Saturday, April 14, 2007

What came first: the chicken or the shoe?

I am tired—let me say that again and louder this time—I AM TIRED of reading, watching and hearing about women who are “like, so obsessed with shoes!”

Every heroine, character in a TV show or movie and blogger claims to be madly fixated on owning a gazillion pair of shoes after Sex and the City aired in 1998. And I wonder, shouldn’t these women be spending their money on buying themselves a personality instead of a pair of strappy sandals? Honestly people, had the “ladies” been obsessed with nail polish would that be what you would be collecting now?

Also, give me a freaking break; are we supposed to believe all these liars people have the salary a designer shoe mania requires?

Labels: ,


26 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh god so funny! LOL!

Well, i do love love looooove shoes, always have, but i'm not obsess and/or don't crave pictures of them to keep me up. Honestly people, that's what chocolates are for. Also, so true babe about the salary thingy. *snicker* I swear, some fakers talk about 700 dollars shoes like they're really affordable. Er, i'm sorry, what do you people do again for a living?

Anyway, i do love to shop. That's my thing really, and believe it or not, i'm at the mall twice a week. Well, i'm bored. :S (When i was still at school, make that 4 times LOL. My school is surrounded with them.) The thing is, when i go shopping, the FIRST thing i always look for are, yes, shoes. However, i have fucking HUGE feet and i live in a land where women conspire against me to have fucking small feet and it's always been a constant sorrow that i usually loose shoes i want because there's no fucking size!!! *sniff*

4/14/2007 08:09:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

See I don't get the shoe thing at all! I wear the same pair of shoes until they die and then I go get some more!! Just don't get it at all! And I have to confess that sometimes I feel a bit abnormal because I apparently don't have the female gene that causes this condition!

4/14/2007 08:12:00 AM  

Blogger Menchie said...

I love shoes too but I don't think I will ever own a pair of Jimmy Choos or Manolos in this lifetime -- they're like my food/grocery budget for the month.

Since my feet ballooned to a size 9 after giving birth twice I had to replace all my pre-pregnancy shoes.

4/14/2007 08:36:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Marg,
How's TATIANA'S TABLE? :D



OMG Menchie!
Are you saying feet get bigger when you give birth??? I know they sorta balloon when you're pregnant but i didn't know they get stuck like that or that your feet won't return to its pre-baby phase!

I have size 10 feet, sometimes 9. You know how hard it is to get bigger sizes in Manila. :S I love Schu. I usually get pritti shoes there with big sizes. But even they don't always stock the size 40. :/

4/14/2007 09:36:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I love shoes too but I won't buy any 500 dollar shoes, that's too much!

4/14/2007 10:18:00 AM  

Blogger Girlie said...

I ♥ shoes long before Sex and..

I don't think I'm obsessed. I mean, I try to keep my pairs undes 100, or whatever my garage can hold without anyone seeing just how many pairs I have...I'd rather be known as that girl with tons of books.

We will not mention my over a hundred pair of thongs in sizes XXS-to med, ones which I can fit now because after 5 children (which I love) it will take a miracle or hundreds of hours in the gym.

How come no one mentions underwear obsession?

4/14/2007 10:27:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got to admit that I love shoes, but I'm definitely not obsessed with them. I've had my favorite pair of sneakers for two years now, and they're beginning to look a little shabby to be honest, because I'm always wearing them, but they're really comfortable.

My love for shoes comes from being kinda chubby and weirdly shaped, so it's hard to find clothes that fit me right. But my feet are size 4.5, and I can always count on finding shoes that look fabulous. Thus, I love shoes. I don't go for designer shoes though: I'm of the opinion that cheap can still be cute.

4/14/2007 10:39:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I love shoes too. It's every woman's right to love shoes. But there is no way I'm buying ridiculously over priced Manolos when I can use the money to buy more important things.

Shoshana, what about bags obsession? Hello Louis Vuitton! lol

4/14/2007 10:46:00 AM  

Blogger Miss L said...

I'm a window shopper - or in this age, an browser window shopper ;) I love looking a shoes, but I also love looking at other things too (clothes, bags, lighting fixtures, plates and glasses). I would never spend five hundred dollars on shoes when it could get me a plane ticket somewhere fabulous! and sometimes I'd rather spend my time reading, or cooking, or watching a movie *gasp* than shopping. but it all comes down to priorities, and when you make as little as I do, having about ten pairs of shoes makes sense (and is the only option)!

4/14/2007 11:19:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love shoes. But i prefer 6 $100 ones then 1 $600 one. Although I would probably just have 3 $100 lol!!

4/14/2007 12:34:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

UGH! I soooo don't get the whole shoe obsession. To me, shoes are a necessary evil. I have them in basic colors/styles for each season. I'd rather be barefoot or wear thongs year round.

Now watches? For some reason, I have a watch obsession. I'm not talking about Rolexes. I mean the kind you buy from discount stores up to nice department stores. I just love to look at watches and, if I'm really lucky, one will call my name and I HAVE to bring it home with me. Recently, I realized that when one calls, I never think to look at the price tag, so it's probably a GOOD thing I don't browse in places more expensive than department stores.

4/14/2007 03:04:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoshana mentioned the underwear obsession. Now that's what I have. I buy a pair even if I already have a lot that some of them I have yet to use. Some are still in their small packages and yet I keep buying for more! It's a sickness to be honest.

Olly

4/14/2007 03:37:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Are we supposed to believe all these people have the salary a designer shoe mania requires?

Lol. You're right: liars. I love shoes too but I'm not going to spend more than $100 on them.

4/14/2007 03:46:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

LOL. I love shoes too but I think some people are just delusional. Or a bunch of trying hard posers.

4/14/2007 05:33:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I love shoes. When I have a pretty pair on, it makes me feel more womanly. :P I don't always buy a new pair though. Usually only when there's an occasion or an important party. And there's no way I'm not going to spend $500 on shoes.

4/14/2007 05:49:00 PM  

Blogger carla cursino said...

Oh, girls...
We need shoes and a good heart.

4/14/2007 06:16:00 PM  

Blogger Claudia said...

I too loooove love love shoes. However, no, I will not spend that kind of money on shoes...are they insane??? This is why I love TJMaxx...

4/14/2007 06:55:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

My mom is obsessed with shoes. If we had the same size feet, I would never have to buy shoes (except for comfortable ones). But we don't.

The only shoes I obsess about are the ones my horse wears, but I'm pretty sure that's not normal. ;)

I usually only have one pair for everyday stuff until they wear out. I prefer to spend my money elsewhere. :D

4/14/2007 07:09:00 PM  

Blogger Aradia said...

Thanks Trollop for pointing this out. Why people are obsessed with shoes? I can’t understand it either. I have nice comfortable shoes that complete my outfits but have shoe mania? No way! I pay a moderate price for the comfort of my feet. I can’t understand why some one would spend a pretty penny on designer shoes, shoes that you can not walk in them! Bags on the other hand?! Call me in any time! :D I have to agree with Vanessa (although I’m not that brand conscious). I adore my handbag collection!
By the way there is this area I figured recently I have been neglecting: Jewelry. I somewhat collect medallions and pendants. When I travel I try to find a nice pendant to bring it back (a souvenir for myself). But other jewelry as in rings and earrings and bracelets? I’ve been so neglectful! I am trying to make up for that now!  No worries! 

4/14/2007 09:31:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well isn't this a new and interesting angle for a shoe discussion LOL.

I also used to be an 8 and after babies I'm a 9 and can no longer wear my prebaby shoes.

I like shoes the way I like jewelry. To complement and complete an outfit...and make my legs look nice (hopfully)

4/14/2007 09:40:00 PM  

Blogger Jo said...

I love shoes.... pretty shoes.... only pretty in my opinion though.... I cringed when i have to pay $40 for shoes.... I love Target for sneakers and some dressy shoes.... My cousin is going to prom this yeah and took me shoe shopping... Her dress is black and i convinced her that since her dress is black she can wear whatever shoe she wants.... i picked out a lovely red plaid pump for her..... and now i covet them and cry that they are too small. So pretty.... *sob*

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/store/product.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302028392&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442146178&bmUID=1176606036765

4/14/2007 11:19:00 PM  

Blogger SarahReznor said...

i dont get the shoe thing, it's SO hard for me to fall inlove with a pair of shoes. i buy books... a lot of them. and magazines.. that's my problem!

4/15/2007 10:03:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not a shoe collector but I do like shoes. I'm more of a sneaker person though. I don't go nuts but I do have about 5 pair of sneakers, 2 pair of trampy boots and 5 pair of dress shoes.

Saying that, I've never paid more than $80 on a pair of shoes. All my sneakers are on-sale Nikes and my dress shoes are all clearance Naturalizer and my slutty boots were buy one get one 1/2 off so I got black and chocolate brown ;)

I never buy shoes just to buy them. I always have an occasion, like a wedding or such that I had to wear something specific so I had to get matching shoes. My gym shoes I change up every time I go to the gym so they don't get stinky and worn out.

I will admit, wearing a sexy pair of shoes makes me feel good. I walk with a little more sway in the hips and stand a bit more... I don't know, confident, maybe?

Girls who go in debt for shoes are crazy/stupid. Books on the other hand...

4/15/2007 10:59:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I don't have a shoe obsession. Books and chocolates however...

4/15/2007 04:08:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty shoes are very important but I refuse to spend more than $100 on a pair of shoes.

4/15/2007 04:36:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I love shoes. Shoes can make or break an outfit and women should feel free to take advantage of pretty shoes. But I don't understand why some people would spend so much on designer shoes, or why others have this crazy fixation on very expensive shoes they can't afford, when they can get shoes in the same design and style but in a much lower price!

4/16/2007 11:29:00 AM