Sunday, June 8, 2008

Canon vs. Sony

I want to get a new digital camera; mine is rather old in the tooth. She must be three or four-years-old now and in tech years that’s obsolete and then some!

For some reason I’ve had my heart set on a Sony ever since I got this one (my third digicam) just like I want a Mac for my next laptop. *g* I started doing research on what type of Sony I should get and read some reviews, and to my surprise they ALL mention Canon as being the best brand for digicams! *gasp* How can this be? I thought Sony, for sure, took the best pics.

Now I’m torn. I want the best available product for my money and if Canon is it then I’m going to slap myself senseless until I forget all about Sony... Actually, Sony who? LOL

Anyone has advice on what I should get or recommendations on a specific model/brand?

Labels:


11 comment(s):

Blogger Terri said...

In my experience Canon and Nikon have the BEST digital camera's, but it is mostly personal preference. I bet someone will say Sony or Olympus. I have a Canon Digital SLR and a Nikon point and shoot (small so I can take it anywhere (deos video too)

6/08/2008 09:42:00 AM  

Blogger Thomas J. Brown said...

I'm going to kill blogger. I just wrote a _huge_ comment and blogger choked on it.

Basically, it said that you can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon for digital SLRs; I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi, which I love; so does my dad, who was a professional photographer for over 30 years; Sony doesn't make the list because, although they have great electronics, Canon and Nikon have better optics, which is arguably what's most important in a DSLR.

Grr. Stupid blogger. The worst part is that, right before I clicked publish, I thought to myself, "this is a pretty long comment. Perhaps I should copy it to the clipboard in case something happens..."

6/08/2008 12:21:00 PM  

Blogger C2 said...

I love my Canon - so much, that when I decided to get my mom a digital camera, I got her one too. She hasn't had any problems operating it and takes really good pictures with it. That alone speaks well of their cameras. :o)

6/08/2008 12:33:00 PM  

Blogger Bev(QB) said...

When it comes to digital cameras, one simple rule of thumb: CANON.

I'm not sure if, when you say digicam, you mean still camera or camcorder. The fact is that most good still cameras do video too, but the sound sucks just because they don't have a directional microphone like a camcorder does. Since the last time I checked there was no clear leader in the camcorder format wars, I'm going to assume you mean a digital still camera. Which means Canon.

Yes, you may find good reviews for one or two models from another manufacturer or two. But save yourself the grief and time trying to compare all those different individual models. Just go to Canon and decide which CANON model has the features you want. Hint: digital image stabilization is a MUST HAVE. And I use the sports mode (not just for sports) more than any other on my Canon S3IS (GREAT freakin' camera, btw-- AMAZING zoom shots, love the twist and turn display screen--- but soooo heavy!) so, I personally would want that again. I have never heard of anyone being unhappy with their Canon, and I know several people that bought Canon (different models) based on my rec.

Biggest downside to buying Sony? I mean besides the fact it isn't a Canon? Those Memory Sticks. I guarandamntee you that one day Sony will announce they are abandoning the memory sticks and will come up with another lame brain scheme that they want the world to follow and the world ignores them. Nope, Canon uses Memory Cards like everyone else. Sony really should get with the program and quit trying to be leaders in this shit--- remember Betamax?

6/08/2008 03:07:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not have a lot of money for personal spending after taking care of my family's needs, so I bought a reasonably priced camera. A Canon Power Shot sx100. I got this one so I could take close ups of my kids. From bleachers, I can close in on my son's face as he is pitching with perfect clarity, capture a baseball in motion pitched at 50mph,and a closeup of dancer daughter on stage from seating near the balcony. I love this camera. I had in past Nokia and Olympus, both film and digital- Love the Canon the most for ease and handling. Good Luck finding waht you really want- there are a lot of choices out there-

6/08/2008 08:01:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was convinced I wanted a Sony too. (I also chickened out on the mac I swore I was going with for my next laptop...love my Sony Vaio, hate Vista) What made up my mind was the memory stick vs SD card. I have no regrets. My Canon takes fabulous pics, and I can use slip that card into my palm or my laptop, so simple!

6/08/2008 09:21:00 PM  

Blogger Thomas J. Brown said...

Being a filmmaker, I just have to respond to what QB said.

1) Camcorders _DO NOT_ have directional microphones. Camcorders have shitty little unidirectional mics that often pick up camera handling noise, and even the sound of the zoom servo motor!

2) There are clear leaders when it comes to camcorders, but they're all professional or prosumer level cameras. When it comes to consumer level camcorders, I'm pretty happy with my Sony Handycam.

3) Ditigal image stabilization is nice, but no photographer worth her salt would be caught dead using it. DIS works by enlarging the image (which causes pixel distortion), then attempting to compensate for any camera wiggle. The end result is less blurring, but also slightly lower quality. Image stabilizing lenses are better, and a tripod is better still.

4) Betamax. Seriously? Betamax kicked VHS's ass all over town. In fact, many T.V. stations still use Beta because of its superior image quality. Only now are stations beginning to switch away to other formats. (I should point out that the Beta format that T.V. stations use is a different, professional-grade Beta. It's not the same thing that my parents used in the 80s.) Sony's downfall was that they refused to allow other companies to make and use Beta technology — a mistake they haven't made with Memory Sticks (the non-Sony computer I'm typing this on has a built-in Memory Stick reader).

I won't argue that Canon is fantastic — it's my first and only choice, after all. But there are a lot of things that Nikon does better than Canon. It's probably worth doing the research to determine your needs. That said, I would still recommend Canon to anyone, any time.

And this time, I'm copying my comment to the clipboard!

6/08/2008 09:46:00 PM  

Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

I've bought 4 Canons, and they've all been great cameras! Nikon is good, too. I wouldn't buy Sony unless you're looking for a videocamera or a special feature you are sure isn't available elsewhere..

6/09/2008 01:09:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Canon it is.

I am surprised that Sony doesn't even show up in the top lists! *gasp*

I'm between two models now. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Tks everyone :D

6/09/2008 07:13:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... I have a samsung and i love it. how ever its just a regular point and shoot camera.

However, I have to say that sony, samsung and other companies that are not soley based in cameras are not as good as say nikon or cannon. which have been doing it for many more years. My grand-mother is a great photographer and wont go anywhere near anything unless its a nikon.

7/25/2008 12:12:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Canon is the best (for me). It's way better than Sony. Sony's got fashionable ones. But Canon's range is still the best camera range.

9/22/2008 07:36:00 AM