Saturday, November 12, 2005

Books into films: Casting hits and misses in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

When it comes to books adapted into movies we tend to discriminate against the actors who play our beloved characters, because more often than not, they don’t measure up to our expectations.

I’ve just spend over an hour looking at some publicity shots for the upcoming Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and could not help but notice how much many of the actors’ physical attributes differ from the images I had of these characters in my mind. Starting with Daniel Radcliffe (Harry).

I’m beginning to feel sorry for Daniel. It seems to me that he’s not growing up! Or at least not in stature. Lucky for him he gets to wear wizard’s robes in most scenes; that way he can conceal the high heels he’ll need to accurately portray Harry, who is growing a foot with each book. Moreover, even after three movies, he still looks weird to me. I mean, I used to think it was just his eyebrows (which are flourishing rather alarmingly), but now it’s more than that. Danny boy is looking rather creepy with the excess makeup applied to his face! Yikes. These details aside, I have to concede, he fits the role just fine (besides the atrocious acting, of course).

Rupert Grint (such a funny name!) who portrays Ron, reminds me of an albino rodent LOL. Since I just fell in love with rodents (oh, I adore my darling dwarf rabbits—unless they start biting!), make that a very lovable albino rodent. *g* Of all the kids in the HP movies, I enjoy Rupert’s character the most. I know most of the time he looks stupid and clueless, but he does it in such an adorable way it’s hard not to like him better than the others (especially little makeup-crazy Danny-girl, er, boy?). Besides, just the red hair is enough to persuade me: he is Ron.

Emma Watson, in my opinion, has grown into a very pretty girl. I actually think she is too pretty to play Hermione with her chic hair and small front teeth. One thing I do have to mention is the clothes she wears. OMG, the horror! Fashion Police, please help! Oh, Emma, sweetie, you already got the part. Don’t make yourself damn fugly by wearing those horrid muggle outfits.

On to the newbies. Drum rolls, please...

First off, *gasp* what the hell was the casting director thinking of when he casted the girl who plays Cho Chang? Perhaps this person was high on crack or some other illegal substance? I’m so sorry to say this, especially because I am quarter Chinese, but, was it really THAT difficult to find a pretty, young Chinese actress?!? I mean, I presume acting ability is not a requirement; just look at Daniel Radcliffe—and he’s the main character! I just, you know, imagined Cho prettier... *sigh* Very disappointed. Hmm, maybe *I* could play Cho for the fifth movie. *g* What do you think? LOL

What about Krum? If memory serves me right, he was described in a way that never made me picture him as looking the least bit fuckable; but the guy who’s playing him, oh my, isn’t sore on the eyes. *wink* He looks like the big bad wolf on his way to blow me, you big bad thing you—I meant blow down my door, you perverts!

Now Phlegm, er, Fleur, that actress looks okay. She’s not as irresistible and alluring as she’s supposed to be, being a Veela and all, but she’s, well, okay. Love the hair. Her character better be snobby and bitchy in the movie, or it will be a let down.

Finally, the bloke who dies, Cedric Diggory. (Oops, did I spoil anything? Of course if you didn’t know that, you’re not much of an HP fan anyway so you won’t care.) Man, is it just me or is this guy a clone of Orlando Bloom? They have the same body built and facial features; he even has the pout down to a T! Oh lordy, am I the only one who finds this disturbing? Wonder if he also hops like a lizard while running a la Legolas... Well, for his sake (and ours!), I hope he’s a better actor than Leggie Bloom.

Labels: ,


1 comment(s):

Blogger 'aTiQaH SHaH R.d said...

i know it's too late and all to talk bout HP, but, GOD!!!-i thought of the same bloody thing when i was watching HPIV!! i totally agree-Krum is way too DELICIOUS for his character...

4/04/2006 05:16:00 AM