Friday, October 24, 2008

I want to be hungover

I can’t remember the most recent time I closed a book with a satisfied sigh. You know the kind of story, the ones that leave you wanting more and won’t let you concentrate on any other book for days because you are still thinking/dreaming about it?

I believe the last book I read that left me with that blissful I-want-more feeling was either Bet Me or Welcome to Temptation both by Jennifer Crusie. I honestly can’t recall exactly when this was, but suffice it to say it was definitely over 3 years ago. Or maybe it was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? That might actually be more accurate but it’s unfair to compare HP with anything else so we’ll leave J.K. Rowling aside for this post.

I don’t know why I find it was easier to come across good reads before. Or perhaps it was just because the romance genre was new to me so I had a pile of fabulous must-read books to get through? I recall when I first read Paradise and Almost Heaven; I couldn’t believe how wonderful Judith McNaught was and how much she made me care for her characters and story line. Same thing with my first Susan Elizabeth Phillips read, Lady Be Good; not only did I fall head-over-heels in love with Emma and Kenny but I laughed so much at their antics my tummy ached.

It’s sad to say that none of these authors’ latest books have done anything for me. The only writer I can count on always delivering is Marian Keyes. Yes, Sushi for Beginners and The Other Side of the Story weren’t up to her usual standards but, hot-damn, even those are great. I’m saving myself for This Charming Man, her newest, like a virgin in a regency novel LOL. I really, really want to read it but at the same time can’t bring myself to because what awaits for me after that?

I’m in a sad state of affairs where romance novels are concerned. I need, more than ever, book recommendations. And not just plain old good. I want have-me-sitting-at-the-edge-of-my-sit-leaves-you-with-a-hangover good!

Labels: , , , ,


7 comment(s):

Blogger ... said...

Hello! It's nice to see your pixels again. :)

I just read DANCE by Judy Cuevas (aka Judith Ivory). It's the sequel to BLISS. Both are awesome -- if you can find them, as they're also most unfortunately out of print. I have no idea why.

I've also been reading Patricia Gaffney's OOP backlist. I like her writing, for the most part. Her women's fiction (sort of like Marian Keyes, I guess) is still in print and they're good too; I prefer her romances, though. Esp CROOKED HEARTS and OUTLAW IN PARADISE.

Robin McKinley published a new book: CHALICE. I liked it quite a bit.

And I must recommend SLINGS & ARROWS. It's a tv show, but omg, do I ever love it. You know how some books make you stay up all night because it's so awesome all you want to do is stay immersed in the story? This is the TV equivalent. It's got everything: great writing, great acting, great characters, Canadians, Shakespeare... It's 3 seasons of 6 episodes - more like a mini-series, really, than the usual 22-24 episode format.

10/24/2008 11:04:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Oh yeah. For a book that's in print, I just re-read Lisa Kleypas' Then Came You. I'd forgotten how much I like this book, and possibly, how atypical it sort of is for the romance genre. I mean, there's still some stuff in it that's a bit purple and clichéd, but overall, I like the characters and how they resolve their issues.

10/24/2008 11:17:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've no real suggestions at the moment, but can I say its good to see you back. Missed you lots, even though I'd become a terrible lurker.

And Lipo?!?!?!? A bit brave or what

Love
Tisty

10/25/2008 01:22:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Titsy: Lipo was nothing really. I think people that go through life with a huge spare tire like the one I had are far braver LOL

Dance?,

Thank you so much for the recs. I didn't read anything this weekend :( But will definitely get some of the books you mentioned. And I will most definitely watcch Slings & Arrows. Will check about renting the first seasons.

10/27/2008 09:31:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

two books from this summer I really enjoyed: Hot by Julia Harper- LMAO and made me feel good- just like Bet Me by J Cruise. Also, The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter- this is first in Lords of the Underworld series and all the books so far are very good.

For the wholesome good feeling I usually stick with Rachel Gibson, Susan Anderson, Susan Donovan and Kristan Higgins. For adventure try Pamela Clare-start with Extreme Exposure and then go to the next books. Each of these authors are must buys for me and leave me thinking about the book after it's done.

However, the only books I have ever read that keep me dreaming about them for extended nights are ones that you didn't care much for- the BDB series by JR Ward and Dark Hunters series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Acheron came out 2 months ago and that book made me feel every emotion for a few nights.

I have tons others but just wanted to give you some ideas....

10/27/2008 09:24:00 PM  

Blogger Shoshana said...

Well, I went to mystery when I get frustrated with romance.

I think I'm in love with Jack Reacher. Lee Child's hero. True there's not much romance in the books, but hot damn! The reader gives me a hard on if I have something to go hard, that is.

Shoshana

10/29/2008 01:26:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Thanks for the recommendation ladies. I'm making a list and checking it twice, I'm going to find which is good and which not, Vicious Trollop is coming to town!!!!

No idea where that came from LOL

10/29/2008 04:35:00 PM