Sunday, August 5, 2007

Sunday vegetables

Vivian: Let’s watch old movies all night... We’ll just veg out in front of the TV.
Edward: Veg out?
Vivian: Yeah. Be still like vegetables. Lay like broccoli.
- Julia Roberts and Richard Gere in Pretty Woman


So, it’s Sunday, my favorite day to veg out at home. Didn’t get to do much of this in Madrid—seeing as I lived in a dorm—but here in Barcelona, with my brother and best friend, our favorite pass time is vegging out. *g*

We woke up at noon today after not sleeping for 48 hours. You see, Friday night we went to dinner at some friends’ house—friends that own two original Picasso’s BTW**—and we were having such a good time, dinner ended with breakfast; we left at 10:00 a.m.! (Wonder if we’ll ever be invited again LOL.) We started the morning(?) having toast and marmalade while watching Pretty Woman. Now, I’m eating Nutella and blogging as Romy and Erika get their Formula One fix. We’ll be making lunch soon and I, if I had money that is, would bet anything that we’ll be spending the rest of the day in our pj’s watching TV and eating.

I was wondering if vegging out was different for everyone. I know of people that spend their Sundays tidying up, doing laundry and watching a movie or the news. Some order pizza or Chinese (yuck!) and play board games; others just talk on the phone or chat with friends online. Harlot, for example, harrasses me to no end about, oh, well, just about anything that her over active mind comes up with usually acompanied by an avocado shake. *cringe*

What about you guys, how do you veg out? Does it include not showering and wearing pj’s all day while you do house chores and listen to music? Do you cook or order in, or are you the type that eats tons of junk food in bed as you read a good book?

**Couldn’t close my mouth the whole night. My mind would not stop repeating, “Oh my god, I cannot believe I know people who own their very own vineyard and have two fucking Picasso’s.”
***Sorry, again I used our TBB account. Too lazy to change it now...

Labels: ,


21 comment(s):

Blogger Menchie said...

I fondly recall reading till dawn then getting up at noon, staying in my pjs until it was time to go to church.

I say fondly because now that I have kids, I get woken up at 7am on weekends, help with homework and school projects, and prepare stuff for the week. Those were the good old days.

8/05/2007 09:53:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

So, when are we going to steal those Picasso's? Told you babe, plan it already! Me. Wants. Those. Painting. We could wear black tights outfits with spy night-vision goggles, whatcha think?

I resent the insinuation i harass you! *hmph* And avocado shakes are goody good good for you! :@

My official veg out day isn't Sunday but Saturday. Sunday is dinner out with my family. Now Saturday, well, no cooking as that would alarm the whole house but i usually watch DVDs and just binge on chocolates or have avocado shake if we have them.

8/05/2007 11:03:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Can i just say, i looooove Pretty Woman. *sigh*

8/05/2007 11:04:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I just have to ask......Being (North) American, what goes into an avocado shake? I have been toying with making avocado ice cream and would love some inspiration.
And we feel too guilty about all the daylight to veg out in the summer since it gets dark here between4 and 5pm in the winter. But, in the winter there is nothing better than the whole fam in sweats watching movies all day and having a big pot of stew cooking. Hubby and I start the day with a bit of Baily's in our coffee and if we feel energetic we might do a bit of laundry, but don't count on it. I was made for days like that.

8/05/2007 02:23:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Avocado shake? Harlot, that was weird :P

Trollop, I love Pretty Woman. Now, the boyfriend and I usually start our Sundays late. I'll make breakfast, he cleans the car. We spend the day watching TV, or me reading and he watching TV. Sometimes we go out to the beach with the dogs and we just lie on a hammock, drink beers and do nothing :)

8/05/2007 03:31:00 PM  

Blogger Duvy said...

Mmm, vegging out is so my favorite past time. Since I'm still in school and have work, my veg out time generally falls on the weekend. When I'm with the BF he generally decides that 10am is sleeping in -- *scoffs* -- and wakes me up around then. But, when I've got the whole day to myself, which isn't usual, my vegging out begins the night before.

I'll stay up till 3 or 4 playing video games and munching on fruit, or I'll stay up watching my favorite tv shows (woo, Xena!) while knitting. Then, when I'm just too bleary eyed to do anything else, I pass out and wake up only to fins it's probably around 2 pm the next day. (I should probably mention I just did that last night, which is why it's 2 pm here and I've just now woken up)

Sometimes I'll opt to just spend the rest of the day at the apt being continuously lazy. Other times I'll put on some comfy clothes and just go walking with my ipod. I do a lot of fiction writing so the music helps me get new ideas, so by the time I'm home I'll spend the rest of the day writing.

It's vacation time for me still right now, so technically everyday is veg out day for me. I am slightly dreading restarting on Aug 27. :S

8/05/2007 04:57:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Mmm... Avocado shakes are yummy. And so is avocado ice cream (I forget the brand that makes them).

I "veg out" on blueberries, when they're on season. I love blueberries, especially when they're frozen. Which reminds me that I need to buy some more; I'm running low. :D

And I read and surf the web and sometimes watch TV. I miss my dead space show.

Summer school starts again tomorrow. Sigh.

8/05/2007 08:35:00 PM  

Blogger Aradia said...

My Sunday routine depends on the day before. If I had an active Saturday, had friends over for dinner, went out, picnicked, run errands,…; Sunday is for being a total vegetable, web-surfing, eating leftovers or going out for brunch, reading, having chocolate and herbal tea, napping in the afternoon, playing with my cats, all the lazy things you can think of. But if I had a lazy Saturday, then Sunday is pay back time and I have to do chores *pout*.
Avocado shakes? I thought the only respectable use for avocado was in turkey sandwiches and in guacamole! (Face masks are not respectable! LOL)

8/05/2007 08:39:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

I love vegging out in my favorite spot with books and more books, sorrounded by my kids, but only if they have book in their hands too.

They're very smart kids. When I am sitting with my books, they grab theirs and cuddle next to me reading their books.

I love pretty woman! I adore ordering in. There's this service which runs around for you to get your order from variuos restaurants, even ones which do not deliver. On days I don't feel like cooking, we splurge and do that.

On junk days, they're always McD. Those rubbery nuggets does grow on you!

8/06/2007 02:09:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I love vegging out. It usually involves myself reading without caring about the time, surfing the web, or watching TV for hours.

Trollop, don't you like Chinese food? It's yummy. I like Chinese. :P

Never heard of avocado shake. LOL

8/06/2007 03:15:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love avocado juice. With a pinch of coffee, and milk and sugar.

I *hate* Pretty Woman. Not the movie itself, but the message in it. What was it about? The you can be a prostitute and have a handsome millionaire fall in love with you and pull you out of the hole you're in? Ok I'm the pot calling the kettle.. God knows I have read and loved romance with more ridiculous plot and settings :/

Babz vegging out: lots and lots of dark chocolates and Scrubs playing on tv.

8/06/2007 06:44:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite way to veg out is to lay around my house in my underwear feasting on left over Pizza Hut reading and watching old reruns of the Golden Girls. But, in todays world...who really has time to do only that?

8/06/2007 04:22:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I "veg out" on books and a lot of muffins. Is it odd that I find it extremely pleasurable to bake muffins? If the boyfriend joins me, he will lounge on the couch all day playing play station and then I'll join him and we'll stay up all night watching tv!

8/06/2007 08:17:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I CANNOT believe some of you have yet to try ze delights of the avocado shake! This is an outrage! Seriously, it's fucking good! Any possibility i could have one (sadly, avocados are seasonal here *sniff*), i always make sure i get this HUUUUGE serving of it. Uh-hmm. Verra, verra YUMMY.


Babz,
Why not? Vivian is a great woman! I prefer her than rich girls like Paris Hilton. Vivian's a hooker but even she deserves a happy ending, right?


Dance,
I love blueberries. Particularly on cheesecake. :D


Duvy,
Everyday is a veg out day for you? This should be illegal, you you you... lucky veggie! :@

8/06/2007 09:00:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

For Karamia and the others, here's a recipe of avocado shake. DO NOT LISTEN TO TROLLOP-WHO-MAKES-HER-OWN-GRANOLABARS-AS-NOTHING-IS-GOOD-ENOUGH.

One medium avocado
8 large ice cubes
3 tablespoons condensed milk
1/3 cup milk

Place all ingredients into a blender and whizz until the ice cubes are crushed and the drink is thick and frothy. Pour into a tall glass with a straw, or savour and share it in a series of shots.

It may sound bizarre to others but trust me, it's freaking GREAT (especially if you like avocados). You should try it, ladies. ;)

8/06/2007 09:03:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Even if you are busy, find time to veg out once in a while. Not to cook, not to answer any phone calls, not to do anything for the day and just lie on the couch or bed with your special someone. If he gets up to fix you a coffee, ahhhh much better.

I always find this very soothing. Like guilty pleasures, simple joys in life - they are the BEST.

8/06/2007 09:39:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, well if you put it that way.. I already said I'm the pot calling the kettle ;)

8/06/2007 11:14:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

The only one I know who shakes avocados is Harlot :P I like guacamole.

I veg out by lazying around the house reading or watching TV.

8/07/2007 12:09:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I don't "love" Pretty Woman. Not that I hate it but I don't think it's THAT good. Though, I guess, it's like a romance novel: a prince rescuing a princess, or in Vivian's case the courtesan.

I veg out all the time! That is, whenever life allows it. Reading till dawn, eating junk food, ordering in, and definitely NO doing the laundry.

8/07/2007 01:06:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like everyone else here, I adore vegging out. My idea of a good veg out is to do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it. After I moved out of my parents' house, this has become so much easier, though I must admit that I went a little overboard with it at first. I have, however, adjusted more to student life, and the responsibilities that comes with that, so now I usually save my vegging out for weekends.

Ideally, I would have eaten lots of junk during weekends, but I gave up both candy and pop a while ago, because I found it easier to quit cold turkey than to limit my intake. So now, vegging out doesn't involve edible goodies, at least not until December, which is when my self inflicted candy/pop ban lifts (December is my favorite time of year *grin* Christmas is awesome!).

My favorite things to do while vegging out are your average geeky pasttimes: I watch too many DVDs. I am especially addicted to watching TV shows, because then you get the whole story without those pesky cliffhangers that they're so fond of making. Of course, the biggest and most annoying cliffhanger is usually at the end of the last episode, but I digress...

I also read a lot. During veg outs, I prefer light, fluffy reads that can make me laugh. I do read intellectual books as well, but sometimes you just want to take a break from thinking, you know?

Lastly, the internet is my best friend during veg outs. Sometimes I will just surf around different sites, and be happy with that, but most of the time, I design free website templates for people to download. Yes, for fun. Haha, I'm such a geek!

8/08/2007 03:21:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Dreamer, i lurve Xmas! Xmas is awesome! LOL Well, at least for me, Trollop hates it--she's a weirdo really..

How could anyone do a candy/pop ban? Really, i'm asking. I have no self control apparently. :S

Vegging out now, and actually having avocado ice candy LOL. Well, sometimes my sister will shake tons of avocados and there are no room at the fridge so she freezes the rest.

8/12/2007 12:24:00 PM