Sunday, December 10, 2006

Becoming Boleyn

After our August BBC discussion of The Other Boleyn Girl, you guys would probably love to see this *g*:



This is the first production image released for the movie adaptation starring Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson and the very luscious Eric Bana. I have to say I had my doubts when I first found out who they’ve casted for the movie. Seriously, Eric as Henry VIII? Natalie as Anne? Oh, no no no NO! *groan* Don’t get me wrong; I think they’re both good actors, but they’re oh-so-wrong to play these characters. Eric, I just can’t see him as the very unsympathetic king. Natalie is too fucking beautiful and innocent looking to be convincingly vicious. Huh? Oh... Scarlett. Well, she’s too blech—can’t do anything about that. So, really, with Johansson in there butchering the scenes, surely it’s gonna be a disaster... :/

However, after seeing this pic, that expression in Natalie’s face, the set of her mouth, it captures the Anne I know from the book so much—manipulative, competitive, anxious, bitchy—I am suddenly verra, verra excited! LOL

I cannot wait to see it. Even if the script was supposedly drastically changed, WITH Philippa Gregory’s approval. Yep. Wonder what they’ve changed exactly. Hmmm...

P.S. Thanks, Marg, for the link!
P.P.S. For those of you who forgot/don’t know, PG has a new book out which is the latest installment in her Tudor series, The Boleyn Inheritance.


Related:

Labels: ,


18 comment(s):

Blogger CHIC-HANDSOME said...

life just good

12/10/2006 09:24:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, I've been of two minds about reading this book, but now I'm def. interested.

12/10/2006 11:54:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Natalie Portman could pull it off. She's great in V for Vendetta. Eric Bana doesn't do it for me but he is a good actor as well. Scarlett, she's not so bad, Harlot! ;P

Olly

12/10/2006 12:23:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Wow, Natalie looks like she's trying to brew a storm in that pic. I wonder which scene is that.

Isn't this the first book by Gregory that was adopted into a movie? I liked TOBG better than TQF. Looking forward to seeing it!

12/10/2006 02:08:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

BBs, I love the falling snow! Very cute! :D

12/10/2006 02:09:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Ohhhh, the snowflakes are pretty! :D

I can't imagine Eric Bana playing Henry VIII either. But in TOBG, he's describes as young and attractive. I think he'll be fine. Natalie and Scarlett too I reckon. :)

12/10/2006 03:29:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I just got The Boleyn Inheritance the other day. Although, I haven't started it yet. Heh.

I can't wait to see TOBG movie too. It looks good already!

12/10/2006 03:45:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

You're welcome!

12/10/2006 03:59:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Good pic. I agree that Natalie is too pretty to be Anne. Well, more attractive from what I imagined her to be. I think Scarlett is alright to play the meek sister Mary. All throughout of the book, she's mostly an observer anyway.

Who's to play Queen Katherine? Personally, I liked THE QUEEN'S FOOL better than TOBG and I think it's the best in the series. I have yet to read THE BOLEYN INHERITANCE, however.

12/10/2006 04:31:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

I have got to read this book. It feels like I'm the only one who has yet to read it...

12/10/2006 11:24:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Oh! Luuuuuve the snowflakes! I can't help but looking at them falling! LOL

12/10/2006 11:26:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read the book and really enjoyed it. Whenever there's a part that hinges to being boring, something happens that gets your attention back. I'm not into Natalie or Scarlett but the movie looks good already. Thanks for the image Harlot!

12/10/2006 11:31:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

I don't really hate Scarlett, nor am I enthusiastic about her...she doesn't ruin movies for me.

I like Natalie...so I hope this movie comes up better than I expected.

12/11/2006 02:00:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I read about Christina Aguillera being mad at Scarlett and Natalie. Apparently, the two crashed Aggy's party and took away the limelight away from her. LOL

I can't wait to see the movie too.

12/11/2006 02:10:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I can't wait for this movie. I've never read a PG book I didn't like and TOBG is definitely one of her best.

GWB, I agree about the necklace. Maybe she was about to put in on in that scene. LOL. It looks like she's getting ready there...

12/12/2006 12:02:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Okay, here's the list of the cast. No idea who the other actors are. LOL

If you guys are looking for more PG reads, you might want to try WIDEACRE. I truly enjoyed this book. Some people compare the heroine to Scarlett O'Hara (i lub her!), because both are too maddeningly self-absorbed and yet you can't help but be enchanted by them. But i think Beatrice Lacey is a bit different than Scarlett in a sense she is completely destructive, too greedy with too many schemes she terrifies me! LOL Fascinating read. :)

12/12/2006 12:38:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing when i saw NP's expression Harlot

vez xxx

12/12/2006 04:23:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Vez!!!

Glad to see you here. :D

12/12/2006 12:14:00 PM