Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Other Boleyn Girl the movie

I have yet to read The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory, but something tells me if I want to get an “inexpensive” copy I should do it ASAP before this news hits the blogosphere. After that happens, the used prices will sky rocket and I won’t even be able to afford one that has been chewed on by the dog and then peed on by the cat—let alone a semi-decent one! LOL

And yes, the news I’m referring to is the confirmation that the bestselling novel by PG is being made into a movie, starring none others than the very exotic Natalie Portman, who will play Anne Boleyn; the incredibly sexy and oh-so-fuckable Eric Bana will have the role of Henry VIII; and lest I forget, the very weird looking Scarlett Johansson will butcher have the part of the other Boleyn sister, Mary.

I was going to ask Harlot what she thought of the casting, since she has read the book and I haven’t, but decided against it. Harlot’s answer to any casting is “Me.” This is more or less how our conversations on movie roles go:

Trollop: Babe, so who do you think would make a great Meredith Bancroft/Tatiana Metanova/Aunt Jemima in a movie?
Harlot: Oh, I’d be great for that part!

She’s still peeved that she wasn’t approached by the HP4 producers and offered the role of Cho Chang LOL. She’s been plotting all sorts of evil schemes to “get rid” of the poor girl that got the part hoping they might hire her for the fifth installment of the series.

So guys, what do you think of the casting? Who is a good hit and who is an awful miss?

Labels: ,


30 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

Aunt Jemima? Who's that? :/

And PLEASE, i'll be a GREAT Cho Chang--and you know it!!! :@

Btw, loooove the book THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL. But Scarlett as Mary? :S

7/20/2006 01:03:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who speaks english?

7/20/2006 01:39:00 AM  

Blogger dancechica said...

Oh I loved The Other Boleyn Girl! I'm always recommending it everywhere. I actually just got my own copy (I'd originally borrowed it from the library). Anyway, I don't have any opinions on the casting but I am pretty excited about seeing it made into a movie. Hopefully, whatever actors they choose, they will do the book justice.

7/20/2006 02:10:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I love PG's Tudor series and The Other Boleyn Girl is my favorite! I wasn't aware that Hollywood adopted it into a movie.

Eric Bana to play Henry? I'm not sure about that. I have to agree though that he's sexy. I like Scarlett Johanssen. She did fine in Girl with the Pearl Earring. Colin Firth was great too. Of course he fits perfectly in period movies or series set in England. Eric Bana, on the other hand, I've yet to see him play an English gentleman. A monarch at that.

7/20/2006 03:03:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot, I think you would have been better for Cho Chang than that one ugly chick they got. I don't know about your acting skills, hers weren't that great, but it's not even as if you have to do much more than stand there, look at Harry, and smile a couple of times. You can handle that, right?

I LOVED Eric Bana in Troy! He was the only good role in that movie. I don't know how I feel about him being that cad, Henry VIII (really hate this man since I'm kind of a feminist), but I'm sure he's a good enough actor to play a despicable man as well as an epic hero.

I also like Natalie Portman. She's cute and she's good in whatever role she takes on (except Padme in Star Wars where her chemistry with co-star Hayden Christiansen was non-existent). I think she can pull off Anne Boleyn just fine.

Never read this book though, anyone reccomend it?

7/20/2006 03:24:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this is great news! I love Philippa's books.

I agree with Link about Eric Bana. Loved him in Troy. He could definitely pull it off as Henry. I'm not sure about Natalie Portman though. Scarlett Johanssen either. God, she's a bad actress.

If you like Gregory, be sure to try Jean Plaidy. She writes about Henry VIII's wives.

7/20/2006 03:40:00 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

May I request a special blog day in honor of sexy Eric Bana?

Linka, I'm with you, Bana was best part of Troy.

I haven't ready The Other Boleyn Girl but it's in my TBR pile. So I really can't form a good opinion here but I'll do it anyway LOL.

Love Natalie Portman
LUST after Eric Bana
Very Much DISLIKE Scarlett Johansson - she gives me the creeps

7/20/2006 08:12:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Oh thanks for the news! I love Gregory's Tudor series. The Other Boleyn Girl is great but The Queen's Fool is, IMO, better. The way PG integrates fiction and history is flawless.

I would love to see Kirsten Dunst to play as the scheming Anne. I think she'll be better than Natalie Portman who looks too vulnerable and honest.

7/20/2006 08:17:00 AM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

I've yet to read Phillipa Gregory. I usually prefer chic lit than historical fiction. Maybe we should pick this book next as our BBC, huh? What say you, darling BBs? ;)

Oh, almost forgot, Eric Bana, oh-so-fuckable indeed!

7/20/2006 08:31:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Liya,
Are you asking me if i can flirt? :P


Jordis,
I've yet to see Girl with the Pearl Earring movie, but i loved the book. Tracy Chevalier is great!


Sabby,
Thanks and welcome. Hope you post often. :)


TROY was a MESS. Ack. But seriously, Brad Pitt all bronzed like that? Oh my.. be still my heart. Now that's a man worthy for a lick all over his gorgeous body. :P

But yeah, besides Brad being so yummy, his Achilles was bleh. Eric Bana, on the other hand, my my, he's GLORIOUS. Very sexy and the way he played Hector, wanted me to push that wimpy Paris over and over that damn Troy walls and see him fall repeatedly--while he's screaming like a girl and--DIE! Grr..

7/20/2006 10:21:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I love PG's books! I'm not sure if Natalie Portman fits Anne's characteristics but Scarlett would be fine as Mary.

CB, The Other Boleyn Girl is a good PS book to start with. And Trollop's right. If you want to get a copy, get it soon. :)

7/20/2006 10:30:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I too have yet to read PG's books. So this Other Boleyn Girl, it belongs to a series? Is it the first book? Because I prefer reading them in order.

Natalie is a great actress. Scarlett, yuck. Love Eric Bana!

7/20/2006 10:39:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Btw, here are some related posts :P

Rachel's Holiday the movie

Movies: As good as the books?

7/20/2006 10:40:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

For those who want to read PG's Tudor series, here's the list:

1. The Other Boleyn Girl
2. The Queen's Fool
3. The Virgin's Lover
4. The Constant Princess

7/20/2006 10:44:00 AM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

Harlot, thanks for the list. I'm with Danielle, I like to read them in order. Ok, I have to get back to work! LOL

7/20/2006 10:52:00 AM  

Blogger ~ames~ said...

I haven't read this book, but Eric Bana as King Henry VIII?
I think Eric Bana is wonderful. And Natalie Portman is a great young actress, I can see her in this role for sure.

7/20/2006 10:52:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Oh I totally agree with Isabella's suggestion. If the role is a schemer, Kirsten Dunst would be a good choice. Not that Natalie isn't a great actress. Maybe I should read the book first before stating my opinion. Heh.

7/20/2006 11:02:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I haven't read this book too. But I love Eric Bana. He's a great actor. And he's yummy! Natalie Portman is awesome, Scarlett however can't act to save her life.

7/20/2006 12:19:00 PM  

Blogger Mailyn said...

LOL, I like Scarlett somewhat, she's not bad. Natalie is also not bad, don't really care for the dude. then again, I don't really care for most Hollywood folks. my taste and the rest of the world seem to be different lmao

I got this book for free since a friend got a box full of books someone was throwing out and she gave them to me. I'm going to have to read it soon. lol.

7/20/2006 12:53:00 PM  

Blogger VioletEyedDreamz said...

This is awesome news. I think that Natalie Portman would be a better Mary then Anne. She just doesn't have the wild beauty I picture when thinking of Anne and her attitude in this book.

7/20/2006 01:03:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haven't read the book. After three years of studying the time period I'm all tudor-ed out when it comes to fiction.But that doesn't mean I don't have an opionion :-P

Eric Bana? Not convinced, but I wasn't when I watched troy either, but he won me over. so I'll say a hesitent yes.

Scarlet baby: Can't act, don't need to act. Mary is the Pretty sister, so fluff should be fine.

Natalie Portman: WRONG, ALL WRONG. She's pretty for god sake! Anne wasn't pretty, she was seeeeexy. And brainy, and manipulative. She's also one of my fav characters of the period. If they get her wrong I will be v. cross!

7/20/2006 02:18:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gregory's book is an inaccurate portroyal of Anne's life. Still, I really enjoyed it.

I saw the short BBC series based from TOBG but it wasn't very interesting. I hope the movie would be a better one.

7/20/2006 04:08:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

OH NO NO NO

Eric Bana is NOT Henry VIII. Natalie is NOT Anne. Scarlett is definitely NOT Mary. What is wrong with the casting director?

7/20/2006 05:17:00 PM  

Blogger Mailyn said...

jolie, it's Hollywood. 99.9% of the time they get it all wrong just to cast whoever is hot and sells at the moment. lol.

7/20/2006 08:24:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Mailyn, you are so right. LOL. I really hope they won't make a mess out of this. Loved this book. Hope you like it! :D

7/20/2006 08:55:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Mailyn,
You're right. Am sooooo glad they got it right when they casted Tom Hanks for The Da Vinci Code. Snort. Oh well.

At least Hollywood did something great lately. We have a new Superman! :D A very tall one. A very young one. An oh so yummy one. *sigh* Ay caramba.

(Ok, falling asleep LOL. Have a good night. :))

7/20/2006 09:00:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I haven't read Philippa but friends always recommend this book to me. Should probably start reading it now huh.

About the casting, Eric Bana does nothing for me. And he's going to be Henry VIII? Natalie Portman is great, she can certainly pull it off. Scarlett J, not as good an actress as NP, but she's fine. Someone mentioned Girl with the Pearl Earring? I liked that movie.

7/20/2006 09:14:00 PM  

Blogger n/a said...

Squeal!

7/20/2006 09:58:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

Oh I loved this book! Wonderful news, Trollop. :)

I hope they will do the book justice.

7/22/2006 12:29:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Scarlet Johansson was wonderful in Girl With A Pearl Earring. You have to admit, her body is not waif-like, as most actresses in Hollywood. Sounds like a decent cast, although I can't picture Bana as a redhead...Henry VIII was.

7/23/2006 12:03:00 PM