Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Book recommendations

In one of my previous posts I asked for book recommendations. I’ve been out of the reading world for months now, hence out of stuff to read. In case any of you are in the same situation allow me to share what some of our lovely readers, including Harlot, have recommended.

Ale says:

The Courtesan’s Daughter and The Courtesan’s Secret by Claudia Dain

I’ve heard nice things about this series, yet the ratings in Amazon are quite mediocre. I hesitate to buy them because I’m only in the mood for a very very good read. I need to know that whatever book I read next is short of amazing. I want something to make me forget that we lost, not something that will have me banging my head against a wall (*cough* like that stupid “Pleasure” series by EJ *cough*).

Dance recommends:

Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas
To Taste Temptation by Elizabeth Hoyt
Blue Eyed Devil and Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas
Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran
Devil’s Cub and Cotillion by Georgette Heyer
“Sharing Knife” series by Lois McMaster Bujold

I already got the “Sharing Knife” series, but I now worry that this is the fantasy series Harlot said I should get the other day. One that includes a hero with wings in his cock. Can someone let me know if my assumptions are right so that I can refrain from reading said travesty in a book?

Shoshana says:

“Carnation” series by, er, someone
“Ladies No. 1 Detective” series by A.M. Smith

Now, Shosh hasn’t read this series and as much as I love her, the lovely Amal and I don’t really share tastes in books. She’s gaga over S. Brockmann’s “Troubleshooter” series, that whatsis brothers series by Mary Balogh, and that other series with the Scottish lords that time travel and become fairies. Really hated all the books I’ve read from these authors/series. Surely you can understand my hesitation LOL.

Harlot recommends:

Apparently, every book in the whole wide world so I’ll copy her comment in its entirety above this one.

Labels: ,


5 comment(s):

Blogger ... said...

Heh. No, no. No wings or other accouterments on the hero's dick. :D

...Although I seem to recall you disliking disfigured heroes? He's missing a hand. It's an old injury, though, and not something he's fixated on or a source of angst; it's dealt with rather practically and not made into a drama-fest. I hope it won't deter you from reading the books!

Oh, also, while on a Bujold kick, I also recommend Cordelia's Honor (the first of the Vorkosigan books; each of them more or less stand alone). No disfigured heroes or winged cocks in that one. ;) Just an awesome story about two people thrown together by circumstances beyond their control; it's about how they fall in love, how they each get over (or not) their own issues and the world-building is pretty incredible too.

5/21/2008 10:40:00 PM  

Blogger Stacia said...

Harlot's coming back? Yay!
(Um, not that the blog has been awful without her or anything, I don't mean it that way. I'll just go now.)

5/22/2008 03:59:00 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Lol, when I read Shosh's recommendation for the Carnation series, I'm like, "ummm, errr...I don't know how you'd like it," lol. It's true, you and I don't share the same taste in books. But, the Carnation series is pretty smart, so there is a good chance that you'll like it; it may not be the read you're looking for right now though. I figure there has to be some common ground between the two of us, we both like SEP and McNaught.

Oh, and just for the record, I've never read a Mary Balogh book, though I do admit to having a couple of her books in my TBR pile.

Happy hunting!

5/22/2008 07:34:00 AM  

Blogger Shosh said...

VT, I did personally read Alexander McCall Smith's series and I love it. It's like Fargo does Botswana, only much better.

I love it so much, I'll send you a copy myself in book form or audible form...e-mail me your mailing address already.

This Book For Free has the second book up for grabs.

5/22/2008 12:02:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to get Tami over here, she'll convince you to read the Claudia Dain books! ;)

ALE

5/22/2008 11:11:00 PM