Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Harlot recommends

Hullo all.

I want to say I agree with Dance about Lois McMaster Bujold. (Dance and I tend to like the same books, I think; though pretty sure she’s far more well-read than I am.) Looooove the “Sharing Knife” series. I’ve read (devoured, more like it) a lot of fantasy novels this year, fantasy with strong romantic aspects (really addicted to this kind of stories) so will recommend books from this genre.

First, Catherine Asaro. She writes sci-fi books but her fantasy ones are very romance-y: The Misted Cliffs, The Dawn Star. Guy Gavriel Kay’s Song for Arbonne is a good example of a fantasy with romance as a central plot. GGK’s Tigana and Lions of Al-Rassan are also excellent but the romance aspect in those is less than in Arbonne. No explicit scenes for Kay so if you’re looking for that you might want to look elsewhere.

Elsewhere means C.L. Wilson and P.C. Cast LOL. And Emma Holly’s Prince of Ice! Oh, wow, talk about hot. Very little fantasy in POI, and the ending could have been better, but loved loved that book.

If you’re into love-hate romance, Margaret Weis’s “Rose of the Prophet” trilogy is good. There’s also Melanie Rawn’s “Dragon Prince” trilogy, another fantasy with strong romance in it.

Elizabeth Haydon’s “Rhapsody” series: great story, great characters. Also, Anne Bishop’s “Black Jewels” saga. Same as Jacqueline Carey’s “Kushiel” series, one of my favorites (JC’s books are surprisingly romantic).

I have to mention Michelle Sagara West (she also writes as Michelle West and Michelle Sagara) whose “Sundered” series started my addiction to romantic fantasy novels. I’ve only read the first one, Into the Dark Lands, (can’t find the other 3 books *so sad*—if any of you lot have them, do let me know) even then I highly recommend this series to those who are into dark, angsty, Romeo-and-Juliet-type of stories.

I have more but this is long already.

P.S. Not fantasy but YA. FANTASTIC YA. Megan Whalen Turner’s The Thief, Queen of Attolia, and King of Attolia. Then, Louise Rennison. I can’t recommend her enough. Her “Georgia Nicolson” books are freaking HILARIOUS; non-stop fun. I keep thinking Georgia is Bridget Jones’s long lost sister LOL. If you only try one book this week, I hope it’d be something from this series. (I swear those Georgia titles alone will make you smile. ;)) *besos*

Labels:


4 comment(s):

Blogger ... said...

I just started re-reading Bujold's earlier Miles books. Made of awesome.

I really liked PC Cast's Goddess of Spring (and Goddess of Light, a little less so), but every other book of hers I've picked up since, I sort of want to throw against the wall. It makes me not want to re-read Spring or Light in case they don't hold up.

I keep hearing about Megan Whalen Turner, but I haven't seen her books in my local bookstores. Maybe I should check Amazon...

5/21/2008 10:47:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

I have heard REALLY good things about Wilson. I really should hurry up and read the one of hers that I have here.

5/22/2008 07:06:00 AM  

Blogger Carrie said...

Ooh! Love Anne Bishop and Jacqueline Carey! I've also read some Guy Gavriel Kay (loved the trilogy whose name I can't think of). I'll have to check out these new names I've not heard of!

5/22/2008 10:59:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have something to look forward too..I don't think I've read any listed here but I saw that my local library has mostof the Georgia series. Can't wait to get started on this one.

5/22/2008 11:40:00 PM