I am, whomever I’m with, I will be getting my share or heads will roll.

I specially love the toppings. Nutella fudge (oh be still my heart), caramel, hazelnuts, fruits, marshmallows and chocolate: chips, strands, flakes or sprinkles. And you know what I love even better? When the actual ice cream is the topping *wink* over your favorite guy or gal. Yep, serving ice cream is only as limited as your imagination. :P

So what about you? What flavors/brands of ice cream are your favorites? How do you serve it—or even better, how do you like it served? In any case, I say, it’s a good day, go indulge. And don’t forget the cherry!

Labels: , ,


19 comment(s):

Blogger Isabella said...

Oh I love ice cream! I LOVE Haagen Dazs lowfat flavors especially Dulce Le Leche. Yummy!

7/16/2006 08:30:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

That's Dulce de Leche. LOL, I think I need some right now. :P

7/16/2006 08:32:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to love the peppermint ice cream and bubble gum ice cream at Swensons. Of course, I was in elementary school. I don't recall that Swensons was known for high quality, just the ice cream parlor experience.

If you mention Swensons, I'll mention Farrells. There were a couple of these 'Olde Tyme' ice cream parlors in the south bay (Los Angeles) area. We used to go to the one in Torrance or Hawthorne after events in junior high and high school to celebrate. This was a couple years agos (well, several decades ago). They had some great creations with mounds of ice cream and toppings which made for a great sugar rush. I cannot remember if the ice cream was of any quality. It was really about the experience with loud noises and massive quantities of ice cream to share with your junior high buddies.

Swensen's was pretty good, but Farrell's was awesome. They made a creation called the Zoo, which was like 40 scoops of ice cream and a gallon of syrup or something like that. It was brought to your table on a stretcher by two waiters. Meant for a crowd though. You could also order a "pig's trough" and if you ate all of it by yourself, they made a big deal about it. I was never able to finish them. There is a Swensen's in a local mall here in Fort Worth though. Looks like mostly frozen yogurt now though. My fave store bought is definitely Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia.

7/16/2006 09:04:00 PM  

Blogger Yvonne said...

I love licorice ice cream...among others. I can't eat much anymore because of my diet...but I sneak a few bites here and there.

7/16/2006 09:18:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Oh my... Hot fudge sundae with german chocolate ice cream and bananas. YUM

7/16/2006 09:21:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

The best ice cream is the stuff made at home, if done right. It's amazing what you can do with some sugar, eggs, cream and a vanilla bean.

Next best is stuff like Steve's or Cold Stone, or the home made stuff at a good restaurant.

The best mass produced is anything that has good ingredients (cream, sugar, eggs, natural flavor) - B&J does, Breyers, Dreyers, Turkey Hill, you name it. Most of the major brands now have product lines that are not made with the long list of chemicals.

7/16/2006 09:29:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

OMG! DRYERS RULES!!!!!!

7/16/2006 09:41:00 PM  

Blogger Czarina said...

Dryer's slow churn Vanilla. Great for smoothie

7/16/2006 09:56:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Trollop, that's very sweet of your BF. :)

Baskin Robbins, has a "no sugar added" ice cream that comes in 2 flavors. During the winter months "Chocolate Mint", and during the summer months "Pineapple Coconut" Mmmmmm.

Btw, Cold Stone Creamery has just started a fat free smoothie line that is out of this world. Love it!

7/16/2006 10:57:00 PM  

Blogger Walter Guest said...

Long ago, when I was a kid, I often ate a quart of Neopolitan ice cream for lunch. It cost 25 cents. I ate it in a park, using a piece of the top cover for a spoon.
For years in Southern California the best ice cream, by far, was the store brand in Thrifty Drugs. It beat all the much more expensive name brands. It may still be there under a different name.
Ice cream slightly melted always tastes creamier. My wife always laughed at me for putting my ice cream in the microwave briefly. But that made it better to me.

7/16/2006 11:00:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

I'm with Lollie Rose, home made ice cream is the best! But, if it's got to be store bought, i pick Blue Bell Strawberries and Cream. Yum!

7/16/2006 11:45:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love and recommend Breyer's Double Churn Chocolate. It is a 2 pointer for Weight Watchers!

7/17/2006 12:14:00 AM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Phish Food By Ben and Jerry's. I also like homemade ice cream but it's just too much work. My mom used to make vanilla ice cream, and put it in a warm, freshly baked apple pie, mixed it up and popped it into the freezer. Really good.

7/17/2006 12:54:00 AM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Peanut butter chocolate--Haagen Das (sp). It's the ONLY way to fly :)

Dakota :)

7/17/2006 02:08:00 AM  

Blogger Foto said...

Tartufo is the best
Is the only ice cream which is soft and is not frozen
No syrup of course
Syrup mixes the flavours

7/17/2006 02:19:00 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Ice Cream is the one thing I can never turn down.
Baskin Robins has the best mint chocolate chip

Edy's light has awesome French Silk

Cold Stone Creamy, where you can make your own mixture is amazing.

I don't like fruit in my ice cream unless it's smothered in chocolate fudge other wise I'll save the fruit for a healthy snack later.

Harlot, now I have to go and get ice cream...

7/17/2006 10:59:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm diabetic and really like Blue Bunny sugar free ice cream. The flavors are really good and I now can have ice cream without all the sugar.

7/17/2006 12:54:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Big Dipper is the best. I love going there for my sugar free Moose Tracks. I think I have a large cup about every week LOL. I went on the South Beach Diet, so no sugar, no flour. They have about three different types of sugar free ice cream, but Moose Tracks is the best!

7/17/2006 12:56:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

I love strawberry sherbet! I know, it's not really an ice cream. :P

There's this place in Nowy Targ, Poland where they have the best freshly made, low sugar (naturally, not like spenda) ice cream. They use real fresh fruits and no preservatives. I know there are many kinds of ice creams and places around, but it's the only place i have seen those kinds.

7/17/2006 01:58:00 PM