Friday, July 7, 2006

Take me to the movies

My big passion, besides books and chocolate, is the movies. I love watching everything from cheesy romantic comedies, to suicide inducing dramas, to action adventure (especially the ones with hot shirtless men *wink*). I love everything and anything that has to do with cinema. I enjoy it all: the good to recommend and mule over, and the bad to whine about and then continue to trash. *g*

Coming out this summer, are a lot of films I want to catch. Living in the D.R., I don’t get movies the same day they premiere in the U.S. (unless it’s a world premiere) so I have to wait anywhere from one to four weeks to watch. *sob* I entertain myself looking at reviews, and making lists, ordering films by priority for ex:

(1) Anything with a hot actor, that promises any type of nudity *g*
(2) Hot actor, great movie
(3) Hot actor, cheesy and/or bad movie
(4) Ugly actor, good movie
(5) No main actor, but actress that will wear wonderful outfits I can copy
(6) Ugly actor, cheesy and/or bad movie (this one I usually skip, what’s the point really?)

So, according to my priority scale, these are the movies I’m watching in order of importance:
There are, of course, others, but I should really get to work if I don’t want to get fired LOL. I’d really appreciate you guys giving me a heads up on any good films you’ve watched lately, and sharing your TWL (to watch list).

*TGIF*

Labels:


31 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

I have the same list. Of course dying to see PIRATES tomorrow. Yayayayayay!!! :D

SUPERMAN, wanted to see it the first week it was released here (same as US). But BF wanted to see it on IMAX, which was sold out for two weeks! Grr.. Since i'm a good GF, *sigh* i had to wait. We got tickets now, going to see it this coming Wednesday. I bet that package would look better in 3D.. :P

7/07/2006 10:09:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh forgot MY SUPER EX-GF! Sooo funny! I saw this when Uma was on Oprah. I think this one is good.

DEVIL WEARS PRADA, i heard nothing but good reviews. Going to watch it with sis. It's not here yet, probably next week. Also, i heard Simon Baker is there! I LUB him on The Guardian. Oh Nick Fallin... *sigh* that bad boy melts my heart.

7/07/2006 10:15:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw Devil Wears Prada. Better than the book and Meryl Streep is amazing, perfect in fact.
Trollop, your twin (and I'm refering to her post-makeover) is very good in this as well. The clothes are way over my fashion-struggling head. I felt underdressed while watching lol. But it's fun to see all the outfits.

I want to see Pirates - yummy Johnny!, Superman (but only because no one will shut up about it being so great so I fell I have to see it, plus the 'package' *wink)

Other than that, I don't really know. I'm out of the loop.

7/07/2006 10:16:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I saw Superman last week, and loved it!!! Trollop, you're right about Brandon's package, it's HUGE! LOL! Really enjoyed this movie.

I've yet to see Devil Wears Prada. I wanted to read the book first but since I don't even have a copy yet, I'll probably just catch it on DVD. :P

POC, Johnny! Can't wait!

7/07/2006 10:21:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trollop, this is the rare time with the movie is MUCH better than the book (DWP).

7/07/2006 10:29:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Trollop, love your list. I have another one. This is probably not one of those really great films but it falls under your category 3. LOL

"Step Up". It's one of those dance movies like Dirty Dancing, Center Stage, etc, which I love. And, sigh, Channing Tatum, oh god, YUMMY!

7/07/2006 10:35:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw The Lake House. I thought the movie was good (but then again I'm a HUGE Keanu fan) :-). Having said that, I did find the premise hard to believe. If your willing to suspend reality then you would like the movie.

7/07/2006 11:21:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh!i did see the Date Movie!
Don't watch it!Its hardly funny!!

7/07/2006 11:58:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot about You, Me and Dupree. I love K. Hudson.

GWB, what movie is Julia Stiles in?

7/07/2006 01:24:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Oh I can't wait for Pirates! I love Johnny Depp. Sigh. I really loved the first movie, I hope the sequel is equally great.

Trollop, I liked the Lake House. LOL. It's not that bad. Keanu's still hot. :P He and Sandra have such a good chemistry. You should try it. :)

7/07/2006 01:30:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

I love summer movies! Of course I'm waiting for Pirates too. I saw Superman already (for those who haven't seen it, go watch, it's really good!). I'd probably see Devil Wears Prada tomorrow.

Jolie, Channing Tatum has a new movie? He's way too young, but seriously, that boy is HOT! It's embarrassing but I saw that teen movie She's the Man (yes lol) and OMG, that boy will make a felon out of me! How old is he? 20? LOL

7/07/2006 01:52:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to see Pirate of the Caribbean, just because of Johnny Depp! :D

7/07/2006 04:56:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

OMG Casey, isn't Channing hot or what? But yeah, he's a bit young. It doesn't matter, he's old enough. :P LOL "Step Up" opens on the second week of August if I'm no mistaken.

Ohhh, did you see him on the cover of GQ? Oh my.

7/07/2006 05:59:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

My brother saw Pirates last night and he really loved it. Like Linka, I'm only going to see it because of Johnny Depp. I don't particularly like Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly is blah. But Johnny, oh Johnny... sigh. :D

7/07/2006 06:05:00 PM  

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Of the flicks on your list, I have only seen "Superman," and can recommend it wholeheartedly, even though as dastardly plots go, Lex Luthor's in this one just made very little sense .. I, like everyone else in the world, will be going to see "Pirates" tomorrow

7/07/2006 06:55:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vanessa, I'm totally with you on Orlando Bloom: why does he keep using his Legolas stealth voice in every single movie he does? That's not his normal voice that he uses in interviews...

Keira Knightley is blah, you summed that up fairly well.

7/07/2006 07:16:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw both Superman and Pirates. I actually liked Superman more- Pirates was a little slow to begin with and used a lot of stuff from the 1st movie. I am looking forward to the 3rd one, tho.

7/07/2006 08:23:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Saw Superman the other day. I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. Really good movie, ladies. Ohhh, Clerks 2, going to see that one. Love Kevin Smith movies.

Now The Break-Up (Aniston, Vaughn) do not see this movie, it totally sucked!

7/07/2006 09:13:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I saw Click last week. If you like Adam Sandler, well of course you'll love the movie. There are a few laughs, mostly crude jokes, but nothing you will remember later. The movie is so predictable. If you're thinking this could be the next Happy Gilmore (the only good AS movie), nope, it didn't happen.

Now Superman is really good. I think the best summer movie so far, though I'm not sure how that title would last now that Captain Jack is here.

7/07/2006 09:32:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Betsy, you didn't like Pirates? Oh, our first reviewer. :) My brother said not to leave after the credits because there's a little more scene left. I think second movies usually suffer from the sequel curse. People tend to compare it to the first one. POC:DMC will probably suffer from it too especially when Pirates 1 was such a great fun movie.

Linka, I totally agree with you about Orlando, LOL. What's up with his movie voice?! I really don't see his appeal. Blech.

7/07/2006 09:42:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Okay this may be far too early but did anyone see the SPIDERMAN 3 trailer? Love the black suit. Also, there's a movie based from Augusten B's RUNNING WITH SCISSORS?? OMG, i'm definitely going to see that! Loved that stunning book.

Now for Leggy Bloom, i'm with Linka and Vanessa here (V, thanks for the info about the scene after credits :D), I too never understood his appeal. It's no secret i think he can't act, not to mention he's way too thin, only have one facial expression (Legolas'), and even after leaving Middle Earth, he still hops like an elf. (Just in case, FYI: i'm a huuuge LOTR fan, thank you. :P)

7/07/2006 10:08:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Reel fanatic, I really liked Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. :) I thought he did better than Gene Hackman, who somehow couldn't quite pull it off as the brilliant villain of Superman.

My only complain in this movie (really enjoyed it, the first one this summer) is Kate Bosworth. She is sooo wrong to be playing Lois Lane. Lois is feisty, quick-witted, yet still vulnerable in the eyes of Superman. She didn't deliver in my opinion.

Harlot, Running with Scissors is a movie now? Oh wow, i thoroughly enjoyed that book.

7/07/2006 10:47:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I agree with the Kate Bosworth complain. Still, overall, Superman is a fantastic movie. Superb.

Of all the superhero movies, I loved Batman Begins with Bale. (Hmm, come to think of it, I have the same complain with that one. The only spot in that movie: the heroine, Katie Holmes). However, I think Superman Returns is better. It has action, romance, humor and a vulnerability that makes you relate with a superhero. Highly recommended.

7/07/2006 11:20:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trollop,

Lady in the Lake. I want to see it too. I like the Fast and Furious movies but will wait for this one on DVD.

Saw Superman and The Devil Wears Prada. I think I will wait for Pirates in DVD too. Wasn't a big fan of the first one. I hate Orlando Bloom with passion.

Roxy

7/08/2006 05:57:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roxy, I'm sorry, but you're weird =P First person I hear that didn't love Pirates, though I do agree on Orland Bloom YUCK!

I saw Superman last night. That kid is super Hot. Had to take the BOB out for a spin after I got home =) DH is away on business, so he was no help =P

I will wait for TWP on DVD because I really didn't like the book. It dragged and was boring.

7/08/2006 06:02:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I just saw Pirates and I really, really loved it! It started slow but after a while, prepare to be entertained until the very end. :D Johnny Depp is such a great actor. Without him, this movie wouldn't have worked at all.

So is the sequel better than the first movie? No. But if you loved the first one, I suggest do NOT miss Dead Man's Chest. Also they are setting up the third movie from the loose ends of this sequel. I heard Keith Richards will be playing Capt Jack's father! How cool is that?!

7/08/2006 09:36:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also wasn't a fan of the first Pirates movie. Jack Sparrow was the only thing that salvaged the movie for me...Geoffrey Rush was good too. Otherwise, yeah, Orlando Bloom and Knightley don't really make it worth watching.

I just saw the second Pirates and I'll say I was entertained. Johnny Depp was great as always, but the none of the plots were ever resolved and just lead you to a third movie. This second movie is just kind of there.

7/09/2006 04:23:00 AM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Dead Man's Chest was very entertaining indeed. Johnny Depp, as usual, made it all worth while. Davy Jones and his crew were also something to behold. I agree with Linka, none of the plots were resolved. You'll be left hanging at the end of your seat but there's also the feeling you're only seeing a prelude to yet another sequel.

7/09/2006 11:03:00 AM  

Blogger oso said...

I just wrote a post about this; I recommend "Old Boy" which falls on your "ugly actor, good movie" category. If by DR you mean the Dominica Republic, your country is awesome, well, after all, ALL the Caribbean is awesome!

7/09/2006 11:59:00 AM  

Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

What's with girls and Johnny? Guys five easy steps to looking like him 1) get a box 2) get a friend 3)seal yourself in this box for a significant period of time. After about say 3 or 4 days you should start to have your muscles shrink and your skin look pale aka instance johnny:)

7/09/2006 11:05:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Yay for Pirates!

Apparently, Jack Sparrow plundered the box office. :D They got a record of $132M debut that suprassed the previous all time best, Spiderman ($114.8M). That's a lot of money. LOL. They better make the third movie REALLY good!

7/10/2006 10:14:00 AM