Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Me no like

In my Amazon post from last week, a lot of you commented on buying books recommended by friends or peers. I’ve always believed that word of mouth is the way most people find great reads. I mean, people will only suggest someone read a story they themselves loved (unless they’re sadistic fucks); but what happens when that “highly recommended” book, that “wonderful novel you wont be able to put down” turns out to be a pile of rubbish in your eyes? Do you come clean and tell your friend, or do you pretend you loved it and start a fan club for the author?

This is the way I see it. You have a right to be disappointed in a book that was recommended by a friend or anyone else. You do not have to like a book just because someone else did. And I think, in this case, honesty is the best policy. I’m not saying you go trash the book to within an inch of its poor existence, but at least mention the reasons why it wasn’t exactly your cup of tea. Maybe saying something good about it wouldn’t hurt either LOL, like me with Outlander. *g*

How about if the person bought you a copy of the book to read? Mmm, that’s tricky. I would probably be honest anyway, but advice everyone else to be dishonest! LOL If someone goes through the trouble of buying something for you, for god’s sake pretend you liked it! (Similar to me liking The Bronze Horseman. *whispering* Harlot gave it to me so I have to pretend Alexander wasn’t a cheating bastard!)

Now, and this is where I get mad. If, say, Harlot loved a book and I bought it—not because of her recommendation but because I randomly got it—and after reading it I mention how I didn’t like it, how the hell can she get upset about that? Do I not have a right to dislike a novel I purchased with my hard earned money, something she didn’t guide me to, and something that I simply found lacking for my taste?

I’ve heard of so many people getting mad because someone dissed a book they loved (*cough* the tons of hatemail I’ve gotten because of Outlander *cough*). This confuses me to no end. Do we all have to like the same thing? Am I not allowed to hate something you loved?

Labels: , ,


49 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

But you loved TBH! ADMIT IT! ADMIT IT'S FREAKING GREAT!!! :@

Anyway, i don't care when people don't like the books i recommended. It's their right not to like it--especially when (as the devil seed has just mentioned) it's them who paid to get the books.

Everyone has different tastes. Besides, *I* loved the book, so really not my problem; it's YOUR time, YOUR money that's been wasted. LOL

8/08/2006 01:17:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Harlot LOL

Trollop, I have to admit it irritates me when I recommend a book to someone and he ends up hating it. LOL I guess it's because I expect him to like it as well, so I end up disappointed if he doesn't.

8/08/2006 01:34:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Of course you're allowed to not like it. And sure you can say so.

But you say it with CLASS. There's a huge difference between class and cRass. Just one little letter, in fact. LOL

DC :)

8/08/2006 01:38:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Dakota's right. I guess it's different with authors. I'm not an author but it probably feels like hearing, "Hey, your baby is ugly." LOL But readers have the right to dislike a book so... :)

About people who hate the books I've recommended, screw them! But I mean, really, it's enough they have bought and actually read it because of me, and that they gave it a try. I guess if he/she hated it, what can I do really? You're right, Trollop. And good points too!

8/08/2006 01:56:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

It's kind of like saying, "try this recipe for frog legs. I made it and everyone lurved it." Sometimes frog legs just ain't yer thang and that's OK. You can't take it personally.

Not as an author or as a reader who made a recommendation, ya know?

8/08/2006 02:02:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

Trollop, you are so right! I mean, this happened to me once. I bought a Johanna Lindsey book and totally hated it! I then complained to my friend and she got mad!!! Apparently it's one of her favorite books! First, how was I to know! Second, hello? Why get mad at me when she neither bought it for me nor recommended it to me! But not the point. Does that mean I can't hate it just because she loves it?!

8/08/2006 02:15:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

You know, Jolie--upon reflection--I like that "Dakota is right." Could you like say that a few gozillion times more? LOL

DC :)

8/08/2006 02:48:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

It's good to recommend a book you love but don't insist your friends should read it. However, if they do give in, and it happens that they didn't like it, don't act like a child and pout! LOL

Different people, different tastes.

8/08/2006 02:59:00 PM  

Blogger Sherry said...

Differences in books/life are just like differences in your fellow man - we are all attracted and drawn to different things for different reasons. What I may find interesting or beautiful may be dull and ugly to you.

The point is to respect each others opinions and love each others differences. What boring creatures we would all be if we always agreed.

8/08/2006 03:00:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Sherry, I agree with you.

Dakota, LOL, if I'm an author and someone said my book is bad, I'll be hurt, and if he/she trashed it, i'll be MAD. Why not? Like the reader, it's my right to be mad - I worked hard for that damn book!

BUT, like you said, can't take it personally. Or you'll get crazy. LOL (unless said reader is spreading wrong info about my book, then that's different altogether ;)) Besides, our tastes are apparently different so if that reader writes her own book, it's more likely, like she hated mine, I'll hate hers too. LOL :P

8/08/2006 03:18:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard recommending books. Not everyone likes the same thing, but I don't see how you can get mad when someone doesn't like what you read.

If I went through the trouble of buying a book for someone and they didn't like it, I think I would be disappointed and not mad. And I hope they can bring themselves to give some constructive critisism as to why they didn't enjoy it as opposed to just saying "that book sucked".

What book is Passion? And what, pray tell, are jimmy fingers? Hahaha

8/08/2006 03:20:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Well, to be a writer, you really have to have a thick skin. However, it also applies to life too. Not everyone is going to like you, no matter how much you want them to. So you let it go.

Not everyone is going to like my writing--that's okay too. I would never censor anyones opinion. But it does take a certain amount of class to say you didn't like it, say it well and to do it with a funny slant to it. I've never been about trashing anyone--reader or author.

And where in there did you say I was right again? LOLLOL

DC :)

8/08/2006 03:25:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

>>>Now, Harlot SHE gets mad! Try to diss alexander in front of her and you'll see the fury of god in her! LOL LOL LOL

Oh please, that wasn't dissing! You're picking on TBH like a loony crow in a mad frenzy over some tasty morsel you need to freaking finish!!!

BESIDES, ADMIT IT, TBH IS AN AWESOME BOOK! ADMIT IT ADMIT IT ADMIT IT! YOU SAID SO YOURSELF, HMP. AND YOU ONLY DO THAT ALEXANDER THING TO GET ME ANGRY, YOU EVIL EVIL EVIL WOMAN!!!!

8/08/2006 03:27:00 PM  

Blogger Lola Lovegood said...

Jimmy fingers? Isn't that a Seinfeld quote? The one where Kramer has Jimmy legs (or is it arms?). Anyway, if it means what I think it means you might want to recommend that book to me Trollop LMAO

I don't usually recommend books, because my tastes are very particular. To this date, I have never received a free book I liked! I think my friends only give away those books they didn't like themselves, so I end up with a load of BS. They cannot get mad if I tell them I didn't like X book they gave me if they disliked it enough to give it away! =)

If I were an author and someone trashed my book I would get upset. Readers have a right to get mad about not liking a book, and authors have the same right to get mad about someone trashing their work. It should all stay civil though! Classy like Dakota said =)

8/08/2006 03:30:00 PM  

Blogger Sherry said...

Thanks Jolie, I think that everyone is bringing up valid view points.

Lola, it was the jimmy legs on Seinfeld

8/08/2006 03:39:00 PM  

Blogger Sherry said...

Dakota, I'm going to have to read your works. You already get high marks for being from TX. I'm from Dallas, but right now I'm in DC.

Harlot & Trollop, you guys just love to instigate each other!

8/08/2006 03:51:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Sherry,
Trollop's evil, i tell ya!

Actually, it's weird. Whenever she stops "making me mad", that's when i know there's something wrong. Er, that probably didn't make sense LOL. :/


Hey Dakota! :D

8/08/2006 04:35:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Dakota, LOL, you're right. :P

I agree really. And like Lola said, it should all stay civil.

8/08/2006 04:38:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Jolie?--THANK YOU! I don't hear it oft. LOL

VT?--Hmmm, Jimmy fingers. LOLLOL. Could be, m'love. Could be. If Jimmy's around, I'd highly recommend you keep him available. LOL. if you'd like-e-mail me and I'll send the print version of Whose Bride. I think I have one laying around here.

Hey, Harlot! Whassup, love?


Shery? Thanks, doll. I'm not originally from TX, but it's my home now :)

DC :)

8/08/2006 04:48:00 PM  

Blogger Sherry said...

Harlot, it makes sense - you guys just have that kind of wacky-fun relationship. I have a friend that I just love to argue with - of course it helps when they are on the same intellectual level.

Dakota, have you gotten use to the insane TX heat yet? It's the only thing that I don't miss.

8/08/2006 04:56:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Oy, Sherry, I don't think I'll EVER get used to it. LOL. I sure envy you being in DC and having the change of seasons. I sure miss that.

However, I've adjusted and the schools are really great. I have a terrific house for a whole lot less that I could've in NJ or NY :)

DC :)

8/08/2006 05:01:00 PM  

Blogger Sherry said...

Dakota, don't envy me too long. I'll be back in Dallas by the end of the year - just in time to miss the wicked DC winters.

TX housing costs are a fraction of what they are on the east coast. You can get yourself a McMansion in TX for the cost of a decent walk-up in NY.

Well, don't know how long you've been in TX, but here's a big HOWDY welcome from a native :-p

8/08/2006 05:14:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Ladies, loving the discussion here! And I agree, if you love a book and recommended it, don't expect everyone to love it. That's just crazy. But if someone recommended you a book and you know how much he/she loves it, don't be such a jerk by trashing it like there's no tomorrow. I think a simple "oh, I didn't like it" and why is enough.

8/08/2006 05:14:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

LOL--thanks, Sherry!

And I know what you mean. I have a Mcmansion now--as opposed to a med sized house in NJ. But that med sized house sold for almost a half a mil.

Caaa-raaazy, eh?

We should hook up and have lunch when ya get back :)

DC :)

8/08/2006 05:17:00 PM  

Blogger Sherry said...

That is crazy, Dakota! But that's east coast real-estate for ya. So, you're in the DFW area? I live in Highland Park - I'll let you know when I come back into town.

8/08/2006 05:21:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Yep. I'm in Plano. Still kinda finding my way around, so I'm not sure where HP is, but I've heard of it.

DC :)

8/08/2006 05:23:00 PM  

Blogger Sherry said...

Oh, Plano (very nice, but) - drug OD capital of the U.S. - all those rich kids with nothing better to do - do you have teenagers? Keep an eye on their friends! Don't mean to scare you, but it's something you need to know!

HP is a small, very nice neighborhood in the SMU area - Lots of older, very large homes. You need to check it out when you have time. Some of the best shopping is there. - Ralph Lauren, Tommy H, Banana R., Victoria Secret ... etc. and the staff really kiss your ass cause they want your $$$

8/08/2006 05:31:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Yeah, I'd heard that. However, I'm sort of bordering Plano, but still considered Plano. I'm more near Wylie. I do have teenagers. God save me. 16 and 12

I MUST go it they have Vic Secret. Aye carumba, baby. Love the Ipex. LOL

8/08/2006 05:36:00 PM  

Blogger Sherry said...

OK, well that's a place I'll have to take you to - I have my own personal shoppers there.

Well ladies, have a wonderful evening and try to stay out of trouble!

8/08/2006 05:39:00 PM  

Blogger Colleen Gleason said...

I think we're all entitled to not like something even our bestest friend and bosomest buddy loved. Even if they raved about it.

Even if they bought it for you. And you should be honest, if asked; but honest with tact.

And...don't feel bad, Trollop...I never could get into Outlander either.

8/08/2006 05:58:00 PM  

Blogger Dev said...

Don't tell me ~ there's actually someone else out there besides me who didn't like Outlander?! Could it be?

In fact, my best friend is the one who insisted I read outlander. I'm sorry...I could not get past the first chapter. If a book doesn't grab my attention right away, I probably won't finish it. There are way too many options out there and as I always say "Life's too short to read a bad book." In all fairness, I did try and even read the last chapter. The last chapter was good, but I never did read it.

I finally gave up and gave the book back to my friend and told her I just couldn't get into it. And that was the end. She and I almost always like the same types of stories, but on the rare occassions that we don't, it seems (at least to me) to be a rather pety thing to fight over. We've all got different tastes. I don't expect people to like the things I like (well, at least not all the time)...and vice versa.

8/08/2006 06:17:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Who's Bam, Hotmama? My books--most anyway, can be ordered at www.changelingpress.com. Just click on my name.

Hmmm, paranormal is pretty paranormal. Werewolves, vamps, genies, witches oh, my. LOL. I write humor--so my werewolves and such are a funnier take on things.

Contemps like Whose Bride is she anyway can be ordered in print or e-book and that's at www.liquidsilverbooks.com. That's a reality show based book.

I write the naughty stuff. LOL Erotic romances.

You can e-mail me if you'd like more info at Dakota@dakotacassidy.com I'd be happy to help ya out and thanks for the interest.

VT and H, sorry that got all promo-like. LOL

DC :)

8/08/2006 06:28:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Devonna and Colleen,
OMG, more Outlander haters like Trollop and me?!? *shock* I thought we're the only ones!

Seriously, HATE that gad-awful book. *gag* Claire, the time travelling adulteress and Jamie, the "hero" who gets turned on by beating his wife. Ack.


Hotmama,
You know i only read that book for Shosh. Since i lub her, i finished the book LOL. All i can say is i'm just happy she ended up loving TBH. :) (Speaking of TBH, have you read it already? ;-P)


Dakota,
No prob, chica. ;) Btw, don't listen to Trollop's complain. She just want some free books, that shameless heathen!

8/08/2006 06:41:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hotmama,

Sure we're all friends here. ;) (*cough* i better get some bribe *cough*)

8/08/2006 06:43:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Most of what I write is e-book, Hotmama. Though I do have a few in print available on Amazon :)

and I think from all this hype, I gotta read this Outlander. LOL

DC :)

8/08/2006 06:50:00 PM  

Blogger Erin the Innocent said...

I can send you a copy of Outlander if you want Dakota (along with SL66 for you to sign and send back LOL) and I won't be hurt if you don't love it LOL (even though I do)

8/08/2006 07:09:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

ooooh, thank you, Erin! I'll take it and I told you a long time ago I'd sign SL66 :)

DC :)

8/08/2006 09:02:00 PM  

Blogger ~ames~ said...

I missed the party! But I agree Trollop, honesty is the best policy. And you can't get mad at someone for their opinions. Well you can, but then you just end up looking like an idiot. :P

8/08/2006 10:19:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Ames, I've been meaning to say this, I love your pic! That's Sheera right? So cool! :D

Anyway, Trollop, when did you talk Passion? It's the Lisa Valdez one, right? I thought that book was weird (sorry Hotmama LOL). I mean, the sex was really hot, but I thought Mark was a bit of a pig. And forceful too, and not in a good way either.

About Outlander, Harlot, I loved that book! How dare you? LOL Maybe I should read this Bronze Horseman book so I can hate it and then trash it too. =P

8/08/2006 10:31:00 PM  

Blogger Erin the Innocent said...

Groovy! I'll get it into the mail this week : )

8/09/2006 12:28:00 AM  

Blogger ~ames~ said...

Thanks Jolie-it is She-Ra, the original princess of power. :P

I like your pic too.

8/09/2006 01:32:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know, Harlot, you get pretty defensive over boooks when we discuss them (*cough* SEP *cough*).

GWB, I agree to a certain extent about Paradise. I didn't think it was a piece of shit, but the parts where they all talked business lingo bored me to tears, not to mention that they were apart for a really long period of the book.

My moral code or lack thereof with books is simple: just tell the truth. I'm so not going to lie or pretend I like a book, which I hated. I'm just not that good an actress. I won't bash it unless I REALLY hate it, but I'm not going to feign admiration for this "outstanding piece of literature" or show gratitude for a book that I just didn't care for.

8/09/2006 10:51:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Linka, we we're dicussing books, LOL you know that's different. If you can say things why you hate the book, i can also say why i think the book is good. If you prefer someone who will just accept all of your jibs without answering, well, that's not me. Did i get mad though that you didn't like them? Of course not. ;)

8/09/2006 11:07:00 AM  

Blogger Mailyn said...

I don't care if people hate a book I love or recommend, it's their god-given perogative. I expect that an adult (and that's the key word) will not get upset if someone hates a book they love or recommend. but remember "adult" is the operative word. (^_~)

8/09/2006 11:52:00 AM  

Blogger C... said...

Yes. I agree. I hate romance novels because they are so fiercely corny. But the covers have some great pictures of the male physique.

8/09/2006 01:44:00 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Ladies, I'm so lost. I just got back from JAMAICA and I am SO behind in my Bitch Read.

Book recs, I'll just leave my opinion out but as for Hotmama and her reading TBH, ahem, *ducking head*, um, I ah told her (please don't hit me Harlot) that even though I loved it that she should stay away from it. Please don't black ball me! I just think it's too freaking heart breaking. There, I said it.

Excellent writing though. And I did go on to read T&A (loved) but I refuse to read TSG.

BTW, I missed you guys :)

*** Dakota, can I email you too? I want some insight into your books too. He he, I like the naughty :P

8/09/2006 02:17:00 PM  

Blogger maximo said...

there's one book that everyone loves: the dice man, by luke rhinehart.

8/09/2006 02:25:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Maximo, I loved that book. It's hilarious and violent at the same time, very entertaining.

8/09/2006 05:57:00 PM  

Blogger maximo said...

so do most of you people mostly only read trashy novels and other crap?

praises for heelers' most recent blog entry. find him to find good writing.

8/10/2006 12:47:00 AM