Wednesday, March 28, 2007

How fat is Min?

I’m listening to the audio of Bet Me (fabulous reader!) and noticed that Jennifer Crusie never tells us exactly how overweight Minerva is.

I was wondering if she did this on purpose so that all us “sturdy” gals around the world could relate in our own chubby way to her.

There are parts in the book where I think she’s on the thin side of plump:


Diana looked up, mystified. “You know, this is an eight, it should fit.” “In what universe?” Min said, outraged. “I wasn’t an eight at birth. Who ordered this thing?”

Min took a deep breath and popped the button on her skirt. “Look, Mother, I am never going to be thin. I’m Norwegian. If you wanted a thin daughter, you should not have married a man whose female ancestors carried cows home from the pasture.”


Parts where I’m left speculating exactly how chunky this woman is:


Min stared at herself in the mirror... and thought, I’d kill myself, but this is not the last thing I want to see before I go. She was once again in the blue skirt that zipped up only when she sucked in all the air in the room, the lavender chiffon blouse that still pulled across the bust, and the new blue corset that only laced shut when Min gave up breathing and the fitter used the force of ten. Why would Cal want to sleep with somebody who looks like this?

Min came out of the dressing room, and Nanette said, “It still doesn’t fit,” in a tone that did not bode well for her fat daughter.


And parts when I downright think she’s obese:


She slid out from under his arm, and picked up his shirt from the floor. When she put it on, it failed to meet in the middle over her chest. That always works in the movies, she thought, disgusted, and dropped it on the floor.


I really don’t get how his shirt would not fit! My BF is a size M and I’m somewhere between an M and an L and his shirts are huge on me!

In my mind she looks more or less like this Rubens’ painting.** How do you ladies imagine her?



**Peter Paul Rubens, The Union of Earth and Water, C 1618

Labels: , , ,


26 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm listening to Bet Me in audio too! The reader is good and entertaining. I love her voice for Tony.

I imagine Min on the fat side of chubby. Not huge but definitely not small either.

Like the painting Trollop.

3/28/2007 01:27:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this book last summer, it made me laugh literally out loud. But as for Min's physical appearance I think she's a lil bigger

3/28/2007 02:04:00 PM  

Blogger Aradia said...

I read the book 2 years ago. Good story and loved the shoes, too! But no, I didn't think Minerva was fat or (PC) big. I had the feeling her mother and sister were skinny bitches to tell you the truth! In US size 10-12 or even 14 are very normal even in size conscious California. You can find every thing in large sizes. On the other hand if you are looking for a size 2 or 4? Forget it! The important thing is to dress well. As in the book, it was the main thing. Minerva was dressing badly, boring business suits, baggy clothes, jeans…that sort of things. Remember Tony loved her in that soft pink (or was it blue) cardigan? She was well proportioned! No, she was bad dressed not fat!

3/28/2007 02:32:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pictured her as a size 16 or 18 n US sizes. Like a 38 inch waist I guess. Chunky but with clothes cut right looking cute/curvy. Maybe a little bigger than the picture.

When she says that her "chest" wouldn't fit in her mans shirt I thought it was cause she was busty. I couldn't fit in my man's in the chest but the stomach area I can. That is the way I took it.

I thought her to be chubby but people are their own worst critics so she saw herself as fatter.

3/28/2007 05:21:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too GWB. I thought she was just being very hard on herself from brainwashing mother. I picture Min as very very voluptuous, like the pic but way more busty. And if her BF is wearing tailored dress shirts...... it'd be very humbling, lol.
I think she's a very well endowed 16.

3/28/2007 07:38:00 PM  

Blogger Menchie said...

Trollop now you've got me thinking about this. I admit I didn't pay too much attention while I was reading the book -- I was too busy sighing over Cal.

Maybe she is rubenesque like in the painting only with bigger boobs though I can't imagine not fitting into Cal's shirt since I think he's described as a tall guy and well built.

3/28/2007 08:24:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm Norwegian. If you wanted a thin daughter, you should not have married a man whose female ancestors carried cows home from the pasture."

Being Norwegian myself, I'm not sure how to interpret this. Hmmm.

3/28/2007 08:49:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Bet Me is one of my favorite JC. Funny that I never really thought of Min as "fat". I think I see her as Cal does, attractive and curvaceous (though with Cal around, I didn't give that much attention as to what Min really looks like, lol).

3/29/2007 10:26:00 AM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I've always thought of Min as this busty babe who only thinks of herself as fat because of her mum. But if she can't get into Cal's shirt (which I can't remember reading) I'm beginning to think she's a lot bigger than what I imagined her to be. With that said, I loved Bet Me.

3/29/2007 10:42:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea who Min is. I've never read Jen Crusie but this reminds me of Amanda on Lisa Kleypas' Suddenly You. Unlike most romance heroines, she too is on the flabby side. Despite that though, the hero (who is very sexy) thinks she's the most beautiful woman on earth. You have to admire a man like that.

3/29/2007 11:07:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I think Min is size 14 or 16, average American size. That's not obese. Although I have no idea why Cal's shirt wouldn't fit.

3/29/2007 11:34:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

I think this painting shows Min's body. I don't think she's really fat but she's not one of those skinny heroines either.

3/29/2007 01:40:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Oh I love, love, love Bet Me. Cal, sigh... I think Min is this curvy, busty girl. Though she must have really huge boobs not to fit into Cal's shirt...

3/29/2007 01:55:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I don't know why but I've always imagined Min as a Renee Zelwegger look a like in the Bridget Jones movies. Chubby but not huge.

3/29/2007 02:26:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I LOVE CAL!!!

3/29/2007 02:27:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I don't remember Min that, er big. I mean Cal is tall and a fairly muscular guy. I don't see why his shirt won't fit Min. Unless the shirt is really small and Min is truly boobastic...

3/29/2007 03:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Min is size 16. Not obese but definitely not small. Trollop, love the painting and I love Cal!

Olly

3/29/2007 03:36:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I L O V E and will always L O V E Matt Farrell. Er, wait. I think that's another book.. :/

3/29/2007 04:09:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The not fitting into Cal's shirt thing... isn't she talking about buttoning the "chest" and couldn't? That means she has some good size breast, not that she is a super fatty. IMO

3/29/2007 05:48:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Min is fat. My image of her is almost the same as the one in the painting but has a lot when it comes to the chest area.

3/29/2007 05:56:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Min is a size 14 and I love it that a hunk like Cal is attracted by her "round" body.

The book is amazing, funny, witty and the right antedote for people constantly fighting their weights (like me).

But it is the stuff of fairy tales *sigh*

3/31/2007 09:04:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

Luci, I'm with you. I love it too that Cal adores Minerva just the way she is. Women are already hard on themselves when it comes to weight, so to have someone like Cal on your side, that's awesome I think.

3/31/2007 10:11:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I love that Cal cooks for Min. *sigh*

3/31/2007 10:31:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I think Min is size 14 and really busty. This is the book I want Jenny Crusie to write a sequel to. I love Cal and the way he loves Min. Sigh.

3/31/2007 02:23:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh i have to agree about Cal cooking for Min *sigh* and how Cal ADORES Min, just the way she is. *sigh*

4/01/2007 09:07:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Min was fat. Size 16 is grossly overweight. Keep in mind that the current size 16 is like a size 18 or 20 but manufactures want women to keep lying to ourselves. I couldn't get pass the first few chapters of that book. I joined the gym instead.

4/03/2007 11:04:00 PM