Saturday, August 4, 2007

Best books of 2007... so far

With all my flaws and harloty faults, I told you guys I also have the tendency to obsess about stuff. Why, I even obsess about making book lists. I know... I actually got excited when I saw Amazon has finally posted their Best Books of the Year... So Far list. *blush* (What is wrong with me? :/ Trollop, don’t answer that! *grrr*) (In my defense, my freakishness has yet to escalate to the point of actually buying each and every book on that list! *hmph*)

Er, *ahem* anyhoodles, this year, Amazon organized their picks into four lists: 10 books each from the first six months of 2007, presented only in alphabetical order by author (no ranking as that’s save for the end of the year). So in case you heathens are wondering why the hell Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows isn’t there, remember it’s a July release—and that’s not included in the first six months, isn’t it? :P

Fiction
  • The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño
  • The Yiddish Policemen’s Union by Michael Chabon
  • Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra
  • Falling Man by Don DeLillo
  • Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris
  • In the Woods by Tana French
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
  • No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July
  • The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle
  • The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears by Dinaw Mengestu
Non-Fiction
  • A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
  • Stealing Lincoln’s Body by Thomas J. Craughwell
  • The Last Mughal by William Dalrymple
  • Supreme Conflict by Jan Crawford Greenburg
  • How Doctors Think by Jerome Groopman
  • God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
  • Crashing Through by Robert Kurson
  • Send by David Shipley and Will Schwalbe
  • The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Children and Teens
  • Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George
  • The Secret Life of Walter Kitty by Barbara Jean Hicks and Dan Santat
  • The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden
  • The Incredible Book Eating Boy by Oliver Jeffers
  • Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks
  • Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
  • 17 Things I’m Not Allowed to Do Anymore by Jenny Offill and Nancy Carpenter
  • Not a Box by Antoinette Portis
  • The Alchemyst by Michael Scott
  • The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
Hidden Gems
  • Call Me by Your Name by André Aciman
  • Robert Moses and the Modern City by Hilary Ballon and Kenneth T. Jackson
  • Cat Getting Out of a Bag by Jeffrey Brown
  • Getting Unstuck by Timothy Butler
  • Patterns of the Earth by Bernhard Edmaier
  • The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
  • Brasyl by Ian McDonald
  • Pork & Sons by Stéphane Reynaud
  • The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
  • Devices of the Soul by Steve Talbott

Labels:


13 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

Am i the only one who feels ashamed i haven't read ANY of these books? Oh the shame, the shame...

I have a copy of A Thousand Splendid Suns on my TBR pile though. Does that count? :S

8/04/2007 10:27:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

I don't think that does count Harlot!!! < g > A Thousand Splendid Suns is the only one of those books that I have read! It's a powerful book.

8/04/2007 04:26:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

What is their criteria for best? I haven't read any of those either.

Although I did just read a book last night that I thought was made of awesome: Jennifer Echols' The Boys Next Door. (YA Romance, I guess)

It was hilarious pretty much the whole way through, without making light of the more serious topics.

Her first book Major Crush is wonderful, too. I think I may have found another auto-buy.

8/04/2007 05:49:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Oh my goodness, I haven't read any of these books. I haven't even heard of most of them. Yes, I'm with Dance - what is their criteria?

8/04/2007 06:17:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot adn lollie rose, I'm feeling the same way at the moment :/
Haven't read any :(

8/04/2007 06:19:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot and lollie rose, I haven't read any either..
Maybe I should start reading from a wider genre :/

8/04/2007 06:20:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I have not read any of those either.

Dance, I love Jennifer Echols! I loved Major Crush but I haven't read The Boy Next Door.

8/04/2007 07:08:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Criteria? Um, no idea. :/ In any case, GOOD--i'm not the only one who haven't read any of these. :P

It was hilarious pretty much the whole way through, without making light of the more serious topics.

Someone recommended Jennifer Echols the last time we talked about YA, can't remember who. Anyway, i looked it up and thought the book sounds good but can't find a copy anywhere! :( Damn bookstores.

8/04/2007 07:31:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Someone recommended Jennifer Echols the last time we talked about YA, can't remember who.

That might have been me that time too. :D

Your bookstores don't carry her books? For shame!

I went to the bookstore the other day to look for Megan McCafferty's books, but couldn't find them (which I thought was unusual, as I thought they were fairly popular). Might have to go check another bookstore.

8/05/2007 12:22:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't read any and none in my TBR. I mean, how are we suppose to know which books to read???

8/05/2007 01:24:00 AM  

Blogger Aradia said...

Whaaaaaaaaaat?! I've read more than a hundred new books in past five months (here is the proof: http://aradiaweblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/i-had-sometime-to-kill-so-i-checked.html) and none of them were in this list! Is something wrong with me or is it the list?!

8/05/2007 02:41:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

It must be the list! I've read over 100 as well and only one of them is on the list!

8/06/2007 03:42:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never read any of these books, or heard of them for that matter and I get a monthly subscription to a magazine that tells of new releases of the month.

Plus I read 2-3 books a week and I listen to books on CD in my car.

WTF? These authors paid off Amazon. I smell conspiracy!

GWB

8/07/2007 07:50:00 PM