Monday, June 2, 2008

Vista headache

My old laptop is wonderful and not really “old” (I got it around a year and a half ago), but because I work with a lot image editing and web designing tools I decided I needed to get a more powerful machine.

I bought myself a beautiful new HP Pavilion with 4GB of RAM memory and Intel Dual Core processors (my old one had an Intel Celeron processor and only 512 of RAM). Let me tell you, this computer is breathtakingly beautiful. The design is a pure delight to look at. So much so that I sit and stare at it for minutes at a time marveling at the simple beauty of it. *sigh* The problem is, that I also find myself staring for eons at a damn browser page and/or program that takes freaking forever to load!

At first I thought it was something wrong with my brand new computer. I started googling stuff like mad and through the search results realized that the problem isn’t my Black Beauty but freaking Windows Vista. THIS OPERATING SYSTEM SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *arrrggg*

I’ve spend the last two days trying to tweak and hound a brand new super powerful PC to find a way to optimize an operating system that should not be sold or installed into any computer if it doesn’t damn well work. Just writing this, my Physical Memory is up to fifty-fucking-six percent—AND WORD IS ALL I HAVE OPEN.

I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating this is. I want my XP back. *sniff*

The only thing that gives me hope is that all the articles I’ve read about optimizing Vista say that once you’ve disabled all the useless features that eat up your RAM, the program is quite good. In the mean time, I’m a WinVista slave.

Note: During my waiting-for-stuff-to-load time I’ve drawn up a chart of people raped/abused/molested/beaten in that gad-awful Robin Schone book I had the misfortune to read. I’ll type it in as soon as my computer is in working order.

Labels: ,


6 comment(s):

Blogger ... said...

Ah, Windows. I don't miss it at all. ;)

Robin Schone, huh? I don't believe I've read anything of hers.

Good luck whipping your computer into shape!

6/02/2008 06:58:00 PM  

Blogger Shosh said...

My husband is really happy with his Vista. I'm still on XP because I tend to not get new computer until it's really dead. If he insists I get new one, I turn into a manthis and is likely to bite his head off, so he learned to keep his mouth shut when it comes to my slow take on technology.

I think Robin Schone is a book you read when you think your life is perfect and you're smiling all the time. It's almost like suicide, except you're still breathing afterwards.

Check out Laura Moriarty's book here

6/03/2008 12:53:00 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

vista is the devil. every time i boot up, i have to go make a sandwich or clip my toenails or something to waste time waiting for it. ugh.

6/03/2008 04:10:00 PM  

Blogger Terri said...

Vista BLOWS.

Try googling speed up Vista or something like that. I hear there are fixes on the web that improve it somewhat.

I refuse to buy a new machine till they fix Vista.

I also heard if you complain ENOUGh some companies will give you a free copy of XP

6/04/2008 09:19:00 PM  

Blogger Thomas J. Brown said...

I had wanted a Mac for a long time.

Not long ago, the time came for me to buy a new computer. Vista had recently hit the market, and even the most die-hard Windows users I knew were complaining about it.

After thinking about what I should do, the choice became quite obvious: If I'm going to have to buy all new hardware and all new software just to make everything work on a Vista machine, why not just buy a Mac?

I bought a 24-inch iMac. I love it.

6/07/2008 12:44:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is so strange to read your reports/reactions on Windows Vista. I have been using it since Feb 07 on my HP Pavilion running on 2GB RAM Intel Centrino Duo and i absolutely love it!

It never crashes, and as long as you're running latest versions of software (mostly), you'd be all right. And anyway, we commonly want to get updates on our softwares, don't we?

Aside from having all these programs on (Mozilla - multiple tabs, MS Word 2007, Winamp, Windows Media Player, 2 messenger programs,...among others) I find its performance is just fine. No lags, it's not sluggish by any means, etc..

Windows Vista is also scheduled to automatically defrag my laptop on every Wed, 2 am.

Strange how y'all are facing all these other problems..hmm..

9/29/2008 05:57:00 PM