Thursday, October 11, 2007

The next J.K. Rowling *snort* is a plagiarist

My name is Mary Kellis pen name Lanaia Lee. I have a series of books, known as Of Atlantis, possibly the next Harry Potter, according to my literary agent. (...) My book is epic fantasy and would make a fantastic movie, especially since fantasy is so popular.


Heard of this author? Neither have I LOL. Until today, that is, when she—with the “help” of her book, Of Atlantis—suddenly became the new internet train-wreck by plagiarizing David Gemmell’s Dark Prince. See how:




How idiotic is this fuck? Copy it WORD FOR WORD? Oh, honestly. Note to plagiarists: STUPID STUPID MOVE. At least change some stuff, sheesh. (Via Making Light and Dear Author.)

To tell you the truth, I find this verra funny. :P (Yeah, yeah, I’m an evil bitch.) I mean, really, how can I help it when I’m being entertained as I watch it unfold before my very evil bitchy eyes! Check out her website and her chatbox where folks are talking about her plagiarizing ways which, of course, she denied (at first, eheh):


Of Atlantis is totally mine. I have the original manuscript, and witnesses to my work. I put two years of my life in this book, the copy right, I own. I am appalled some one would think I am that dishonesy!


When that didn’t work (how can you defend something undefendable?), she claimed a ghost writer did it. *snort* That didn’t work either (ya think?) so she resorted by “warning” everyone:


I have erractic hypertension, you keep dogging me I could have another stroke, contact my agent and attorney, I’m sure no one wants mt blood on their hands.


Trollop said this could all be a joke. Probably. Have you read Ms. Lee’s profile? The one she mentions EVERYWHERE SHE PROMOTES *cough*togetpity*cough*? A stroke? Six dead children? Wheelchair? Disabled hubby? A self-professed black witch for a granny? Jesus, sounds like a bad Mexican telenovela to me. The only thing missing is for her to lose custody of her Jack Russell Terrier to Kevin Federline—Xenu forbid!

UPDATE: Okay, the poor woman finally had the sense to erase her chatbox... unfortunately. Toldja it was verra entertaining. :/

Labels:


16 comment(s):

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Girls, you should see the thread at Making Light. Her publisher is threatening to sue those who post anything about this issue. Oh, and to curse them as well (yes using WITCHCRAFT) LOL!

Check it out!

10/11/2007 08:18:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

If this woman is right and she was conned, I feel sorry for her. But why would she hire a ghost writer? Does that mean the book wasn't written by her?

10/11/2007 08:23:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Thanks for the link, Jordis. I have no idea LOL. Well, they'll be suing and jinxing a lot of folks because everyone is talking about it (even forums and bulletin boards). Why? Because there's a proof of plagiarism. Same reason why i posted this. If Ms. Lee was indeed conned, then why is she passing someone else's work as hers? In any case, whether it's done by Mary or Lanaia or this Hill fellow, anyone can see it's basically copied.

Oh well, i'm honestly very very sleepy so i'm going to sleep. If i don't come back tomorrow just assume i died from nightmares of 10 fold. :/ Oh, and take care of Trollop!

10/11/2007 09:20:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane at Dear Author has been following this train wreck. Check it out:
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2007/10/11/top-10-tips-for-plagairists/

10/11/2007 09:38:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Good god. That is just... there are no words. She even forgot to replace the name Alexander.

10/11/2007 09:50:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow....She previously claimed to have spent two years writing the original manuscript, and then she hired a ghost writer? Besides the pictures up there which obviously show plagiarism, this is very confusing.

10/11/2007 10:37:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

If she hired a ghostwriter, that is just dandy - and counteracting her claims that "I write because I feel each person has something unique to share with the world and writing is my gift to share".

10/11/2007 10:55:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She obviously has bollocks for brains!

10/12/2007 03:40:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

I'm sorry but this is funny. Both the author and her agent that Cherryl woman are idiots. They should be afraid of the lawsuit from Mr. Gemmell's family and yet they were threatening everyone with witchcraft. And what the hell is a ducky day?

10/12/2007 09:50:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10/12/2007 09:59:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

"I am sure many people ( especially in Europe, Scotland in particular) remember Hill and Hill Literary Agency, especially for being well known for their scams. Don't beleve me check out some Scottish newspapers. You know, I think every one should just stop and take a deep breath. Yes, I am guilty of listening to the advice of Christopher Hill, but that is the only mistake I made. I went back through old files I had saved and I have irrefutable proof, he coached me and did the ghost writing. I even have the receipts where I paid him for his services. My attorny told me because of the proof I have, I did no wrong and those that we to trash my name, well just hope you don't say anything bad about my publisher or I. My attorney is threatning to sue, because for once in my life, being a pack rat paid off."

I'm sorry but LOL! If this is the kind of writing that awaits me in Of Atlantis, methinks I will of pass!

10/12/2007 10:00:00 AM  

Blogger Shosh said...

This could be the secret to getting noticed when you write a book. Plagiarized someone, then create a scandal and then they're on the map.

Hmmm. I am going to go copy Nora Roberts bestselling book now and claimed it as my own...you could be writing about me in a few months :P

10/12/2007 10:27:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything from David Gemmell's side? It seems that this author is popular but I've never heard of him or his books. I'd like to know what his family thinks about this. All I've heard is the wacky side of the thief.

10/12/2007 11:40:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

This is like a circus!

Midas, you know Janet Dailey plagiarized Nora Roberts a few years ago and she blamed it on psychological problems. Ha! The reason why I do not buy her books.

10/12/2007 11:47:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Janet Dailey, ‘apologized’ for plagiarizing passages from rival Nora Roberts’ novels, blaming her conduct on a psychological disorder.

Janet Dailey -- the intact, whole, and undivided, ‘I’ -- did not plagiarize. Instead the dirty deed was done by “my essentially random and non-pervasive acts of copying,” Dailey said. “I don’t know what that means,” said Nora Roberts.

Janet Dailey -- the single, one and only self -- wasn’t responsible. Dailey said her “acts of copying” were “attributable to a psychological problem that I never even suspected I had.” Dailey suffered stress when her husband contracted lung cancer and
she lost two brothers to cancer. “They had a dog that was 13 years old that died, too,” said Dailey’s Los Angeles publicist Sanford Brokaw.

Janet Dailey -- the “admitted” plagiarizer -- didn’t sin and isn’t to blame. Janet Dailey’s “acts of copying” committed literary theft. And Janet Dailey’s “psychological
problem” made it happen.

Nora Roberts perceives Dailey’s pseudo apology for what it is, an excuse, and isn’t accepting it. “I would sympathize with any problems she may have, but plagiarism under any circumstances is a line that cannot be crossed,” Roberts said.

Though distanced and isolated, Janet Dailey at least “owned” her conduct and her disorder, calling it “my conduct,” “my acts of copying,” and “a psychological problem I had.” Not for long, however.

10/12/2007 12:05:00 PM  

Blogger Chipper said...

What is wrong with this woman? Does she really think she would get away with this sort of bs?

10/12/2007 03:36:00 PM