Saturday, May 26, 2007

BBC: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Okey dokey, kiddos, time for The Chamber of Secrets... *creepy music comes in* *muahhahaha*

Here are the questions you shall ALL answer or fear the wrath of Harlot the BBC Nazi, who seems to have burnt off random patches of her pubic hair BTW. Wonder what she was doing, mmmm... Perhaps curling it? *evil grin*
  • Who is your favorite character in this book and why?
  • What is the role of the afterlife in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets? Consider Nearly-Headless Nick and Moaning Myrtle as examples of characters who continue to affect the plot even after they are dead. Why do you think Harry’s parents are not able to return to earth in this ghostly form?
  • JKR: “Key things happen in book two. No one knows how important those things are... yet. There’s a lot in there. Chamber holds some very important clues to the ultimate end of the series. Not as many as six, obviously, but there is a link.” What clues do you think appear in HP2 that will define important things in the last book, or have already surfaced in previous books?
Remember, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban discussion starts June 9th. This is my favorite book in the series; can’t wait to re-read and discuss it with you guys! *g*


Related:

Labels: ,


35 comment(s):

Blogger ValVega said...

First let me admit I'm not done re-reading, I'm on page 126, but I'll answer some of the questions now and finish the others later (harlot please do not punish me *sniff* I swear I will try and do better next time, I swear I swear *sobbing*).

My favorite character so far is Mr. Dursley, then again he's almost always one of my favorite characters LOL I don't know why I can imagine him so vividly, all his scenes make me laugh, and of course Mr. Weasley with his muggle obession, gotta love him too!

I think it would've been a very very bad idea for JKR to have had harry's parents on as ghosts in the series. First, these ghosts are all impersonal to us, we don't really care much about them, except for entertainment and that they make the school even more unique, but can you imagine what kids that had lost a parent would think if they read that they could come back as ghosts? JKR does very well to explain this in book 5 BTW after my dear dear ****** dies *sniff*

Another thing is that Harry's life and personality has been shaped so much by the death of his parents and how it occured. By not having them he's had to mature much faster than other children, and has learned to rely and trust his friends and others around that offer him help. If his parents were ghosts he would have only needed to go to them, and perhaps the same thing that happened with the mirror would've happened then; he'd probably only want to be around them.

One of the things I like best about JKR are the names she gives her characters. I love how most of them are alliterations; I think it makes them fun! Parvati Patil, Colin Creeve, Cho Chang, Luna Lovegood, Dudley Dursley, Minerva Magonagall and so on. Also most of them are descriptive of the character's personalities, when you think of someone named Minerva you probably think of someone strict, and severus snape you know will be a severe meanie, malfoy is evil (mal is evil in spanish), dumbledore I thought would be someone silly and to point he is LOL Anyway, JKR does great names!

I'll answer the last question when I'm done. Hopefully tomorrow.

5/26/2007 05:30:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

1. My favorite character in HP2 is Dobby! I love Dobby. Actually in the beginning I didn't know what to make of him but in the end, when it all made sense, LOL, of course I can't help but like Dobby.

2. I agree with Trollop that it would be a bad idea to make Harry's parents as ghosts. Anyway, the after life, death and dead people are major themes in the HP series. Just look at how the series started, with Voldemort trying to escape after life by procuring the sorcerer's stone. In HP2, Tom Riddle is the reason behind all the mystery and he existed because Voldemort did not want to die.

3. I don't know if I'm only making this connection because I've read book 6 already but, as the previous question pointed out, I think it's the ghosts. HP books revolves around the death of Harry's parents, Voldemort's fear of afterlife and Harry fighting all the evilness to stay alive.

5/26/2007 06:41:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

1. Hmmm... I don't think i have a favorite character in HP2. This is my least fave HP, i gotta tell ya. Most interesting though: Dobby. (I luuuuurve Dobby in later books but not specifically in book 2.) At HP2, we don't know much about the house elves and Dobby isn't a very reliable model, isn't he? LOL I mean he disobeyed his master to warn Harry but he's not supposed to. Anyway, Dobby is just weird! And his self-punishment, i find that very disturbing. :/

2. I agree with Trollop and Jordis. Harry's life has been shaped by the death of his parents, and somehow, Voldemort's quest to conquer death has always intertwined with Harry. In HP2, we saw the young Voldemort as Riddle, who only existed because Voldy didn't want to die.

3. I'll say Riddle's diary. :P It proves that Voldemort found ways to somehow come back to life if he dies.

5/26/2007 09:09:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Btw, while rereading i noticed that as early as book 2, Percy started distancing himself from his family. He keeps secrets from his family (even if, apparently, that's just about a girl LOL) and he locks himself in his room all the time according to Ron (god knows what he's been doing :/). It's just, since i know what happens with him in the later books and his thirst for power, wonder if he'll join Voldy's side. :S

5/26/2007 09:17:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

My favorite character in book 2 is Gilderoy! He is such a fake and so clueless he makes me laugh. For example, that scene where he started the dueling club and of all people, he asked Snape to be his assistant! Lol Didn't he realize that Snape would probably kill him (or at least jinx him to eternity) just for the sake of shutting him up?

I agree with everyone else. Everything that has happened to Harry, it's all connected with the death of his parents. He would not be THE famous Harry Potter if his parents didn't die.

In book 1, we meet different ghosts, even a poltergeist, but we are not given the chance to actually know them. In book 2, it's different. We know about Mrytle, her tamtrums, and even why she died.

Key things, first, our trio has matured a lot. One example is Hermione, of all people, convinces Ron and Harry to break school laws by brewing polyjuice potion. This is the girl who said explusion from Hogwarts was worse than death when after meeting Fluffy in book 1!

Riddle's diary is also important as Harlot and Jordis mentioned. Also, did you notice that there are many hints about Snape's ability to read other people's minds?

Malfoy mentions that his father has valuable dark arts things in their home. Even after book 6, we only know about Riddle's diary. Perhaps those other dark arts things will have importance in book 7.

5/26/2007 09:47:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I have a question. How come Harry's scar doesn't hurt when Tom Riddle is around?

5/26/2007 09:48:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Lorelei, I agree about the ghosts. There's also Nearly Headless Nick's deathday party! LOL. That's amusing.

Regarding Harry's scar not hurting even when Tom Riddle is around, I'm guessing that have something to do with the fact that Riddle is before Voldemort's attack on the Potters (reason of Harry's scar).

5/26/2007 10:17:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

-- I agree with Harlot about Dobby. He's not my favorite either but he is very interesting. In book 1, we met centaurs and goblins and trolls, magical creatures that we usually hear from stories. This is the first time I read about a house elf. They are practically nothing but slaves in the magical world. Compare to the other magical creatures, house elves live together with humans, but they are also in the bottom of the wizarding society. I find that very odd because house elves are very powerful. They can even perform magic without wands.

-- Death is always a recurring theme in the Harry Potter books. In book 2, the mystery lies in the Chamber of Secrets and who is the heir of Slytherin. Much of the action revolves about the "monster from the chamber" bend on killing muggle-born students.

I agree with Trollop's reason why it's impractical for JKR to have had Harry's parents as ghosts.

-- I was thinking about ghosts and how they function in the HP world. Ghosts can't eat and can't feel things (we're reminded of this in Nick's Deathday Party). Ghosts aren't solid, you can walk through them, they walk through walls etc. So how come Myrtle makes a lot of splashes and mess in the girl's bathroom? How can she do that if ghosts can't affect solid things?

What about the Bloody Baron? If I recall correctly, Nearly Headless Nick once said that the Bloody Baron's favorite past time is clanking around in the Astronomy Tower. I'm guessing that includes two objects in contact with each other to make some sounds. So how does the Bloody Baron do that?

5/26/2007 11:03:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Good one, Polly! I don't know how it works really, but maybe it depends on the emotion of the ghost? If they're feeling too much, maybe they can affect some things... Maybe it's the same as, when they pass through you, you feel cold.

Can ghosts still do magic? I know they are still affected by magic (ex: Nearly Headless Nick getting petrified).

5/27/2007 12:09:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I think Myrtle said toilet water can swept her away. Perhaps it's just water? I don't know about the Bloody Baron though.

5/27/2007 12:19:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Not sure about a favourite overall in book 2. But the Dobby creature always promised great potential for me. I liked seeing how fascinating the muggle world was to a wizard as well, from Mr Weasley's point of view.

2. The Life/Death contrast to me is equal to the good/evil contrast. Harry's Parents for example are able to completely move on to the next world and not be stuck in the world as ghosts, because they were "good" and died preserving the good.
I think that is what the presence of the ghosts like Nearly Headless Nick and Myrtle signify. They are collectively "stuck" between worlds. Perhaps their intentions in life were not fully for good, or fully for evil. Therefore they are caught in a "limbo world"
This would also have been known to Voldemort.
So, we see that he knows that he would be reduced to a wispy creature with only ghostly "tricks" like water splashing and clanking of chains if he loses his life to the cause of evil.
As a clever Wizard he then begins, while alive in the world, to put in place the means for him to return in the afterlife as a fully functioning powerful wizard but for evil.
Which brings us to 3.
The means by which he plans to achieve his goal.
Example: Riddle's Diary and the other wizardry mechanisms he places in the world and allies he makes to aid his eventual return. He wants to come back immortal, fully functioning and not only immortal ... but immortally evil.
He must overcome any powers for good to achieve this. Therefore he must work to de-throne, de-power any powerful wizard working for good. Harry's Parents were able to pass this (as yet unknown) power on to their son and therefore in order to reach his final goal Voldemort must destroy Harry. He must also aim to destroy all who would defend Harry (Dumbledore, etc.)
Long winded reply, but there you go!

5/27/2007 12:36:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh i agree with Aggie Fongool Lover. :P

JKR said that HP2 holds some very important clues to the end of the series. With all this ghost talks, i was wondering, what's going to happen to Voldy when he dies. Because like Aggie said, ghosts are probably "stuck", they can't move on that's why they're still around. What if Voldy ends up being a ghost and since ghosts can affect things, would he be able to wreak havoc again? I mean if Myrtle can affect water, who's to say that ghost Voldy can't drown someone? Just saying.. :/

5/27/2007 01:09:00 AM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

1. I thought book 2 is better than book 1. My favorite characters are still the Weasley twins, they are so funny, but Dobby is very intriguing.

2. There are too many questions as to why ghosts didn't "move on", why they are still with us. I agree with Aggie, I think most of them are stuck. I was wondering the same thing as Harlot, can ghosts still perform magic? If ghosts can throw things across the room, they can handle wands.

In paranormal studies, it has always been said that spirits can affect the physical world if they're angry or sad or depressed (like Myrtle). But what about Peeves? He has always been able to move solid things. What's the difference between a poltergeist and a normal ghost?

3. Tom's diary is proof that Voldemort is capable of going back to a fully functioning wizard. There is also Dobby who has been able to disobey and get out of his Master's house if he really wants too (the same thing happened in HP5 why a beloved character died).

5/27/2007 01:32:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Jordis, good point. Speaking of Gilderoy Lockhart, why would Dumbledore hire him? I don't think anyone can fool Dumbledore, especially not someone like Lockhart who obviously lacks magical abilities.

5/27/2007 01:42:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a new meaning for Fongool ... we are having a fongooling good discussion on HP2! lol! huh? huh?

5/27/2007 02:56:00 AM  

Blogger Stacia said...

Ugh, I'm going by memory here because I won't start re-reading until early July so I can finish book 6 just before I get book 7. Heee!

My favorite character in this book? Probably Gilderoy. He amused me. Sorry, but I thought Dobby was irritating.

The role of the afterlife...can't really add much to what's already been said. I imagine Harry's parents had some kind of choice given to them (I believe Nick implied as much at the end of book 5) but for whatever reason decided not to stick around. I wonder if this means ghosts have some sort of insight into the future? Like they saw how Harry would turn out? Or you could say they were somehow trapped in Voldemort's wand, but I doubt that's the case--although it would be really awesomely sinister, wouldn't it, if his wand kept people's souls?

Key things in book 2...obviously the horcruxes are a huge thing, and we saw the first one in book 2. Also, this is where we learned about Harry's ability to speak Parseltongue as something passed to him by Voldemort (or it was mentioned and we later learned Voldy passed it to him, I can't recall exactly), which of course is enormously important to the series. I think the house-elves are going to play a big part in the final book, based not just on this and Kreacher but on Hermione's SPEW. This is also the book where Ron spent more time with Hermione which I think planted some seeds for later. And yes, Percy did start to withdraw a bit, and we realized that not all adults in the wizarding world are trustworthy even if they seem benign (Lockhart again).

5/27/2007 06:08:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

"Or you could say they were somehow trapped in Voldemort's wand"

December, I never thought of that! That would be horrible, LOL.

Anyway, I have to agree with Gilderoy. He's funny! I agree with Lorelei about the dueling club part with Snape. "Don't worry, you'd still have your potion master after I'm through with him." LOL

I don't know why Dumbledore hired Lockhart, and as the DADA teacher to boot. He sure is ineffectual as a teacher and I think all the teachers hate him. I'm thinking there are no other applicants so he was forced to hire Golderoy.

Now on key things: Speaking of no applicants for the DADA teacher, Hagrid mentioned that the job is jinxed. I didn't pick that up until the reread (of course we became aware of that in book 6).

There's also the opal necklace in Borgin and Burkes: "Caution: Do Not Touch, Cursed - Has Claimed the Lives of Nineteen Muggle Owners to Date".

Also, Hermione keeps saying that no one can aparate in and out of Hogwarts castle because of the magical barriers and all that. (Snape had to run outside the gate in order to disapparate with Malfoy in HP6.) So how come Dobby can do it when he visited Harry in the hospital wing?

5/27/2007 06:59:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

One thing I like about the HP books is you see the way the characters grow and mature. In HP1, we saw Harry almost living the Cinderella life. He is still being mistreated by the Dursleys but in HP2, he is far more confident. He's not afraid of Dudley, he's more self-assured but never cocky or impolite.

Ginny too has grown a lot. She is sitll shy around Harry but we saw the first signs of spunkiness in her. Look at the way she told Malfoy to back off when he was taunting Harry. "Leave him alone, he didn't want all that!"

One of the things I notice while re-reading is how odd the Dursley's behavior really are. They lock Harry's magic stuff because they're afraid of him or he'll use magic on them, which I understand. They also interfere with his communication with the wizarding world (probably nothing because of pure meanness). But what I find really weird behavior is that Vernon actually locks Harry in his room and then installed bars on his window so Harry can't leave. If they hate him so much why do the Dursleys want to keep Harry from going to Hogwarts? I would think it would make them happy that Harry is leaving and would want him to be gone for good!

5/27/2007 12:42:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

My favorite character is Gilderoy. LOL. He is really amusing.

Key notes: The Dueling Club chapter is one of the most interesting part in the book. We learned that Harry is a parseltongue, something that associates him with the Dark Lord and Salazar Slytherin. I think that's why he didn't tell Dumbledore that he has this particular gift when Dumbledore asks him if there's something he wants to tell him. He's afraid that Dumbledore will think he's connected to everything that's been happening, to Slytherin and to his heir.

In the Dueling Club, there's also Gilderoy and what a total fraud he is! LOL. This is also where Harry learns to use the disarming charm, which he has used a lot and saved him in the future books.

5/27/2007 01:03:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I have to agree with Petra on the Dursley's odd behavior. Also, we really don't know anything about Petunia and Lily's relationship. We know that Petunia hated her sister because Lily was the favorite daughter but that's it. Anyway, how come Petunia didn't know Harry is not allowed to do magic outside Hogwarts when she grew up with Lily? Surely she would know some minimal info like that. She likes to eavesdrop. She even knew about dementors (reference to book 5).

5/27/2007 01:20:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

"Also, Hermione keeps saying that no one can aparate in and out of Hogwarts castle because of the magical barriers and all that. (Snape had to run outside the gate in order to disapparate with Malfoy in HP6.) So how come Dobby can do it when he visited Harry in the hospital wing?"

Jolie, I didn't notice that! Can house elves become invisible at will? Maybe Dobby aparated outside the castle walls and then walked to the hospital wing invisible? LOL

5/27/2007 01:22:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just, since i know what happens with him in the later books and his thirst for power, wonder if he'll join Voldy's side. :S

I agree that he has seemed obsessed with power but I think when push comes to shove he would be against Voldemort. I think Percy sees power as desirable and is upset that his family has never pursued it but I think when it back fires or he sees it being used opposite of how he feels it should he'll snap to his senses. I don't believe we have any evidence of Percy breaking rules I think is desire for power is tied into his obsession with rules, Voldemort is the opposite of this.

5/27/2007 06:02:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

In HP2, JKR shows us how it's like to be raised in different types of household. Two new characters have been introduced, and both are fathers: Lucius and Mr. Weasley.

I really like Mr. Weasley (I love it when JKR provides insights into the Weasley family) and the way he is fascinated with muggles. He seems like such a warm person, someone you'll invite to your house and have coffee with. He may experiment with muggle inventions (like the flying car), adapting them for his use but his spells are not harmful to others. I like his enthusiasm too. I don't blame Molly for falling in love with such a man. He is kind, playfull, and has a little streak for rule breaking.

On the other hand, there's Lucius Malfoy. He is rude, cruel, unpleasant, just plain nasty. Compare to the way Mr. Weasley cares for his children, you almost feel sorry for Draco having Lucius for a father. It makes you wonder if Draco could ever be anything but a bully and a jerk.

5/27/2007 06:16:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I too love the Weasleys! I don't care about Percy, but I really hope JKR doesn't kill any of the other Weasleys!

I like the Weasley family insights too, and in book 7, there's a big chance we'll read about Bill's wedding.

Did you notice that Snape turns up at the most opportune time? I'm one of those who believe everything that has happened to Harry in Hogwarts has been Dumbledore's way of training him. And of course Snape is helping. Like the Polyjuice Potion. He tells his class where to actually find the recipe. He's also the one who teach them how to disarm spells.

5/27/2007 06:36:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Bear with me ok. When Harry is in the hospital wing after the quidditch accident, the teachers has brought a petrified Colin in. Dumbledore says:

"The Question is not who. The question is, how..."

I thought that was very interesting. It means that Dumbledore really knows pretty much everything that goes on in Hogwarts. He knows it's Tom Riddle who is the heir of Slytherin. He just didn't know at the time how.

Also, there's a chance that Dumbledore knows Harry is awake and listening. Knowing Harry, he will try to figure out things and will then have to fight Riddle. All part of training Harry?

5/27/2007 06:49:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

Jordis, I didn't notice that. You're right, Dumbledore said WHO. It makes sense. I wonder if he know about the diary and just didn't have a clue who is using it.

Ginny trying to tell Harry and Ron about the diary and the chamber but being interrupted by Percy was frustrating. It's also interesting that Riddle talks about Voldemort as if he were another person.

I wonder why Mrs. Norris has been attacked when the heir's target has been Muggle borns.

BTW, how could Dobby be able to stop Harry's mails and then stop him from going through the barrier in King's Cross? What about that bludger he has tampered with? I just thought he's in another household and I'm sure the Malfoys would notice his absence.

5/28/2007 03:28:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Petra, you'd think Dobby gets some day off, huh? :P Trollop and i were discussing HP last night. (I know, she should be doing thesis. :/) I said i can't believe HP7 is only 784 pages (US HB edition), which is 100 pages less than OOTP (i really thought it'll be muchos longer). I said i wonder how JKR had been able to fit everything in HP7 in so few pages because there are a lot of questions that have yet to be answered. Trollop said that JKR probably hadn't and couldn't. JKR might know all the answers but she doesn't see all the little details fans do, because unlike her, we over analyze everything in HP.

Anyway, did you guys notice the vanishing cabinet has been mentioned in HP2? Nearly Headless Nick convinces Peeves to break it to help Harry escape. I wonder if the cabinet hasn't been broken, it plays a part in book 6! I suppose in a way it bought more time for Harry. *sniff*

5/28/2007 04:45:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

You know, Dumbledore is a smart guy, it's possible that he's been training Harry from day one to fight Voldemort on his own. After all he knew what the prophesy said and what it would eventually happen if he came back.

5/28/2007 05:00:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Just remembered this. Towards the end of the book, Riddle has mentioned Hagrid was trying to raise werewolf cubs under his bed. I'm sorry but is that even possible? I mean, aren't werewolves suppose to have normal human form unless it's full moon? Besides, why would Hagrid raise werewolf cubs? Even if those do not change into their human form (which i doubt), surely those cubs have parents who will look for them, right?

Just saying, it doesn't make sense.. :/

5/28/2007 09:44:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Re: Werewolf cubs.

Errrr, Harlot dear, I doubt that's one of the questions that'll be answered in the -700 pages of HP7 so don't hold your breath. You'd do better sticking to your portrait in the headmasters office *har har har* LOL

5/29/2007 04:32:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I was just saying! And i didn't say portraits of only the headmasters but any wizards or witches IN THEIR HOUSES!

Now, babe, it's not -700 pages but 784 pages.

Oh.

Wait.

I forgot!

You're going to get the fugly UK version with the fugly cover! I'm thorry, that 784 pages is for the US HB, which i'll get. *har har har*

5/29/2007 03:27:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

Regarding thr Dueling Club, did you notice that Snape whispered in Malfoy's ear to set the snake on Harry?

Sometimes I think Snape did it on purpose to know if Harry is a parselmouth. He, like Dumbledore, probably knows the identity of the heir of Slytherin (though did not know HOW). Maybe Snape knows what's inside the chamber and wanted to test a theory. He's not even surprised about Harry being a parselmouth.

5/29/2007 05:24:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I like the Dueling Club chapter as well but surely, a dueling club should be illegal. I mean, they should not really encourage kids to throw hexes at each other.

Did you notice that the first one who mentioned Azkaban in the series is Malfoy?

5/29/2007 10:50:00 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Did you see the news about a Harry Potter theme park at Universal in Orlando?! Very exciting! Apparently they're going to re-create Hogsmeade, the Forest, and parts of the castle!! Opening 2010.

6/01/2007 11:16:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

Oh wow, that'd be wonderful. Just imagine strolling into HP's world... wow. I remember the first time I saw HP1 movie and I was in awe of how beautiful it all was. I hope they also include the little boats that lead the first years into the castle. And in Hogsmeade, they could sell butterbeer or zonkos stuff even if said items won't do real magic. LOL

6/01/2007 11:49:00 AM