Thursday, October 4, 2007

Romance novel survey

Guys, I found these surveys and thought some of you might want to participate. Feel free to answer any (all?) of the questions here as I am curious to see the answers. *g*

Survey #1
These are the questions, and you answer them here.
  • What are your preferred sources for the romance fiction you read?
  • Why do you choose these sources rather than or in addition to public libraries?
  • Do you keep all or some of the books you read? How do you decide which books to keep?
  • What do you see yourself doing with your personal library of romance fiction books in the future?
Survey #2
These are the questions, and you answer them here (I think LOL).
  • Why do you read romance novels?
  • How do you select romance novels?
  • What sources of information do you use in selection (Internet, Book Reviews, Magazines, Friends/Family, Librarians, Book Cover/Art, Series/Author, Storyline/Book Synopsis, Displays, Other—please describe)?
  • How often do you check out romance novels from a public library?
  • How often do you buy romance novels?

Labels:


3 comment(s):

Blogger Shosh said...

Interesting survey...have to give it some thought...too early to be coherent.

10/04/2007 07:22:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

I'll play!

Survey 1
1. Bookstores. Usually chain or USB. My local independent is pretty much a children's book store.

2. I don't like libraries in general because I don't like having to return books (and with the amount I used to pay in overdue fees, I figured I may as well be able to keep the books). I don't like the library that's close to me because it doesn't have a good selection and is not very reader friendly, I find.

3. I keep most of the books I buy. Although I think my mom got rid of a lot of them when I moved out of the house to go to school. ;) I keep pretty much all books I like and definitely all of the ones I love; if I don't like the book, I'll either swap it (paperbackswap.com, though I haven't used it since the postage went up again) or donate it to the library.

4. Reading them.

Survey 2.

1. Because I like them.

2. I have a few authors I keep an eye out for. Others I get on recommendations and once in a while I try one I don't know or haven't heard of if it looks appealing. I tend to dislike most romance covers, so I try to pay very little attention to those.

3. Internet, Friends and Family, Series and Author, Synopsis (sometimes) and other -- I open a book to a random page and start reading. If I like the writing, I might keep going. I don't like book reviews - even nonspoilery ones - because I don't like having (much of) a bias going into a book; I find reviews have a sort of lingering effect on my enjoyment of something. This is different from recommendations, I suppose because recs usually aren't so specific as to what worked and what didn't; it's more of a "I really liked this book!", which is sometimes enough to at least catch my interest.

4. I don't go to the library often, but when I do (maybe every third or fourth month), I tend to check out 10+ books, usually at least half of which are romance novels -- because I can read them really fast, a lot of the time.

5. All the time, pretty much, when I feel like reading them. A lot of the chain bookstores here usually discount them or have special promotions, which helps with the cost.

10/04/2007 10:19:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

#1
1. UBS
2. Because I can't keep the books from the library.
3. I usually discard books I end up not liking.
4. LOL, rereading.

#2
1. No other genre better than romance. :D
2. By author, mostly.
3. Internet, reviews, friends/family, author, synopsis, TBB
4. I'm not a library person.
5. Once a week? Every time I go to the bookstore, I always end up getting a book, even when my intention is just to browse.

10/05/2007 12:50:00 AM