Monday, February 18, 2008

Meet Becky Bloomwood


I know Hollywood is the land of fake (fake face, fake boobies, fake husband, fake sex—you name it!) where originality is scarce so book adaptations should always be expected, but gawdalmighty, I’m beginning to think every bleeding bestseller is being made into a movie. (Not that I’m complaining, hee. As of now, my most anticipated movie is The Time Traveler’s Wife.)

Production for Confessions of a Shopaholic, based on the novel by Sophie Kinsella, has already began a few days ago in NYC. Isla Fisher** will play Becky, “a compulsive shopper in Manhattan up to her neck in debt who becomes a financial-advice columnist.” Photo above is one of the first photos taken from the set; I should hate orange and purple together but love the tights, loooove the coat—I think she looks pretty spiffy. Then I looked down: peep-toe booties? :S

Anyhoodles, according to IMDb, Krysten Ritter joins the cast as Suze, Becky’s BFF. Hugh Dancy is also listed but without mention of a specific role. Is he going to play the verra fuckable Luke? More importantly, will he open up to Becky *ahem* *in Becky’s voice* “like they do on Dawson’s Creek”? (Source)

**How does Mrs. Borat stay looking so young? Virgin’s blood? Dolphin’s tears? Unicorn’s poop?? What, whaaaat???

Labels: ,


22 comment(s):

Blogger Menchie said...

Didn't she just give birth? And she looks like that already???

Life is unfair.

2/18/2008 11:51:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

OMG! I love the Shopaholic books! SQUEEEEEE!

OK, I love Isla but Becky is English. Is Isla going to have an accent or they're going to Americanize the movie?

2/19/2008 12:25:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

Isla is actually an Aussie so maybe they'll just let that be her accent!

2/19/2008 03:55:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

Or more precisely she has spent a LOT of time here!

2/19/2008 03:57:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

The book is set is London, not Manhattan!

And that outfit is plain hiddeous Harlot. I should take you to the eye doctor with me next week! Those boots will give me nightmares for weeks LOL

Oh, and continuing with my never knowing who this people are thing, er, who is this Isla again?

2/19/2008 07:55:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Vicious Trollop, just because you hate orange doesn't mean everyone else does too. And Isla (the crazed bitch in WEDDING CRASHERS) can wear orange and look cute.

2/19/2008 09:52:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Am I the only woman who did not like the Shopaholic series? Love Isla though.

2/19/2008 10:32:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

I like the orange coat and I like the purple tights, but not together. Love Isla, and she is really pretty!

2/19/2008 11:16:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the coat, not sure about the tights, though. Those boots are not only peep toe, but sling backs, as well. Huh. Some things should not be married, like a peep toe sling back and a boot.
I am one step behind Harlot. Don't really know Isla and I haven't read the shopaholic books.

2/19/2008 02:33:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant one step behind Trollop, but now I know who she is and I love her!

2/19/2008 02:37:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Karamia, it's not a sling back. The shoes are closed (besides the peep-toe). It's a buckle of sort, on the heel. :/

2/19/2008 02:50:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

I haven't read any of this series either!

2/19/2008 03:45:00 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, not sure how I feel about Krysten playing the role of Suze. Sort of excited to see the movie though! Thanks for posting the pic!

2/19/2008 05:03:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hugh Dancy is going to play Philip, the editor of the financial magazine where Becky works. I thought for a sec they picked him as Luke; he's British but, well, too young.

I think Patrick Dempsey can be Luke for Isla's Becky. Wocha think ladies? Wouldn't he be fab for the role?

2/19/2008 10:04:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I want Clive Owen to play Luke =D *SIGH*

2/19/2008 10:26:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will definitely watch the movie but I won't expect anything at all since it will not be the exact same Becky whom I truly love from the book although Sophie assured that there are so many similarities and memorable funny scenes. Part of me sigh because I was looking forward for a London setting instead of US but I am kinda excited of Hugh Dancy and hoping he'll really play the role of Luke since he's British and charming enough to make the movie turn out great.

2/20/2008 12:12:00 AM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

I haven't read the books but man, Isla Fisher is great. I love her in Wedding Crashers.

2/20/2008 12:44:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, no, no. Why make the movie in the US?? Have an American actress if you must but do the movie in London. You just don't move Becky Bloomwood or Bridget Jones to NYC. BIG MISTAKE!

2/20/2008 09:06:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Not really a Becky fan, but you can't take London away from Bridget. That's who she is.

2/20/2008 10:53:00 PM  

Blogger Shoshana said...

I think she might actually look like Becky B in my head.

I think she was in that movie called THE LOOKOUT. The main star in that film looks like Heath Ledger.

2/21/2008 03:44:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to Sophie Kinsella, Hugh Dancy is going to play Luke!

2/29/2008 01:39:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Re: According to Sophie Kinsella, Hugh Dancy is going to play Luke!

Oh yes. Here's what SK says on her site:

"I have been in New York recently, attending rehearsals, talking to the actors, director and producers, and seeing the story come alive before my eyes... and it's given me goosebumps :) Isla Fisher, Hugh Dancy and Krysten Ritter are going to be SO fabulous as Becky, Luke and Suze."

2/29/2008 03:08:00 AM