Friday, August 10, 2007

When crime fiction imitates life

Good god. I know writers must research their stuff before writing but, er, please don’t take it oh-so-thoroughly by heart to the point of murder!

The Guardian reveals Polish writer Krystian Bala is on trial for murder after writing a crime novel called Amok in which he closely detailed the facts of a real-life killing.

Hmmm, I suppose it doesn’t help that the victim was a friend of the author’s ex-wife... But is Mr. Bala really the murderer?

I’ve often wondered about this, how much of the artist’s personal life he’s put into his book, painting, sculpture, poem, cake icing... Or is it really life that imitates the art? Then again if life were to be considered an art form, should we not produce the best art/life possible to the best of our ability?

Labels:


5 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

Someone told me that his favorite book is American Psycho and lent me his copy. I remember reading it and wondering if i were going to let him back in my house. :/

8/10/2007 09:51:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Yikes. Poor fellow. I think it's mostly art that imitates life. I think artists usually put their life experiences to whatever they are working on.

Though, you have to wonder. They say that TV shows like CSI has changed criminals. They actually learned more tricks to destroy evidence. Juries too expect more than a flimsy evidence before thinking of saying "guilty".

8/10/2007 11:08:00 AM  

Blogger Aradia said...

Loved the whole “If art imitates life shouldn’t we all produce the best art/life in our power” concept. At least we should try to live our lives in a way that when we look back at it in 20-30 years we won’t have any regrets.
But to kill someone to write a book?! I don’t recommend it! :-D it's too Hunibal Lecter for my taste!

8/10/2007 02:02:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I haven't heard of this author. Is his book good? Ok maybe I shouldn't have asked that. Shutting up now...

8/10/2007 05:27:00 PM  

Blogger Mailyn said...

Cake icing?! LOL! :-P

8/10/2007 05:49:00 PM