Sunday, January 8, 2006

Noble titles: Who is who?

For those of you who, like me, have a hard time keeping noble titles straight in their heads, this is a short list of the correct order in which they go. Of course, it’s much more complicated than this, but reading/deciphering all that gave me a headache LOL.

Out of two people of the same rank, who goes first is determined by how long their particular title has been in existence.
  • King
  • Prince
  • Duke
  • Marquess
  • Earl
  • Viscount
  • Baron
  • Baronet
  • Knight
However, when you put in family members, things get awkward, because oldest sons (who will inherit the title if it’s hereditary) are ranked differently than their younger brothers, and women have their own hierarchy. This is because women can derive rank from their husbands or their own selves. (Husbands cannot derive any rank from their wives.)

P.S. Took a What kind of romance heroine are you? Quiz and here are parts of the very disappointing results:

Oh dear, you are Bookish, aren’t you? (yes) You are a highly intelligent and witty (double yes!) bluestocking, whose beauty is hidden behind spectacles (my beauty is not hidden anywhere, it’s out there for all to see!!!). Your dress sense is eccentric and a little unfashionable (okay, now, lets stop with the insults! I am a great dresser, with superb fashion sense!), and you consider yourself plain (I DO NOT!). You have very little use for men (wrong again; I have plenty of use for men *ahem*), who find your knowledge of Shakespeare, interest in politics and forthright speech formidable.

Labels: ,


3 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh LOL! Here's my result:

Lucky you--you are the Belle of the Ball. Looks, wit, charm, accomplishments and money--you have them all (yeah, that's me, lol). You are the toast of Society, and have received offers from no fewer than three Dukes. There is no-one who does not love you on sight. Sound good? It isn't, because to compensate for these riches, the author has something very nasty indeed in store for you (i knew it, too good to be true!). I mean, she does have to write a novel here, and you can't expect to be happy all the time (yeah, yeah). So, you have a Dark Secret. Or perhaps a Secret Love for the only man who does not appear to desire you (Clooney, are you listening!). Or maybe you will be kidnapped, or become embroiled in a scandal (nothing new to this), or be wagered and lost by your brother in a card game (hmm.. could be fun). The possibilities are endless, but you may be certain of two things. 1) You will not get through this book without some kind of scandal being attached to your name (duh, I'M harlot). I'm sorry, but that's just how it is (bring it on, sister). 2) Whatever it is, he--the man of your dreams, that is--will fall in love with you, rescue you, slay your opponents, defy your detractors, marry you and live happily ever after. This is a romance novel, after all (no shit).

1/08/2006 06:00:00 PM  

Blogger Tart said...

LOL - though I do get confused as how to pronounce Marquess (Mark-wee? Mark-wis? Mark-ee?)... :D

As for which Heroine I am? I got the same as you, Bookish LOL.

1/08/2006 09:32:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm proud to announce I am also the Belle of the Ball. This is far better than the results I received from that book quiz. I don't remember what it was but I remember being quite annoyed! I'll take being the Belle even though it doesn't quite fit.

1/09/2006 02:35:00 PM