Thursday, June 29, 2006

Falling Star

I’ve been an avid fan of The View since it first started almost ten years ago. During high school I would pretend to be sick and stay home from school when someone I loved was on. Later on, in college, studying with the ladies in the background and not being able to focus on either thing, then giving up and just watching LOL. In the past year or so, work and life have gotten so demanding that I can only catch an episode now and again, but still it remains one of the only shows on daytime television that I have religiously followed.

Star Jones was always one of my favorites (after Joy and Meredith). She was smart and poised and had a way of getting her point across in a really classy way that didn’t insult anyone. I loved that she was okay with being a “big” girl, and didn’t feel the need to change to make others happy. She was who she was and she didn’t care whether we liked it or not; something I applauded.

I realized her days in The View were numbered the day she became a promotional whore, “selling” products in the show and getting them free for her multi-million dollar wedding. That’s when I really started disliking her.

All she could talk about was that damn wedding; I was sick of hearing about it. Every fucking tiny, tiny detail of her engagement—the flowers, the bridesmaids, the dress, the guest list and the gay fiancé—she would go on and on and on endlessly while the other co-hosts stared off into space drugged by the incessant chatter. I was hoping one of them (Joyce preferably) would turn around and smack some sense into her; but it never happened, *sniff* and Star just got worse.

Then the weight loss. I have no clue as to how she really lost all that weight. Surgery, lipo, bypass? No idea. What I do know is that no one loses that much weight doing Pilates. Please, give me a fucking break—how dumb do you think people are? You’d have to Pilate yourself to death to lose one pound, let alone 200 LOL.

So you see, it didn’t surprise me one bit when I learned that Star would be “let go” from The View. What did surprise me though, was the way in which she decided to leave. What little class she had left, evaporated before our eyes.


Star Jones Reynolds was booted from The View Wednesday, one day after surprising ABC and Barbara Walters by saying on the air that she wouldn’t be returning to the daytime talk show in the fall.

Reynolds was quickly erased from the show’s opening credits, now down to three women from the usual five.

Barbara Walters said she felt blindsided when Reynolds broke the news Tuesday, then was quoted in People magazine as saying she felt like she was fired.

“We gave her time to look for another job and hoped that she would announce it on this program and leave with dignity,” Walters said. “But Star made another choice.”

Walters didn’t discuss on the air why Reynolds, an original cast member who’s been on the show for nine years, wasn’t being asked back. She said in an interview Tuesday that research showed audience members were turned off by Reynolds’ dramatic weight loss and glitzy wedding to banker Al Reynolds in 2004.


Star called Ryan Seacrest on his KIIS FM show to have her say, which, in my opinion, was a big mistake.


“We had always planned to make the announcement this week. We had planned to make it on Thursday. But I woke up on Tuesday morning and after so much media, so much speculation, it was time for me to say goodbye right now. From what I understand, Barbara never told Joy and Elisabeth [that I was getting fired]. Period!”

“I'm not trying to be emotional about this. I understand it was a business decision. I understood it was a business decision when I was told then. But then in that same week, I was told they were adding a new co-host and it was Rosie O’Donnell. And that was the same week that she had been so nasty and vicious towards me. [Rosie] insulted me. She tried to damage me professionally and personally.”


There are already rumors of who is to take her spot on the show (pretty please, let it not be Nancy Grace, so I don’t have to jump out a window), and suppositions of where Star is going from here.

All I have left to say is, that it’s a sad day when the likes of Star Jones-Reynolds** is what represents women on TV, a sad day indeed. Good riddance, Star. Please don’t let the door hit your skinny ass on the way out.

**She’ll be on Larry King Live tonight. If I have some free time will try to catch the show and see what new products she’s selling now LOL.

Labels: ,


19 comment(s):

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Ya know, I'm going to send in my application. Ya think I could get the gig? LOL

I thought Star was cool to begin with too, but I lost track of the show a long time back and hadven't seen it since.

I also love Joy Behar--she's a hoot :)

Dakota :)

6/29/2006 11:55:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to love Star Jones, even if I didn't agree with a lot of her opinions. Barbara should've gotten rid of her after the shameless wedding promotion she did on the show.

Star should've tried to stay on Barbara's good side. She might be hot now that the scandal is in full swing but who knows when she might need her later.

Roxy

6/29/2006 12:28:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't get that show here in Germany, but reading the post and the comments I don't understand what it was that she did wrong. Was it that she announced she was fired before she was told to?

6/29/2006 12:29:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Star has to look out for herself. I admit, I was a huge Star supporter until she married Al. Yes, it seems as though she had changed quite a bit. However, if they had already decided not to renew her contract, WHAT did she have to lose by making the announcement two days earlier and on HER terms! I said good for her for going out that way instead of letting Barbara prepare some bullshit "we're going to miss you" speech! Barbara was so pissed. It was written all over her face. She didn't even clap when the other two co-hosts did. I think that everyone has been so busy talking about Star's true colors, but did you see Barbara's come out the other day? I certainly did! AND I hope that Gayle King replaces her!

6/29/2006 01:01:00 PM  

Blogger T-girl said...

I have to disagree here, I think Mrs. Reynolds is the epitomy of trash. She showed her TRUE colors with the whole wedding thing and it just got worse. She was NOT fired, she was told months ago her contract would not renue and given ample time to look for new work and make her excuses known (a time frame SHE chose by the way). She was told that whatever SHE CHOOSE to use as an excuse she would be back up for so that she could save face, this does not sound like a network that FIRED her but one that was making a business decision about a family member they cared for. Her choice to jump the gun was imature and just another example of everything being about her, it was also really rude to a "family" that seemed to care for her and wanted to help her to succeed in her plans for the future. She choose to exact her revenge by making herself a victim. Drives me crazy when people victimize themselves, so victim this: the fact is she is NOT liked by most of the viewers, she IS rude to people, she DOES make derogatory comments about people and she seems to think the whole world is all about HER and her wants, needs or interests. Well I am here to tell her... it is not! I say good ridence Star Jones Renolds and may you never work agian for you stupidity! Just don't come out at Barbara funeral or in 60 years talking about what a bitch she is... everyone already knows it, has for years, nothing new and we love her anyway, the woman has class ozzing out of her pores! You could learn a lot from her!

6/29/2006 01:17:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My main complaint with Star was the way she totally DISSED very funny comedienne Kathy Griffin. She actually MOVED AWAY from Kathy on the couch when she was a guest on the show! I know Kathy has a mean wit and disses alot of celebrities but Star treated her like a pedophile or something!!! Barbara also wasn't happy with Kathy, but NOBODY and I mean NOBODY does to Barbara Walters what Star Jones did by announcing her leaving without discussing it with her first!!! I quit watching for a while because of Star's attitude but then I started watching again, just to see her bad behavior as it worsened from week to week. Now with her gone for sure and Rosie coming in, I will definitely watch. As for who should replace Star--let's hear it for Whoopi Goldberg! LOL

Olly

6/29/2006 02:12:00 PM  

Blogger Serendipity said...

What is The View? LOL.

I am so out of touch on TV-land. I don't think I've sat still long enough to follow anything on TV, except maybe Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, House MD, and some episodes of CSI.

6/29/2006 02:56:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Star may not be the nicest sista in the room, but girlfriend is definitely educated. She is a lawyer remember.

I watched the View to see what Star was gonna say next. She was entertaining.

Star did exactly what any one of us would have done. Star will land on her feet and continue to be Star. It is was has made her famous.

6/29/2006 06:50:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

The only sad part about this is, that back in the day (pre-Star's weight loss) I tuned in to The View occassionally. I liked hearing Star drop legal knowledge pertaining to certain issues.

Can Elizabeth be next? She adds nothing to the show!

6/29/2006 07:02:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

OMG yes! Besides, she just sits there and smiles, nodding affirmatively once-in-a-while. The cameras hardly panned her way. She's annoying! She should have done Survivor Allstars. LOL

6/29/2006 07:13:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I'm not a Star Jones' fan anymore but I liked that she took control of the situation and blind sided Barbara and ABC not once, but twice! She announced that she was leaving the show earlier than expected, and then gave an exclusive interview to People magazine without ABC's knowledge. Further, the People interview was released on the same day that she announced she was leaving the show.

That's some stealth planning on Star's part. I'm impressed. :P

6/29/2006 07:48:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked Star's presense on the show even when she became crazy with the wedding and the weight loss. Yes, it was very annoying, but I like the way she expresses herself.

What she did this week, though, has really put me off her.

The only other t.v. woman I dislike more than Elizabeth is Nancy Grace, and it's a very close tie!

6/29/2006 08:49:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serendipity, I'm with you I don't watch the View or any tv anymore for that matter (although I'm thinking of checking out this Grey's Anatomy that everyone talks about). Anyway, I have never watched the View because I cannot stand the sound of BW voice. She's a fine person her voice makes me nuts.

I agree about the young chick, Elizabeth?, I saw her on an interview once and couldn't believe she was hired on for a talk show. She can't possibly add anything of value.

6/29/2006 10:01:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Gayle King is a terrible replacement. Her own show was bad. I'm sure she is very nice, but probably gets her jobs in television because of Oprah. LOL Sorry. It's a good thing she will be with the other ladies because I don't think she could intertain anyone with her own show.

I like Rosie, but NO ONE should have to discuss their private life & lose their job because of this unless she is hurting someone. It shouldn't matter what Star had stapled or fixed, it should be her business. That's what I have to say.

6/29/2006 10:24:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to love watching the View too and I didn't mind anyone. I liked Barbara though, love how she'd always get flustered by some of the raunchy things the others said (especially Joy) lol. The only one I never liked was Elizabeth. I know they wanted to get a conservative opinion to balance out some of the more liberal views of Star and Joy, but couldn't they get an intelligent one??? I swear some of Elizabeth's arguments were as dumb as "we should just trust the president in whatever he decides because he's our leader."

*rolls eyes*

I can't wait until Elizabeth is booted. And what was she famous for anyway? Just because she was on Survivor? I'm sooo impressed...*not*.

6/30/2006 03:35:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

GWB, I agree, Star scares me. She looks so weird after all the weight loss. :/

6/30/2006 05:01:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am disappointed with the way everyone is bashing Star Jones. Yes, how she acting while planning her wedding was annoying; but I have friends who have acting the same when planning their weddings. And if anyone here says they don't have crazy friends who act like bridezilla's or have the potential to act like bridezilla, I'll call you a liar. I think that people expect too much of celebrities and can't handle when they act like real people. I will always admire Star and can't imagine having to go to work day in and day out and have to smile at the faces of people who fired you would drive anyone crazy. Yes, when ABC said they were not renewing her contract that is her pretty much getting fired no matter how you look at it. And yes, I was very proud of her for getting the one up manship on Barbara Walters. Personally, I would have told them to screw themselves long before she did.

6/30/2006 06:19:00 PM  

Blogger Maddie said...

She got on my nerves from the get go. I don't know what it was but she always rubbed me the wrong way.

7/01/2006 08:40:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never really cared for Star to much but the whole thing about the wedding and just really turned me off her.
Seemed all she started talking about was herself and her life can't stand Elizabeth. Does the women have a original(sp?) thought in her head?
Would love it if Kathy Griffin got Star's job she would HATE that!!LOL.
Star was so smart it is a shame she wasted it on a stunt like this.

7/02/2006 07:53:00 AM