Some of you might remember this post I wrote when I finished reading Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas a couple of years ago. Rereading my post, it seems I didn’t think the book was all that bad, and yet, for some reason, I believe I hated it LOL. Weird how memory does this to you.
Anyhoodles, all I can remember of the book is:
- Hero has sex with a prostitute while pretending it’s the heroine.
- Heroine dresses up as woman of ill repute to entice hero to have sex with her;
dim-witted. Hero “falls” for her scam, doesn’t recognize her *snort* and proceeds to “almost” take her flower. (Yes, I can see clearly now why I believe I hate this book; God what rubbish this plot is.)
- Heroine, who is in love with a country-bumpkin, goes back home to him—after almost giving her flower to prostitute-shagging hero—and tries to seduce him. (I can’t remember why country-bumpkin refused to have sex with her. Some idiotic reason I’m sure.)
- Hero carries heroine’s glasses inside his pockets for months. (I need to know if sane people actually go around doing stuff like that. I’d run and hide from any guy that kept, say, a dirty sock of mine in his pockets.)
- Heroine bumps into prostitute-shagging hero at some party a week after trying to have sex with country-bumpkin and, lo and behold, realizes she’s in love with him! Be still my heart!
The hero, Derek Craven, sleep with the prostitute (Tabitha) pretending it’s the heroine, Sara. It was a very poigniant (sp?) moment because it shows how desperate Derek was for Sara, but he still had enough respect for her to not ruin her “lily-white life.”
I’m sorry, but: What. The. Fuck?
I’m a firm believer that humans aren’t born to be monogamous, but that monogamy is learned in civilized society (and hey, I’m all for civilized society LOL). I also believe that sex without love is just sex, very different from the merging of two minds, bodies and souls in love.
Now, what I don’t get is the respect and poignant part. Because he respected her he fucked other women? Color me damn confused but I’d rather no respect at all than that “poignant” kind of “respect.” I’d easier forgive someone for cheating on me because he wanted to or was attracted to someone else than tolerate that “I respect you, therefore I shag others” BS.
I must be missing something here but this Derek dude was nothing but a manhandling bully that fell for stupid disguises, had sex with prostitutes and kept other’s rubbish in his pockets. Really, people, hardly the description of a man women swoon over.