Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Harlot's love affair

When I was a little hoyden, TV didn’t have any appeal yet. To Trollop’s unending amazement, I wasn’t even aware of old shows like the Mickey Mouse Club, or cartoons such as Candy Candy (seriously, and she thinks I’m the weird one!). And although I was already a flirt LOL, thoughts of whether I look pretty or not seems silly when all I could think of is how I’d out-swim a rotten fast swimmer friend. (I swim like a fish and he’d still beaten me! Bastard. Will never forgive him! *hmph*) So, what does a kid do without TV? Well, it’s either I was doodling (I don’t think my sketches then could be considered “drawings”), playing with the boys (you dirty pervs!—I really grew up with boys!), or I was stealing books from my grandfather’s library. :P

Ever since I could remember, I loved books. I don’t mean “reading is my hobby” kind of love; it’s more of an affaire d’amour with all the urgency and insanity that comes with it. I now have more than two thousand books, and it’s still steadily growing in number and variety. Uh-hmmm. The thing is, my love for books doesn’t start and end with reading them.

I usually get books from book sales (why, yes, I’m a cheap heathen). But personally, buying cheap books is not only practical, it’s a necessity as well. I mean, for someone who lives in a country where ordering book from Amazon would cost you, like, an orgasm (the injustice! *sniff*) and finding old titles is as sure as finding Britney Spears wearing knickers, it’s either I dive into a mountain pile of dusty books to look for possible finds or I won’t get the books I fucking want! I have to admit though, despite some complains, going to book sales is usually a fun activity for me. Well, just imagine how ecstatic I feel each time I come across a fantabulous find. It’s like foreplay, really. *wink* (Perfect example of this is when I discovered The Bronze Horseman, heh.)

Now, after the buying part, my favorite portion of this affair comes next: the collection part. I know of people who discard books all the time (*cough* Trollop *cough*). I never understand why-why-WHY any sane person would do that. I mean, he-llo? Haven’t they heard of rereading??? Y’all know how much I luuurve Outlander *shudder* and even that one I still have!!! Who knows I might wake up one day loony and confused and decided I can’t live without Fraser the Caresser of Waterweed? (Oh, god forbid!!!) Er, *gah!* *choke* anyway... *ahem*ahem* I guess I shouldn’t be too critical of these crazy freaks since most of my books came from the likes of them LOL. It’s just, if it’s me, I would rather die than part with my book collection because I consider it one of my life’s treasures.

I take pride that part of my bedroom resembles a library. :P I love looking at my wall seeing all that books arranged by author and by category. Of course I take care of my books, protecting them from dusts and creases (I LOATE creases! *grrr*). That’s why a borrower who doesn’t care whether he put a fold or *gasp* a fucking smudge *hurensohn!!!* on one of my lovelies would never see the light of my purrty bookshelf again. EVAH!

Okay, I’ve decided to show you guys what my priti purple floor to ceiling bookshelf looks like. *g* Each space in it caters two rows of books so double that bookshelf and that’s what I have exactly. Actually, there are more spaces full of books on the bottom but they didn’t show up in this image:



*Sigh* Isn’t it bee-yoo-ti-ful? :D

Oh. Yeah. Since my lovely bookshelf has no more space left, I had to put some books on the couch and on the floor:



What? Of course I’m not cheating and just took some books from the shelves and placed them on the floor and then took a pic!** Honestly... :/

Anyway, what about you, do you collect books as well? Or like evil woman Trollop, you discard books after you’re finished reading them? How do you arrange your books on your shelves/boxes? Oh, and by the way, what are you guys reading lately? *g*

**Excuse the stufftoys on the second pic. *blush* Tried to move the stack of books but they are too many so I had to take the pic with those on the background. Anyway, they were either given by old friends or won by my ex for me from stupid theme park game booths LOL.

Labels: ,


34 comment(s):

Blogger mailyn said...

I collect books as well! But I usually get special editions or collectors editions. I love collecting the classics since those are what I like most. Also I collect mostly Fantasy epics like LotR type stuff.

However, it has to be a book or books I love because if not there is no sense for me to dish out 50 or 60 dollars for a special edition if I don't even care for the book! LOL.

So yeah, I understand completely. I am obsessed with books as well. Mehehe.

Oh and welcome back guys! I was wondering where you guys went. LOL.

12/14/2006 01:57:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

OMG, Harlot, that's a lot of books!!!

I collect books too. Usually by my favorite authors and books that I know I will always reread. This is why I hate borrowing from the library.

I discard the books I don't like. I usually sell them on Ebay. That way I have more budget to spend on new books. :P

Oh and I'm reading Janet Evanovich's latest Plum book!

12/14/2006 02:20:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Uhmm, Harlot...you didn't go to the library and check out the whole paperback section, did you?

I collect books. I love books. I have similar shelves in my house growing up. It's not purple though. It was bright pink. It gives me headache, but I love that solid wall of books.

Of course, the minute I turned my back and got married, my friends and relatives took my collecion apart! The heathens!

I have to say, my books are not so well-organized. I'll take a picture of them someday, but it's all in a jumble.

I got help. My little boys love to carry stacks of books around the house. And just this morning, my prestine copy of Nerd Gone Wild is chewed through by my DS4.

This is what I have to go through. I had to give up my finicky nature because I love my babies...and they chew my books like puppies!

Sometimes, they even give me bookmark...and before you think "how sweet!"...I am not done.

The bookmark is a torn off page from my book. So there.

I am reading Nerd Gone Wild by Vicki Lewis Thompson, Lucky by Alice Sebold, Deadly Love by Brenda Joyce, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke, and some others I can't remember the title.

I want to get Pleasure for Pleasure because it would round up my Essex Sisters series.

12/14/2006 03:02:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Just curious, are you going to open a bookstore when the books outrun your room...or are you going to be like Simi who'll just build another room for your books?

It's really nicely arranged, your shelf. How do you know where is where?

Jeez...and here I thought I was anal with my books before! I have nothing on you!

12/14/2006 03:05:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Jesus, Harlot, are you sure that isn't a bookstore? LOL

I have to say I discard books after I read them. I mean, I rarely reread books so usually I end up passing them off to friends. Of course I still have a little collection, books I know I just have to have.

Currently loving Stephen King's LISEY'S STORY.

12/14/2006 03:14:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

"This is what I have to go through. I had to give up my finicky nature because I love my babies...and they chew my books like puppies!"

Shoshana! LOL!

You mentioned a lot of books. You read them all at the same time? My sister does that but I never could. It's confusing!

12/14/2006 03:17:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot, I collect books too! But my collection is not as big as yours... lol

You have a lovely bookshelf, and it's purple! My favorite color. :)

How do you know where is where? I think with all that books I'd be lost and would definitely find it hard to locate certain books!

Olly

12/14/2006 03:29:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I collect books like you do (I also can't stand breaking the spines or dog-earring the pages); although I don't think I have quite that many (yet). I'm getting better about pruning the ones I really, really do not like or probably won't ever read again, but I tend to keep everything. It's why I don't like using the library - I want to keep every book I read. I can't throw books out, and I re-read nearly every book that I at least like.

I will also collect multiple editions of the same book or series, if I like the covers - and then they have to match. It's terrible for the bank account and shelf/box/floor space.

Unfortunately (or maybe it's a good thing, as it's slowed down my book buying somewhat) I don't have bookshelves at the moment, so all my books are in boxes, which presents another set of problems: Namely, how to find the book that I want to read that's buried somewhere in a box.

When I did have shelves (before my mom kicked me out of my room after I went away to university. LOL.), once in a while, I'd reorganize everything by author, but it would inevitably slide toward chaos again within a few weeks. Plus I was running out of room on my 6 shelves.

12/14/2006 03:41:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep the books I think I would reread or want to give to someone to read because I think they would like it. My book shelves are so full I had to start stacking them else where as well. I find books at bargain and stock up.

Also, a large section, if not the majority, of my books are text or text type books. I have so many police, criminal law, sniper and tactical books it's insane but, I reference them daily.

I'm currently reading The Virgin's Lover by Phillippa Gregory and Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.

12/14/2006 03:45:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Harlot, what a a nice collection you have there!

It's now been four years since we moved to our new home and I still haven't remove my old books from the boxes. My new acquired books are usually stacked up on the floor or they end up in my husband's office! I need an intervention!

12/14/2006 04:04:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

GWB, how are you liking The Virgin's Lover?

12/14/2006 04:05:00 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

I re-read my collection of books like a maniac...and my poor books show it! :) Again, love your site!

12/14/2006 04:55:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! I have to hide most of my books cuz my parents would KILL me if they found out how much I spend on books - and I'm running out of room!! I LOVE your collection!!

12/14/2006 10:58:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use to keep everything I bought unless I really hated it. But just recently, I got a bookcase for my birthday (before that all my books were in boxes/totes), and I got to arrange all my books onto the shelves. During the process, I came to realize how many books I have just sitting around that I haven't read, and how many I have that I'll probably never read again. So I've decided from now on, I'm only going to keep what I plan to re-read. So only my favorites and books I really liked. The "meh" books gotta now. I just don't have the room for them. It's hard for me to let go of books 'cause like you, I love to just have them; books are a comfort to me. But there's no room, and I've decided I'd rather have a shelf full of favorites anyway, than just a shelf full of books. BTW, you can see pictures of my bookcase here.

And I just finished re-reading the first Harry Potter. Now I think I'm going to try reading Eragon--I want to go see the movie! :-D

12/14/2006 11:13:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Love your collection! I used to discard books but now I like looking at them growing on my shelves. LOL. I arrange books by authors and by format. All hardbounds are together, paperbacks in this corner, etc. :D

I just finished reading Ex-Girlfriends by Kylie Adams!

12/15/2006 01:32:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I collect books as well! I think it's one of the reasons why I love books, it's a good collection. LOL. C'mon, admit it, it's fun to look at them arranged in your shelves and just be amazed how many books you actually have. :)

I am currently reading Eloisa James' DUCHESS IN LOVE. Loving it!

12/15/2006 01:43:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Dance Chica, I want to see Eragon too!!!

12/15/2006 01:44:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, my books are basically arranged by author. But not only that, i arrange them by category. For instance:

- classics (like Austen, Alcott, Lawrence, etc)
- general fiction
- historical fiction
- archeology/history
- fantasy
- suspense
- chic lit
- fairy tale books, young adults (my old books :D)
- romance classics (McNaught, Garwood)
- historical romances/comedy (Barnett, Quinn)
- historical romances/drama (Foley, Kleypas)
- contemporary funnies (SEP, Cruise)
- contemporary dramas (Howard, Hannah)
- paranormals

The books on my shelves are also arranged by series, by year of when they were published, by type/format and sizes. This is why even if i close my eyes, ask me for a certain book and i'd know which corner to get it in there. ;P

The ones on the floor are also stacked up by author and by category. It's those books that are hard to get since i have to move a certain stack to get something. :/

12/15/2006 02:23:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Dance Chica,
You have a lovely bookcase! :D Oh and I want to see ERAGON too!!! Have to wait though since it won't be here till January. *grrr* I have yet to read the books. Are they good?


Anon,
When i was like 12, i used to hide my books because there was a time my mom was so mad at me she took all my books (i was at school at the time) and hid them! I know! *sniff* It's because i read instead of doing my homeworks. :/


Virginia,
Welcome! I too love HP so much i CANNOT WAIT for book 7. Hope you post often! :D


Dance,
Re: I also can't stand breaking the spines or dog-earring the pages

I hate those too! GRRR. You know the reason i started stacking up books is because of those ones i have to get from book sales, salvation army, etc, that even with their horrific states i still have to get them since it's either those or no copy at all!!!

When you stack up books the right way, leave them for like a week or two and they flatten books, straightened them and the spines look better. I specially hate those ones that are leaning so much to one side my teeth hurt--honestly, their former owners!

12/15/2006 02:41:00 AM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

OMG, Harlot, I love your collection! I don't have that many books like I used to as there's no room here on my current apartment. I keep all my books in boxes which is a total pain in the ass because it takes me forever to find a book I want!

I am reading a vampire book by Teresa Medeiros. She's a new author for me. I'm not sure yet if I like her or not.

12/15/2006 03:53:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That's amazing Harlot. :)

This makes me ashamed that I don't take care of my books. I don't even think of where I place them after I'm through reading. Yikes. lol

Just finished reading Morrigan's Cross by NR.

12/15/2006 04:25:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Re: The books on my shelves are also arranged by series, by year of when they were published, by type/format and sizes.

Good lord, Harlot, you arrange them by categories? LOL I hope you have space for "most hated piece of crap" so Outlander and the likes won't feel snubbed. :P Love your bookshelf!

12/15/2006 09:27:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

I hate spine breakers that disfigure a book! I mean, how much force should you exert on a book to make it look like it's been stamped on by a horse?

With that said, I'm not as up tight about arranging my books as you Harlot. LOL :P Though your collection looks very pretty indeed! As long as my books are aligned nicely I'm fine with it.

12/15/2006 09:42:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

I'm reading Liz Carlyle's Three Little Secrets. Does she have a new book coming out?

12/15/2006 09:43:00 AM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Harlot, what a great collection! I collect books as well, but I don't have as many as you have. I discard books I don't like and those I'm never going to read again. Usually I sell them or I end up giving some books to friends.

I am reading Angels by Keyes. Not liking it as much as Rachel's Holiday.

12/15/2006 10:10:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, your collection looks like mine! As an eighteenth birthday gift, I had my father install a rolling ladder for my shelves. So now i have four tubs in the basement of books and three wall units of shelves in my bedroom.

The best part is I have to stack up my books vertically on the shelves, not horizontally so I can get the best space out of them.

I have my romance novels stashed alphabetically by author and then my other books stashed by genre (poetry, nonfiction, fiction pre-1800's, fiction post 1800's, Modern fiction) and then by author in that genre.

People think that books are going to all be e-books now.
I think thats bullshit.

The collecting is sincerely the best part!
When I moved, the first thing Idid was look for a used book store. And half.com makes buying cheep books on the internet much easier!

Happy collecting!

12/15/2006 10:46:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

OMG, that's a lot of books. Harlot, you should consider opening a bookstore! ;P

I collect books too but I don't have any system about how I display or stack them up but I try to group them by author, and sometimes by color, teehee... I don't keep every book I purchase however. The only ones that end up on my bookshelf are those I know I will re-read. I just don't have the space to keep everything.

12/15/2006 11:31:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Milan Loka, I agree. E-books might be getting popular but nothing can replace good old paperback or hardbound.

12/15/2006 11:34:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot, LOL! Great post. I think you have a beautiful room. :)

I don't have that many books. I usually sell them after I'm finished reading, unless I don't feel like parting with it. I have a very few collection of keepers and I'd rather loose an arm than part with them. Good books are rare.

My bookshelf is arranged by author and by series. Most of them are romance and chic lit and some epic and classics.

I am currently reading Nora Robert's Valley of Silence. I got some new books too: Dear John by Nicholas Sparks, Pleasure for Pleasure by Eloisa James, Trouble in High Heels by Dodd, The End by Lemony Snicket.

12/15/2006 11:54:00 AM  

Blogger Rachel said...

Harlot, how long have you been collecting books? That's a lot of books!

I collect books too, but only those that I deem keepers. I arrange them by authors of course and group them if they're part of a series.

Now reading Spring Moon by Betty Lord.

12/15/2006 02:23:00 PM  

Blogger Maroo said...

Harlot, you're like that guy from High Fidelity - but with books.

I'm still a poor college student with no money to buy books, but I'm envious of your shelves and stacks. I have some shelves filled with books but mostly textbooks from past classes.

Currently reading Guns, Germs, and Steel by W.W. Norton. This was recommended to me by a teacher and I luckily found it in the library.

12/16/2006 04:22:00 AM  

Blogger Polly King said...

High Fidelity: loved the book and the movie. John Cusack is such a cutie!

12/16/2006 04:48:00 PM  

Blogger DesperateGrey said...

Hi there!

I love books as well, not just the reading, but also the keeping part. My dream is to have a proper library sometime.

However, I've moved around quite a lot, and anyone that has moved house 3 times in 5 years knows that there comes a time when you start questioning your love for books... Last time I counted about 50 boxes only for books. And when it's your boyfriend moving them around, well, let's just say love has it's limits...

So, after an ultimatum, I decided to sacrifice some of them and donated 2 cases to a small library. I also asked my mum for an "asylum" for 3 or 4 boxes with children's books (yes, I've managed to save plenty of those as well) I wanted to store until I have my own kids. It was hard to split from them, but I know they are in a much happier place ;).

So, now I'm down to about 400 books or so. I'm not very good at taking care of them but I do respect them and try to give them a decent home in one of my bookcases. For a while I used to organise them by languages (spanish, english, swedish) but in the end I never remember in which language I read the book. So now it's just by author.

Another thing. Have you ever found you've bought the same book twice? It's happened to me... SEVERAL times. And the worst thing is that I've done it buying through amazon!!!

And my last confession. I tend to obsess with authors. When I find one I like, I just go ahead and read everything I can get. Right now I'm working my way through Jennifer Cruisie that I discovered thanks to the BB's!

12/25/2006 04:08:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Desperate Grey,

I still have my children's books with me too! I have quite a collection of fairy tale books. :P

Have i bought the same book twice? Unintentionally? Yep, LOL. Usually when it's a reissue and of course sporting a new cover, because it doesn't matter how many i've already seen and have, i never forget a cover.

I admit, i obsess with authors too. LOL. I think it's hard to find an author which book really grips you. So whenever that happens, i try to buy all of what i can of them.

So glad you're loving Crusie! Have you read WELCOME TO TEMPTATION yet? How about BET ME? I think everyone who loves a good romance should never be without Crusie. She is, without a doubt, a romance diva. One of THE best authors around IMO.

P.S. Um, do you like historical fiction? Have you read Paullina Simons's THE BRONZE HORSEMAN? :P

12/26/2006 02:23:00 PM