Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Twilight is OK, but it is NOT Harry Potter

Unless you’re a teen reader, author Stephenie Meyer and her characters Edward and Bella from the Twilight series probably aren’t as recognizable as say, J.K. Rowling and Harry.

[...] watch out, boy wizard, because the Twilight books have worked their way to the top of the New York Times best-seller list for children’s series books—and bumped Harry Potter to the No. 2 spot.


I was totally confused by this article comparing the Twilight books (does this series have a name, btw?) to the HP series! They have got to be kidding me. I only read Twilight and liked it well enough, but it didn’t sufficiently hold my interest to keep reading the following novels. I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy it because I did. I’m just saying that, for me, it’s nothing to go gaga over and definitely not in HP’s league.

Note to Twilight rabid fans: You have my permission to stone me now. LOL

Labels: , , ,


4 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way is Twilight anywhere near Harry Potter. For one thing I don't think it appeals to boys, and HP is loved by both sexes. Do you think its because Meyer is American?

10/17/2007 01:04:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Twilight doesn't have the cross-gender and -age appeal that HP does. I figured *some* book was bound to knock HP off the best seller list sooner or later, but I don't think Twilight will have the longevity or mass appeal that HP does.

It's so completely my Grey's Anatomy of books (i.e., there was potential at first and then it all went... someplace that's else; but there are one or two redeeming factors that keep bringing me back, even though I know I should just break up with it -- I have succeeded with Grey's, not yet with the Twilight series).

'Course, I did read the Twilight books - and will probably read the last one too, to complete the series - and can't get into the HP books, so what do I know.

10/17/2007 03:42:00 PM  

Blogger Terri said...

Okay. Rabid Twilight series fan here. I made my husband read them, that's now nuts I am. He suffered through, God bless him. I don't know how he did it though...

Although I LOVE Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse, they are no Harry Potter. I think it knocked HP off the best seller list simply because something had to, since HP is over. Why not angsty vampire drama?

10/18/2007 05:45:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore the Twilight books but they arent the same as Harry Potter. They cant be compared. I'm not saying Harry Potter is sooooo much better (but it kinda is lol) but they are so different.

I'm getting really impatient for the next book though :S Which is stupid because its not going to be released for ages.

10/19/2007 02:15:00 AM