Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My "to be read" list

I’ve made the resolution to take a break from reading romance novels until May. My decision is based on a couple of things:
  • Besides school books, about 80% of my reads last year were romance.
  • Out of that 80%, I would honestly say 60% were really bad, 20% were passably decent, 5% were good enough to recommend and another 5% might have made my shelf.
  • I need to get my butt 100% in the campaign. I need to think politics, practice politics, breathe politics and dream politics; my life, from now until May, has to be nothing but politics. Romance has always been a welcomed distraction, hence, I should stay away from it and anything else that distracts me. *wink*
  • The first genre I fell in love with was historical fiction. I’ve been neglecting it the last couple of years and want to catch up on all the wonderful titles I’ve missed out on.
I’ve spend the last week or so compiling my reading list for the next two months, and so far, this is what I have in my TBR list. You’ll see that for every three “political” books I’m rewarding myself with a historical fiction one and I’m going to do my very best to read them in this order.
  • My Life by Bill Clinton
  • Winning Elections: Political Campaign Management, Strategy and Tactics by Ronald A. Faucheux
  • The Campaign Manager: Running and Winning Local Elections by Catherine M. Shaw
  • I, Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis
  • Living History by Hillary Rodham Clinton
  • The Spiral of Silence: Public Opinion, Our Social Skin by Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann
  • Readings in Latin American Politics: Challenges to Democratization by Peter Kingston
  • Katherine by Anya Seton
Political books are slow reads hence the four books per month I’ve estimated.

I’ve already Started My Life. I’ve been in love with Bill Clinton from the time I was twelve years old so I put him first. I’ve been loving going to bed with him. *wink*

Anyone want to join me in some of these reads? If not, what’s in your TBR?

Labels: ,


10 comment(s):

Blogger Kimberly Anne said...

The Spiral of Silence sounds really interesting, so I think I'll join you in reading that.

For myself, I'm thinking about starting with Gina Kolata's Flu. The 1918 Flu Pandemic totally fascinates me, and I don't know why. And I've been craving books about the psychology of fairy tales lately. Kind of a weird pairing, but certainly fun.

2/06/2008 11:01:00 AM  

Blogger Shoshana said...

I have actually started reading It Takes a Village with Hillary Clinton. I might not like that he forgave Bill for sleeping around, but I think she has good ideas in her book.

Tons of romance...but have no coherent list.

2/06/2008 11:07:00 AM  

Blogger Tara Dean said...

The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream by Barack Obama

Is quite good. My boyfriend read it and said that because of that book he began supporting him.

2/06/2008 12:47:00 PM  

Blogger Terri said...

You did read Dakota's book before you gave up the romance RIGHT? If not I might just have to track you down and send you one of her author copies.

oh and lots of prayers for Harlot's Mom !

2/06/2008 01:25:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I liked Seyton's Katherine, but I think I will not be reading political books any time soon. Might pop in a West Wing DVD, though. ;)

2/06/2008 02:35:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made the exact same resolution. Except I have to read all kinds of literary fiction. Starting with the classics and working my way forward chronologically. Can't read anymore romance novels. They're messing with my mind and my time =S
I'm reading The Catcher in the Rye atm then I'm moving on to Vanity Fair. I've got a long list waiting for me...

2/06/2008 04:08:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Kimberly,

My political communication teacher rec'd it to me last year. He said its very good. I'd love it if we could discuss it :)

Shosh,

Just added It Takes a Vilage to my TBR it sounds amazing!

Same for The Audacity of Hope, Tara.

Thank you so much for the recs guys!

Dance, I've been dying to read this book. Harlot says she loved it.

Terri,

I promise to take one of the next few weekends and break my vow to read DC's new book *g* I know it can be nothing short of fabulous and something like that is worth breaking a few resolutions for.

Gabrielle, I think I've pretty much read most of the classics that interested me. I've been a book worm since I was 6 so a lot of the "best" ones are in the bag already. If you find something you love though, please let me know :) I'd love to go back to my roots LOL

2/06/2008 06:22:00 PM  

Blogger Terri said...

Trollop you will LOVE it and book 2 is EVEN better.

2/06/2008 09:52:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Aw, come on Terri, it's just plain mean to taunt and tease me like that!!!

2/06/2008 10:04:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Loved KATHERINE. I saw they rereleased it with a preface by Philippa Gregory. Historical fiction is my first love. Also highly recommended: HERE BE DRAGONS by Sharon Kay Penman.

2/07/2008 10:00:00 AM