Monday, November 26, 2007

Knock: A very common word, really

I stayed up till the early hours of the morning to finish Enchanting Pleasures by Eloisa James; it’s been a long time since I’ve done that with a book. I really enjoyed the story and the characters. I thought it was well written, entertaining and slightly different than your normal historical. Besides the Whitney-My-Lovish constant misunderstandings, I thought it was splendid.

Now, besides the little annoyances that most—if not all—romance novels usually provoke in me, I found that Ms. James use of the word “scratch” when referring to someone knocking a door really got on my nerves.


There was a scratch at her door. Gabby hastily scrubbed at the tearstains on her cheeks and stood up.

To his relief, Quill heard a scratching at the door.

Margaret scratched on the door and Gabby snatched it open.


I mean, what the fuck? Are these characters dogs or people? Who’s even heard of such a thing? WHO SCRATCHES DOORS??!?!?!?! Why would you claw at a door when it usually makes your teeth hurt, besides just knowing that you could lose a couple of nails in the process! Also, I very much doubt anyone inside would hear the “scratching” so it's quite pointless to begin with (unless you were that guy with the claws in, er, in that whatsis paranormal I read earlier this year).

What was up with that?

Labels: ,


15 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhm, if I tell you scratching is correct for the period, will that help?

Sarah, whose been a bad author already today and might as well go for the whole shebang. :)

11/26/2007 11:40:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

"if I tell you scratching is correct for the period, will that help?"

It is? That sounds weird. LOL

11/26/2007 12:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think of it as having a proper mousey demeanor. :)

11/26/2007 12:15:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I guess it's like saying I weigh 9 stones, which is a lie. :P

11/26/2007 12:29:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol.
It is very mouse/dog/cat like.

This book sounds good though. I'll give it a try and ignore the whole 'scratching' thing.

11/26/2007 04:04:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

I like this series. Have you read the other two books? Potent Pleasures and then Midnight Pleasures.

11/26/2007 05:43:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I liked this book. It's very romantic and I liked the heroine a lot. She tried to help the hero with his illness and they "experimented" a lot at night, LOL. How Quinn solved his problem was a bit far-fetched but all in all, it was a very enjoyable book.

11/26/2007 06:11:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've actually got this book on my TBB list. Can't wait until I'm past deadline and can enjoy it.

11/26/2007 06:32:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Have you read Eloisa James' latest, An Affair Before Christmas?

I liked it - and no scratching in it that I could remember ;) - though a little more so for the secondary characters than the main romance.

11/26/2007 09:00:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Have yet to read An Affair Before Christmas. Although I like romance with Christmas themes. :) Jeez, Christmas is almost here!

11/27/2007 12:27:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Dance, I just got an affair before xmas and will get to it this week :D

Sarah, no, it doesn't make me feel any better! LOL

It was horrible reading about all that "Scratching". I don't get historical authors; they are horribly inconsistent on historical facts and things that really matter but have their character scratching doors like dogs? She might have added a footnote in the book for us non scratching folks tounderstand!

11/27/2007 05:28:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this story as well. In fact, I like all the trilogy.

11/28/2007 02:36:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't noticed all the scratching you know...I might just re-read the book and count how many scratching I can find.

11/28/2007 02:37:00 PM  

Blogger Alice said...

LOL at the scratching. It does make them sound like dogs..

Btw, I love the snowflakes!

12/02/2007 12:27:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've loved every EJ book, one and all, more or less :D For me her books have an element of intelligence and wit that few others do.

I just read one with "scratching" at the door too, Trollop. It was a Mary Reed McCall. So funny you brought it up because it bugged the hell out of me too, LOL.

12/04/2007 04:01:00 PM