Saturday, April 22, 2006

Sebastian Junger


I would like to state that The Book Bitches is a fair website where we give equal opportunity to inform the public about good books; that we do not give preferential treatment to any one. Oh, come on, who am I kidding? You guys know us too well.

I wanted to write about Sebastian Junger ever since I found out he has a new book out, A Death in Belmont. And no, I am not writing about him just because he is a fine piece of ass. Honest! Or the fact that he’s so ruggedly hot, he could be Chance Mackenzie of the “Mackenzie” series by Linda Howard. *sigh* If Ms. Howard wrote about reporters, he would be the poster child.



Junger is a globe-trotting reporter who has worked for Vanity Fair, National Geographic and other well respected periodicals. He goes to dangerous places to do dangerous assignments with dangerous people. Drool.

So in honor of this fine piece of... er, I mean writer, I thought I should showcase his new book—which will probably be as big as his last book turned movie, The Perfect Storm.

Just a note about The Perfect Storm. I read the book and thought it’s a good read; but it wasn’t until later did I realize just how well written the book was. If you are not familiar with it, it’s a tortured story about six crew members of the swordfish boat Andrea Gail, all of whom were drowned 500 miles from home beneath roiling seas and high waves in what was known as the “perfect storm” because of the unusual weather conditions that come around once every 100 years.

What I’ve come to realize about that book is, that it reads like a novel despite the fact that Junger had no idea what happened in those last hours on the Andrea Gail. He took weather information, eye witness accounts and interviews and weaved them into a gripping read. And he didn’t make up dialogue or events. James Frey, you listening?

Junger’s new book, A Death in Belmont, is a chilling true-to-life tale that involves the Boston Strangler, Albert DeSalvo, who worked for his family as a handy man when he was a child. While DeSalvo worked for the Junger family, there was a rape and murder committed in their neighborhood for which a black man was convicted. Junger ponders the question: Who really killed Bessie Goldberg?

The book is getting excellent reviews and most likely will be made into a movie. It couldn’t happen to a hotter writer, er, I mean, better writer. *wink*

Labels: ,


2 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

You know i remember this guy from a National Geographic show. I didn't know then he was the author of The Perfect Storm!

Anyway, he was interviewing some Taliban soldiers when he got caught in an exchange of firing situation. That second pic where he's crouching behind a rock, that was it. Oh, you should have seen the wild look in his eyes! I love NG! LOL :P

4/22/2006 12:21:00 PM  

Blogger Serendipity said...

He has another book as well called Fire. I think it's a collection of his article previously published. Loved Perfect Storm. About the only non-romantic fiction I invested my time in. :)

4/23/2006 01:31:00 AM