Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Firefox: Is this made by Mozilla or Microsoft?

Thomas said I should give the new Firefox 3 a try and I did. Now I remember why I hated it so much the first time I tried it. THIS THING FUCKS UP ALL MY PREDETERMINED BROWSER SETTINGS! *GRRRR* Such an MS thing to do!

I just spent 15 mins of my morning trying to get all my settings back. Every time I opened IE or Safari, a Firefox window would come up. WHAT. THE. FUCK? Worse thing is when I was installing it it would only give me the option to set it as my default browser even when I tried to do it via custom install. Why would they do that? Shouldn’t the customer/user be the one to determine what program they want to use to surf the web?

I’m pissed enough to uninstall this without even giving it a try. Why must they be so Microsoft-like?

Labels:


5 comment(s):

Blogger Thomas J. Brown said...

*shrugs*

No complaints here. In fact, I love it! I haven't noticed any weird behavior on any of my computers, so I don't know why weird things are happening to you (wait, are you using Vista?).

6/18/2008 10:50:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Thomas,

Actually, as much as I like to blame MS and Vista for everything (and gad knows I do LOL) the problem started b/c FF wouldn't give me the option to leave Safari as my default browser. Even in Custom install I only got the "set firefox 3 as your default browser". Then I could cancel or next. Why should I be forced to install it as my default browser?

After it installed when I clicked on my dock items even IE and Safari would open as a firefox windows :/ Very strange LOL

I changed it all back and will play with firefox a bit today. I hope that's the only disappointing part about it :)

Did you download it already? I heard there were some problems downloading it the first day.

Maybe you could help me discover some of the great features?

6/19/2008 07:10:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just downloaded it actually. I haven't given it a proper go yet but hopefully it doesn't give me too much trouble.

6/19/2008 07:56:00 AM  

Blogger Thomas J. Brown said...

That is definitely odd that your other shortcuts would launch FF; that didn't happen to me, and I would expect to see it on Digg were it a common problem.

I do agree that forcing you to make it the default browser is daft. I wonder what made them think that was a good idea.

One of the features I'm really loving is an add on called Foxmarks. I use FF on 3 computers on a regular basis, and all 3 have different bookmarks. I've been using Del.icio.us, but I have a lot of bookmarks that don't easily lend themselves to that format. Foxmarks stores all of your bookmarks online (similar to Del.icio.us), but also synchs with your browsers to ensure that you always have the same bookmarks at your fingertips.

6/19/2008 08:49:00 AM  

Blogger Shoshana said...

I used IE with all its imperfect glory.

My husband uses firefox, he seems happy with it, but then he also used netscape along with IE.

6/20/2008 07:05:00 AM