Sunday, October 28, 2007

And then he kissed her and I couldn't give a flying f***

I just read my first Laura Lee Guhrke novel, And Then He Kissed Her. I’m pretty sure I’d never heard of this author, though for some reason her name is somewhat familiar? *confused*

It’s been a long time since I’ve come upon a book with so much unfulfilled potential. I don’t know how, or when, it started turning into a heap of repetitive garbage. I loved the first half of the book. Absolutely loved it. I even—misguidedly, I admit—recommended it to Harlot and told her to buy it ASAP (don’t kill me, babe LOL) but the second half... I don’t even know how to explain it because I am truly baffled. There were great characters, clever writing, an engaging story, witty dialogue... HOW DID IT GO SO WRONG?

By the time it got to the part when he kissed her I couldn’t give two hoots. I started skimming over the rest. The sex scenes were particularly horrid; very mechanic and unimagined. I’m thinking, and there’s like a 0.001% chance that I might be wrong here, that an Amish virgin could’ve written something equally “passionate.”

I hated that she became his mistress and how they started spending every weekend on some cottage in the woods or whatever; it was really out of character for both of them! And I need someone to explain to me when, exactly, did these people fall in love? The lust part I sort of very loosely got, but the falling in love? Maybe I missed a chapter or two?

Labels:


6 comment(s):

Blogger Shosh said...

That part must have been the part you've skimmed over...or maybe it was edited out? LOL.

It sounds like Carson McCullers - The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter. The characters are so vivid and very 3-D and well develop...except she forgot about the plot. I now realized that I'd rather have my cardboards characters running around doing excellent plot because I get entertained. Too much characater and not enough plot just doesn't do it for me.

10/28/2007 08:51:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol!

Her name does sound familiar but I havent heard of her either. It kind of reminds me of Linda Lael Miller. Never read either of their books and I dont think I'm too eager to read this one =S

10/29/2007 01:38:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

That was funny!

Read one LLG book and I really liked it - Guilty Pleasures. If ever you try that one Trollop, let us know what you think.
;)

10/29/2007 10:36:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

I think her name sounds familiar to some because she got involved with some "scandal" last year together with author Jaid Black, fighting publicly in some bulletin board somewhere.

10/29/2007 10:41:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

You said it's fucking good! :@

Gah. Mechanical and unimaginative sex, that even an Amish girl could have done better, should be illegal.

10/29/2007 01:32:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

You didn't missed a chapter. I read this book and I agree with your little findings. Try The Marriage Bed, that one is better.

10/30/2007 12:10:00 AM