Monday, February 4, 2008

A little more about me

Last year a very good friend told me I didn’t know how to accept compliments from others. Then, pointed out how easy it seems for me to let everybody know about my flaws and to make fun of myself, but very hard to tell people about my achievements and accomplishments.

I’ve been thinking about this lately. Anytime someone says something nice about me I’ll reply with a “funny” negative comment about myself. I have much to be proud of and yet I never point those things out when talking to others; I just concentrate on the things I have to work on. Why is this, I wonder? Why is it so uncomfortable for me to feel good about the things I’ve done and accomplished, and yet, so at ease at making fun of myself?

It’s time I changed this. I think it holds me back both personally and professionally and the truth is I have a lot to be damn proud of. Though it embarrasses me to no end, I’m going to list some of my feats here and do my very best not to cringe every time I see this post. Actually, I will print it, read it many times and remember it whenever someone compliments me.
  • I am beautiful and not as fat as I think (gad, that was hard LOL).
  • I speak three fluent languages which were damn difficult to learn.
  • I graduated from law school a couple of months shy of my 23rd birthday.
  • I have a masters in economics which I finished with a nice solid B—and I’m probably the worst person with numbers this side of the Atlantic.
  • I’m a FIIAPP scholar and beat over 300 fellow countrymen for a spot in a very coveted masters in Spain. Every year they choose the best representative out of all the Spanish speaking countries (plus Brazil) in Latin America to study Applied Political Science. There are only 30 spots and over 3,000 applications make the “review” cut.
  • I have met, talked and interviewed a great number of political figures from around the world including: Fidel Castro, Evo Morales (prez, Bolivia), Herick Campos (congressman, Spain), Vicente Fox (ex prez, Mexico), Bill Clinton (ex prez, USA), Hillary Clinton (senator, USA), Martin Torrijos (prez, Panamá), José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero (prez, Spain) and many others.
  • My law school thesis on “International Child Abductions” is being considered to be published as part of a book.
  • With great difficulty I can put both my legs behind my head LOL.
Okay, that’s it for now.

Feel free to make this a show-off-your-achievements post. God knows I’ve showed off enough. *cringe*

Note: Yikes, the hardest part wasn’t writing this as I first thought but clicking publish!!!


Related:

Labels:


26 comment(s):

Blogger Terri said...

WOW .. Good for you woman.

2/04/2008 12:50:00 PM  

Blogger Sarah McCarty said...

*Standing up and wildly applauding!*

You should definitely take a bow or two or three!

Very proud of you. You've worked very hard and you should allow yourself to feel the same pride.

2/04/2008 12:51:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow, that's impressive. I am seriously in awe. It goes so far as to make me feel woefully inadequate! My list is pretty small:

*I went to undergrad for free as a National Merit scholar, and good thing because I'm paying out the ass (in student loans) for...

*Vet school! It's harder to get into than Med school these days. I think I was the only person who was convinced I wouldn't get in, but then I did so *whew*.

Until I'm done with that two years from now and then either go into practice or go after a specialty, that is pretty much my life. That, and the occasional book for fun. And my boyfriend and pets. And family. You get the idea.

While we're on the subject, I think we are our own worst critics. The whole getting into vet school thing is a perfect example. After my interviews I was trying to figure out what to do because I was sure I wouldn't get in, and when I made it into two schools *other* people wondered why I was surprised. I was shocked. We definitely need to be more proud of our accomplishments. Good post. :)

2/04/2008 01:26:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

You forgot FL Peggy and her hubby! And that vice president who gave you your diploma and meeting Nigerian prez and his wife i think. And those political people from Brussels. Oh, and Andy Garcia. Not prez but worth mentioning as he's hot. And here's some i can think of right now:

- "I can cook anything--even weird ass foods (can't bake though bwahaha)--and make my own granola bars."
- "I'm a crazy cow but a verra good daughter."
- "Never strangled Harlot (a feat)."
- "Survived Cibeles riot and the Wedding War last year.. amongst other things."

2/04/2008 01:46:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Awww now I'm blushing LOL I will not make a joke about your compliments I will just say thank you (see? I'm learning!).

Carrie, anyone that loves animals enough to study years to take care of them deserves a standing ovation in my opinion.

Re: After my interviews I was trying to figure out what to do because I was sure I wouldn't get in, and when I made it into two schools

Same here whenever I apply to anything (job/school/contest in cereal box). Harlot has to hear to all my whining and complaining on how I fucked it up and now there's no way I'll get it, which most of the time it really is true (applying to an internship in the EU parliament now and my essays suck, for example!).

I wonder if its as hard for others to be proud of their accomplishments? I think people hate "braggers" and we fear rejection?

Harlot, YOU KNOW I HAVE DONE MY BEST TO BAKE. It's just, ovens hate me :(


Re: You forgot FL Peggy and her hubby! And that vice president who gave you your diploma and meeting Nigerian prez and his wife i think. And those political people from Brussels. Oh, and Andy Garcia.

Yep, met those too but ask any of them if they have the slightest idea of who I am and a blank stare will come to their faces LOL Except maybe for Andy Garcia, he might remember me as the nut that waited in his hotel room naked and begged him to autograph my ass LOL

I forgot to say in my post I am the proud "owner" of some of the best friends in the world (yes, hard as it may seem for you guys to believe, Harlot is included in that list. She's not all bad!).

2/04/2008 02:01:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done you! I think you are right ... we do not want to seem to be bragging. And really listing accomplishments isn't doing that ... we have to do it in our CV's when applying for jobs, etc and one of lifes things is we have to learn to "sell ourselves" to prospective employers. So, we all need lessons in getting good self esteem going and learning to be proud of what we have done and hope to do.
Good post.

2/04/2008 02:27:00 PM  

Blogger M.Amanda said...

That is a really cool list. Mine could never come close to it. I think you should also add "witty, funny blog personality" to the list. You and Harlot are two of the warmest, friendliest bloggers I've read.

I also come out of situations where people are judging me feeling like I've screwed up, but it always turns out fine. I figure I'd rather get a pleasant surprise than feel like an ass when I realize I'd been overconfident.

2/04/2008 02:41:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trollop! How could you have such an amazing list of accomplishments and not share them! and yes, I think you both (Harlot, too) should add funny, witty blog personality!
I agree that women often are their own worst critic. It's something we can all work on. I think women have a need to relate to each other, and we don't want to be seen as "one upping" each other. and we don't want to be seen as a bragger, so we keep our accomplishments to ourselves. But that is a pretty amamzing list! Stand up and be proud about it!

2/04/2008 03:11:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Wow. What outstanding achievements. Trollop, you should be very proud. :)

2/04/2008 04:27:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing list Trollop! Good post.

2/04/2008 05:14:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is it that when we look at ourselves we only see the flaws?

Trollop, that's quite a list. Be very proud. You're very young yet what great accomplishments you have.

2/04/2008 05:23:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just KNEW all that stuff you were doing was far more important and impressive than you let on. You really do rock. I knew it!

Seriously, you're one awesome chick and a great roll model for other women out there!

ALE

2/04/2008 10:27:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Guys, thank you so much for your nice words/well wishes :)

I'm trying not to be too embarrassed here LOL

I know some people will take it the wrong way and see it as bragging or showing off, but I hae to learn not to worry about that *wink*

Now, how is that no one is impressed that I can put both my legs behind my head?!?!?!

2/05/2008 08:40:00 AM  

Blogger Sarah McCarty said...

*Now, how is that no one is impressed that I can put both my legs behind my head?!?!?!*

Well, because a) we've always suspected you of those kind of talents and b) it seems something the men would be more enthused about. *G*

I had to think about this yesterday, and think the only thing I've ever done that I consider brag worthy is that I have always enjoyed the hell out of my life. I can't think back on a single time where I've bemoaned my existence. It's been one long, exciting (to me anyway) adventure. I've done everything I've wanted to and accomplished every thing I've set my mind to.

So, that's my brag. It's all I've got, but I'm proud of it, fwiw. *wry grin*

2/05/2008 10:42:00 AM  

Blogger Nicu said...

You forgot being the best blogger across the nation and write great bitchy stuff here together with... what was her name?... aha, Harlot, ofcourse! (love you too Harlot!)

But I guess everybody would love you even without these outstanding feats and acomplishments! :)

Zapatero called and said he's only the humble prime minister and Spain has no prez. at all. He added that Spain is a monarchy and even has a king. Juan Carlos. :))

2/05/2008 02:10:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I bow to your amazing-ness oh Vicious Trollop. :-)

2/05/2008 06:59:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Nicu, thanks! I do love blogging a lot. I'm actually going to start a political blog but in Spanish though will have posts in english from time to time.

Actually, Zapatero is el Presidente del Gobierno Espanol. That's his official title (though they have a monarchy, go figure LOL).

Here's a bit from Wikipedia that might interest you:


The Spanish head of government is known, in Spanish, as the Presidente del Gobierno. Literally translated, this title is "President of the Government" or alternatively "Chairman of the Government", but nevertheless the office-holder is commonly referred to in English as the "prime minister": the usual term for the head of government in a constitutional monarchy. However the Spanish for 'prime minister' is primer ministro; thus, for example, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom is the Primer Ministro del Reino Unido, not the Presidente del Gobierno.

In Spain the President of the Government is often called simply Presidente, meaning 'President'. More than once this has caused embarrassing errors among foreign authorities, such as mistaking Spain for a republic. For example Jeb Bush, the Governor of Florida, mistakenly referred to the head of government as the "President of the Spanish Republic" during a visit to Spain in 2003 [1].

The custom to name the head of government as "President" dates back from the reign of Isabella II of Spain, when the Prime Minister was called Presidente del Consejo de Ministros ("President of the Cabinet"). Before 1833 the figure was known as Secretario de Estado ("Secretary of State"), a denomination used today for junior ministers.

2/05/2008 07:00:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

RE: I've ever done that I consider brag worthy is that I have always enjoyed the hell out of my life.

DING! DONG! We have a winner!!!

Half the people in the world should be so happy as to boast of half that.

2/05/2008 07:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking about this post last night and besides being a good sister and a good daughter, I couldn't think of anything I should be proud of... :(

2/05/2008 07:58:00 PM  

Blogger Nicu said...

Hey again Trollop! Although I can say I'm old enough to be your father, it's never too late to learn. And, when the professoressa is a fine young lady like you are, learning couldn't be more pleasurable and fulfilling! :)) Thanks!

OK, go and blog Spanish but don't even think about leaving behind TBB, Harlot and me, your faithful reader who doesn't speak Spanish! :)

2/06/2008 02:19:00 AM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

You are soooo totally fabulousness it makes my teeth hurt. Not to mention you're way too damned cute--and young--there's that young thing, too. LOL

Good on you, babe!

DC:)

2/06/2008 04:06:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

You rock Trollop! I am way impressed. My accomplishments look puny compare to yours.

Let us know when you finally meet Obama. ;)

2/06/2008 06:54:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you. It's wonderful when a woman can see past what might be flaws to all the things that make them beautiful.

This was such an inspirational post.

Renee

2/06/2008 11:29:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,
I seriously doubt that the only things you could boast about are being a good sister and daughter, though in my family those would be amazing feats of grace.

I was also thinking, and my list would include being a fabulous cook and one hell of a wife :)
and Sarah- You DO have something to be proud of there. Enjoying life and everything about it is amazing! Not to mention that you are a published author of books that are hard to put down!

2/07/2008 04:43:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I think you are wonderful and it is such a joy to come here and see what you two are up to.
I always leave with a smile on my face.

Angela Low

2/09/2008 11:41:00 AM  

Blogger Stacia said...

Okay, I'll try...

*I am a great cook. Really. Although pastries and anything that needs yeast continues to evade me, I can work wonders with most foods.

*I'm a pretty good friend, I think. I'm a good listener and I give good advice.

*I would gladly kill anyone who hurts one of my children or one of my friends/family/loved ones.

*I'm a very good driver. Really, not in a Rainman kind of way. I like to drive and I'm good at it.

3/03/2008 07:57:00 AM